triumph

Silver Meritorious Patron
strange-angel-poster-409x600.jpg

Parsons Letter to Alister Crowley
oPEevC5.png

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
Brinkwire

CBS All-Access series Strange Angel will focus on the rocket scientist who invoked something extraterrestrial.

Jack Reynor will take the lead in CBS All-Access’ upcoming drama Strange Angel. The young actor will play Jack Parsons who, along with Aleister Crowley and the Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, created the space exploration leader Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

snippet:
“The light system of the house failed at about 9 p.m.,” Parsons wrote. “Another magician [Hubbard] who had been staying at the house and studying with me, was carrying a candle across the kitchen when he was struck strongly on the right shoulder, and the candle knocked out of his hand. He called me, and we observed a brownish yellow light about seven feet high in the kitchen. I brandished a magical sword and it disappeared. His right arm was paralyzed for the rest of the night.”

more at link

http://en.brinkwire.com/276067/strange-angel-release-date-for-jack-reynor-cbs-all-access-show/

Evidently the spirit didn't like Hubbard.

triumph

NjZ70oo.jpg

I picture these jokers sitting around in robes sans drawers with a Magic 8 Ball

will a beautiful winged woman angel with red hair that I call the Empress ,...appear?

ASK AGAIN LATER

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
"Book may not catch hold right away but I think it should do its three hundred thousand copies in the next couple years.” He continues, “All of which is good and excellent news to me because I’ve got my eye on the dollar sign. With other books, magazine articles, lectures and maybe a rich patient or two I think I can clean up a few bucks. I want a good home in some sunny clime, a nice yacht small enough to keep going without much expense, a pretty steno to take care of my typing, a good smart boy to look after the business affairs and thereafter a lot of peace in which to monkey around. If I can attain all this I shall be a happy man.”

George Layton

Cooooooooooooooool...

In the letters and the excerpts from the book Elron comes off a Gilbert Shelten "Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" character; an excellent companion or foil to Phineas, Fat Freddy and Freewheeling Franklin.

Plenty of material for his detractors to take great umbrage over

but...

he still appears to to take his dianetics work... well somehow "seriously" doesn't seem to fit but he appears to give account of actual case histories...
Check your shoes, I believe I saw Fat Freddy's Cat sneaking around near them.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
NjZ70oo.jpg

I picture these jokers sitting around in robes sans drawers with a Magic 8 Ball

will a beautiful winged woman angel with red hair that I call the Empress ,...appear?

ASK AGAIN LATER
Actually, back in the 40's Hubbard did run about the LA area dressed in swami mufti wearing a turban for a while...

Or so it was reported to me by an oldtimer in SF in '71

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
Actually, back in the 40's Hubbard did run about the LA area dressed in swami mufti wearing a turban for a while...

Or so it was reported to me by an oldtimer in SF in '71

Musta been a site to see, a swami coming at you walking down Hollywood Blvd.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
I can only imagine Hubbard sitting at his desk in his special office in the back of AOLA, (the one with the desk built by the Romanian craftsman), and reflecting on his swami days on Hollywood Blvd. not half a mile from there. "We've come a long way, Ronnie me boyo."

triumph

Variety

TV Review: ‘Strange Angel’ on CBS All Access
By Caroline Framke

The story of Jack Parsons — the very real rocket scientist upon which “Strange Angel” is based — is a bizarre combination of ego and ambition that quite literally blew up in his face, when a chemical experiment exploded and killed him in 1952 when he was just 37 years old. Parsons was fascinated by all things considered fantastical, whether that be traveling to the moon or the Los Angeles occult scene that eventually became his stomping grounds. His life intersected in weird and fascinating ways with legendary figures like famed occultist Aleister Crowley and Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. As his biographer George Pendle puts it, “By day he built rockets for the government, by night he emerged from a coffin to perform sex magic with his followers.

snippet:

And apart from a couple glimpses at the alluring occult underbelly we know Jack will eventually succumb to and bizarre sidebars to an Orientalist comic he likes, the first few episodes of “Strange Angel” make the questionable choice of focusing on Jack’s constant frustration of being a capital g Genius who can’t get what he wants. Reynor feels like he’s doing his best Leonardo DiCaprio Gatsby as Jack tries to sell his smarts by way of charm, but both are ultimately unconvincing. And while Heathcote — tasked with the show’s only female role of note — does her best to sell Susan’s restless spirit, “Strange Angel” just isn’t that interested in what she has to say unless it has to do with Jack. (In one of the show’s most self-aware moments, even her confessional priest has to nudge her to talk about anything but Jack.)

