ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Should Scientologists have the right to practice Scientology?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Emma, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Anonycat

Anonycat Crusader

2. Magoo

Magoo Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks, Clamicide!

This is *exactly* why I asked. I've been having a discussion with a new friend from Anonymous
    re ExScientologists and how often many still use words in cult ways. As he's pointed out: "It's not always
    the word that is thought stopping..it's the WAY the word is used".

He's given me some examples---so I'm still learning. I get what you're saying about "generalities" and it's True,
    $cientology Are the Masters of Generalities, starting with "SP", "Out Ethics", Irresponsible", "Low toned"---all of which
    THEY are and won't admit..... and on.

Personally I still have a hard time with "All_____are____". Really? I had trouble w/ this way before
    Scientology. I grew up in Chicago where there was a great deal of racism. My parents taught me:
    "Don't ever buy into the "All___are_____". Meet the person, learn who they are and decide for yourself
    Then, based on WHO they are and WHAT they do, vs what others say about them".

So I see what you're saying, and I still say basic generalities are not true, not just 'cause Hubbard
    said so----my parents taught me that and it's helped me, greatly, all of my life.

I agree "generalities" CAN be used to stop one's observations and that's :bs: plain and simple.
    "Have you ever done a course?" is a famous OSA Line to try to stop someone's view.
    My suggestion to s/one who was never "in":
    "No---and while we're at it, Have you ever done any courses in the Nazi Concentration Camps?"
    "Yet you have very strong feelings about those, don't you?"

Ok, Ok...I brought in the Nazi's.
    Alright---switch it to any other abusive group you've never been a part of but KNOW is abusive:
    KKK. So I do see your point, too, clamicide.

Maybe more have commented on this, and I apologize if I missed it. I'm not good on following
    40+ pages on a thread. Time ticks on................

My best :rose:

Tory/Magoo

3. Anonycat

Anonycat Crusader

I commented to my little son, something about wars. I explained that they are always wrong, because there are no bad people, but some individuals do behave badly. This cannot ever justify attacking an entire country.

4. Anonycat

Anonycat Crusader

I commented to my little son, something about wars. I explained that they are always wrong, because there are no bad people, but some individuals do behave badly. This cannot ever justify attacking an entire country.

Bad groups are another thing.

5. clamicide

clamicide Gold Meritorious Patron

@Magoo. I'm going to reply to this further later... after I haven't been through a move from hell (will spare everyone the story).

But, as a quickie... on the surface, the harm of the term is how it is used. The problem is, those within a cultic framework have already brought their definition down to a level where a word equates to certain thing, as it has been used to stop thought and has been assimilated into how they react to that word.

Therefore, when someone who uses the normal English word and use of 'generalities', most people would not have any particular reaction. However, a Scio could very possibly, without fully being cognizant of it, have reactions that will shut down any thought beyond that. The word, in their world, has taken on a very strict black/white meaning.

The terms can also be used by exes to blanket something that would be 'so obvious', but someone who has never been in a cult sees the nuances and is lost a bit. I do see this sort of thing play out.

OK, back to life (OK, maybe just relaxing for the first time in 2 weeks)... but, I'm definitely a fan of Lifton's work. Reading excerpts doesn't begin to capture a lot of it.

6. Magoo

Magoo Gold Meritorious Patron

Hey Clamicide,

ARE you my friend I've been talking with re words? Your descriptions sound just like his!
    Anyways---he's been a huge help to me. Who knew ExScios were still using the lingo? He's actually
    writing a book about it, I think. Thanks for your in put :thankyou:

Good luck on moving:duh:

I agree re Lifton---read him often, and am never disappointed. :thumbsup:

My best :rose:

Tory/Magoo

7. jmc5682

jmc5682 New Member

I am not a Scientologist and never have been a Scientologist, but I am in favor of human rights for all and I am against any "church" that extorts money from it's followers, breaks up families, and does not allow followers to question it's doctrine. There are many other reasons I have issues with the Organization of Scientology (Let us be clear that is certainly is not a church) but I do not want to write an epistle. I do think Scientologist should have the right to practice Scientology. I am just confused why any Scientologist who has left the church, and researched the truth about LRH and his tech would want to practice any part of Scientology. We know LRH was a liar and a con artist. We know he just made up this so called religion for financial gain and fame. We know that not one OT has been able to show any advanced powers. We know that the state of Clear is bogus. So why would anyone follow any LRH once they know the truth? There are so many really good self help books out there that could help people achieve wins. Many of these books are actually written by honest people who are true experts in their fields. So yes, people should be allowed to practice Scientology, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they would want to!

8. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

jmc5682,

Welcome to ESMB.

All mysteries will be revealed if you read and lurk.

:)

TG1

9. SpecialFrog

SpecialFrog Silver Meritorious Patron

I don't know, I'm still not sure of the answer to that one. :)