ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Sen. Xenophon calls for "cult watchdog" agency

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by mnql1, Apr 15, 2011.

1. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Call for agency watch on cults

2. Emma

Emma Con te partirĂ² Administrator

I love Nick Xenophon.

I just do. :D

3. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

That would be a great thing. At present there is nobody to complain to about harmful practices of groups disguised as a 'religion'.

At present we know what some cult-like groups can too easily get away with.

Great work Senator Xenophon, keep at it!

:thumbsup:

4. namaste

namaste Silver Meritorious Patron

f'xd

5. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

More products from the Aussie critics.

6. Absolutely if cults can use the government to shield them under the umbrella of religious freedom then the government should be responsible to shield the public from them.

7. Infinite

Infinite Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

[​IMG]

L E G E N D

8. Annonny

Annonny Guest

I bet the CoS is digging real hard into Xenophon's background to find some dirt. I just hope they don't manage to shut him up, like they did to Bob Minton. I'm sure OSA is working overtime right now, trying to creat a little "Xenophon Freakout".

9. shadow

shadow Patron with Honors

Nick is doin' it right!

I love to see abuse under scrutiny; especially when that abuse is cloaked in religion and has special tax privileges.

10. Daisy

Daisy Patron with Honors

Thank you Sen Xenophon and all the Aussies who helped make this happen.

11. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

I don't really like the idea of the government intervening on things ideological/religious/life choices, BUT, CofS warrants this. So do some other cults.

Sadly, I guess we do need things like this.

12. SaguaroRose

SaguaroRose Patron with Honors

Just wish we had some senators like Nick Xenophon in America.....:clap:

13. Annonny

Annonny Guest

He doesn't interfere with religious choice, provided they indeed are choices. He just wants to make sure that whoever wants to leave- can.
    In addition, it is up for the government to enforce the law and make sure that a "religion" does not do anything illegal. For example - I do believe that the molesting catholic priests need to be criminally prosecuted and in some countries they indeed were.

14. Happy Days

Happy Days Silver Meritorious Patron

Too right :thumbsup:

Hard not too :yes:

15. Mystic

Mystic Crusader

Dear Buddha and GheeBus and Quan Yin please send us a Xenophon for the USA.

16. me myself & i

me myself & i Patron Meritorious

Dear Mystic, your bonafide spiritual petition has been duly received, noted, and approved. In the coming days (of 'this spiritual season') your wish has become our command.

It is our fervent & certain hope & trust you do not find the physical manifest nature of Mr. Xenophon's coming American counterpart to be a distraction. As being a woman carries with it certain unique & inherent spiritual qualities that are called for and necessary in the fulfillment of your (and our) ultimate Spiritual Aim.

Sincerely,
    Buddha, GheeBus & Quan Yin

Co-signed by: THALES, SOCRATES, PLATO, ARISTOTLE: PLOTINUS, ST AUGUSTINE, ST ANSELM, ST AQUINAS, MACHIAVELLI, DESCARTES: HOBBES, SPINOZA, MALEBRANCHE, LOCKE, LEIBNIZ, BERKELEY, HUME, ROUSSEAU, KANT, FICHTE, HEGEL, KIERKEGUAARD, SHOPENHAUER, MILL, FREGE, RUSSELL, WITTGENSTEIN, HEIDEGGER, SARTE, and others too numerous too mention here.

Future Historical Footnote: Marx declined to sign up or on. As did Jack the Ripper.

17. smartone

smartone My Own Boss

The Government has expressed doubts over its constitutional powers to introduce a watchdog body.

But what does it mean by this. Sounds a bit contradictory.

18. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

It means that the Gubmint is afraid of getting its hands dirty.
    Senator Xenophon isn't the Gubmint, we just wish he was.

19. FoTi

FoTi Crusader

Well....if they don't find anything, they will just make it up, like they've done before. Since when does the CoS let truth stand in their way?

LRH spoke of "The Road to Truth",..... he just neglected to say that it didn't exist in the CoS.

20. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

The Government knows it has the powers, it just wants to see what kinda opposition there will be to the idea - just like before the Inquiry went ahead.

There will be no credible opposition to the idea, because it is sound.

:yes: