ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

So I'm not crazy after all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Non-believer, Apr 2, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Non-believer

Non-believer New Member

Thank you thank you thank you. Longtime lurker, first time caller.
    I have read so many threads on here over the last few months and only just got the guts to post.
    Im a never-in I guess, have done a few of the intro courses and a purif but $cio never really sat right with me. I always thought the people were a bit weird, a bit intense, and the continual push for money, the phone calls from Flag in the middle of the night etc, it just made me dislike the whole thing even more! Got in because my partner was born into it. Partner also hasn't done much, but in laws still believe in it. some of your threads have saddened me, some I've laughed along with but all have made me realise I'm not crazy to not believe in this crazy BS being sold!

2. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome! If you did the purif and some intro courses, you were in. But thankfully not long enough to get to too affected (or "infected")

Hubbard said in KSW, "if they're going to quit let them quit early"
    Wish I had quit early myself. And I know I share that sentiment with a lot here.

Congrats for getting out quick!
    :thumbsup:

3. Non-believer

Non-believer New Member

Thanks! I did them because I felt like I had to (subtle family pressure "relationship won't work if you're not in" type stuff), not out of entire free will. Lol. Fortunately I've grown more stubborn in older age and refuse to bow down to pressure! Even though I've not set foot in the local org for 5 years I have recently had a lot of calls/texts but they seem to have gone quiet... for now!

4. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

Interesting that they seem to have gone quiet for now. Could they be circling the wagons and staying quiet because it is too likely for the truth to come in through texts and calling?

It might be the case as I am seeing quite a few people posting here recently who are connected and had some experience and of course that is a real PTS situation for orgs. Surely scientology as an organization is not afraid of the truth are they? Hey DM, How about a few affidavits and appearances in depositions without the single malt bottle? lol just for a little scrutiny and ....ahhhh sorry non-believer...I stand down as it is your thread...

5. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

:welcome2: to ESMB, Non-Believer!

Do you have family troubles with your in-laws over scn?

What would make you feel you were crazy in the first place, and how did the stories you read here make you feel better?

6. Non-believer

Non-believer New Member

Thanks! No fortunately they are respectful that it is not for me, although they are unaware of my complete disbelief and loathing for it. I usually don't get into discussions with them on it/leave the room. They are stalled on their bridges and haven't done much for some time.
    Crazy - well it just seemed everyone swallowed what they were sold without an ounce of questioning. I'm a bit of a cynic, it's in my nature to question. I could never run "feel my finger" without hilarity, it was just too laughable! As for the super powers, like ok, ever seen them in action?
    It makes me feel a little sick now though thinking of there being folders with my thoughts, past incidents etc, and it all makes sense about how the "church" could hold things against you if you left. A culture of fear. I don't create drama because I'm aware of how that can affect my family members. But I am not afraid!

7. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

That is so cool that you aren't afraid!:thumbsup:I didn't get over my own fears until my first protest against COS. It was an invigorating experience that I will always treasure and highly recommend. You can even wear a mask if you want. Protests are at this site: https://whyweprotest.net/

It sounds like your family is on the fringes. Count your blessings! There are a lot of fringe scns these days with disagreements with management or just tired of paying all that money. Are they still on the radar and getting calls?

8. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

Normally, they've been using threats of "putting you in bad standing" as a way of pressuring people to do courses and auditing, or at least make IAS donations.

It might be that the org senses that your in-laws are on the edge, and thus rather than being able to threaten you into keeping "in", that putting you in bad standing might be the last straw which gets your partner and in-laws to decide to get out.

Their being "stalled" may mean they are disenchanted, and only officially stay in so they can remain connected to their Scientologist friends and relatives.

9. Non-believer

Non-believer New Member

I'd say that is somewhat the case. Kind of like "keeping up appearances". I can imagine for those with many friends and family in, that the pull to keep those relationships is stronger so they just toe the party line quietly.

10. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

:welcome:

I'd say there are thousands and thousands of people in the same position. I know that it was/is the case here in Melbourne even 30 years ago and it's much more common now. Just go through the motions, don't rock the boat and wait for the day someone tells you it's ok now, you can speak. Sadly few have the courage to be the one to speak out because of the inevitable disconnection consequences. The important thing is that families stay together though, and this does happen unless there is a crisis. So it's a sort of silent rebellion and an invisible stand against scientology.

Good on you for posting, if you have any questions there are lots of people to help.

11. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

Sounds like you are in a good place. They are out of the closet and you aren't in so far that they can expect much from you.

I have to think that these are very difficult times for Scientologists, even if they are still quietly hanging out on the periphery. I mean, who really wants to go round declaring that they are Scientologists? Might as well say you work for the mob.

A lot of people post here to ask how to deal with Scientology spouses and family members but things just may be to the point where some can take the high road and just let the internet do all the heavy lifting.

12. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

I hit 'disagree' on this earlier .. i blame big fingers, small screen.

I meant 'like' :)