It’s hard to understand why “Strange Angel” needs to give Jack’s frustrations and pontificating about The Future so much time when there’s a much more interesting story waiting to be told elsewhere. It might be more true to life, but as long as the show is trying to mine that life for drama, it might as well cut to the chase.

more@link

https://variety.com/2018/tv/reviews/strange-angel-review-cbs-all-access-jack-parsons-1202834488/

Bring on L Ron

triumph

Cleveland.com

Strange Angel' explores strange life of Jack Parsons (review)
By Mark Dawidziak, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Having already launched a new "Star Trek" series and now waiting for writer-director Jordan Peele's reboot of "The Twilight Zone," streaming service CBS All Access is reaching for the stars this summer with a period drama called "Strange Angel." Premiering Thursday, June 14, it is an ambitious but uneven show based on the colorful and controversial life of Jack Parsons.

And, yes, it is strange. Pretty much had to be, given its subject.

If you have spent any time at all watching cable shows devoted to supernatural places, outer spaces or mysteries at museums and monuments, you've probably heard of Parsons. He's a popular fellow with these series drawn to the more bizarre corners of history, science and American culture.

Even "Drunk History" has expelled some boozy breath on the enigmatic Parsons, who, like one of his sky-high experiments, was a combustible mix of elements. He was a pioneering rocket engineer, a fearless chemist, the co-founder of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and a controversial occultist.

snippet:

He was drawn to Pasadena's Devil's Gate, a creepy rock formation that some occultists have viewed as a portal to hell. He had an affair with his wife's sister, who left him for Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. He was accused of espionage during the Red Scare. And, not to blow the ending (although this has been reported in every account of Parsons' life), he died at the age of 37 in a home-laboratory explosion.

His death officially was ruled an accident, but theories have been put forth, ranging from assassination to ritual killing.

more@link

https://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/i...el_explores_strange_life_of_jack_parsons.html

Watch Strange Angel Online: Live Stream, Full Episodes, Free Episodes and More
Written by Courtenay Stevens

Strange Angel is a CBS All Access exclusive, but the service offers a lot more than that. It’s also a great way to catch your favorite CBS shows on demand. That way, you don’t have to stress if you miss the latest episode of The Big Bang Theory. Plus, you can watch your local CBS station live—without a cable package.
Here’s everything you need to know about getting CBS All Access.

Limited Commercials
Live* and on demand
$5.99/mo.
No

Free Trial
Commercial Free
Live* and on demand
$9.99/mo.
No
Free Trial

more@link

https://www.cutcabletoday.com/watch-strange-angel-online/

Last edited:

triumph

Inde Wire

Strange Angel’ Producers On How Scientology Founder L. Ron Hubbard Fits Into the Show’s Sex Cult
The CBS All Access show focuses on 1930s rocket engineer Jack Parson's weird descent into the occult — and his relationships along the way.
by Michael Schneider

CBS All Access’ new drama “Strange Angel” explores the true, bizarre, dual life of Jack Parsons, a 1930s rocket enthusiast who helped create Pasadena’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory but also fell into an occult religion than performed magic sex rituals. As he got deeper into Thelema, the religious movement created by Aleister Crowley, Parsons also became tight with L. Ron Hubbard — the sci-fi writer who would eventually create Scientology.

Hubbard doesn’t make an appearance in Season 1 of “Strange Angel,” which mostly focuses on Parsons’ early obsession with rockets and his belief that humans might one day break into space, along with his early curiosity in the occult and what led to him being recruited into that world.
But “Strange Angel” creator Mark Heyman, who adapted George Pendle’s book of the same name, said he won’t shy away from Hubbard and his relationship with Parsons when the time comes.

snippet:

Scientology, of course, is notoriously protective of the image and legacy of Hubbard, and Heyman said he’s well aware that the organization might want to keep tabs on where the show goes in depicting the relationship between Parsons and Hubbard. “I live about a half-mile from the Scientology Celebrity Centre, so I fully expect surveillance and pamphlets left at my door,” he said. “I’m not even half-joking. We know what we signed up for.”

But so far, the Church of Scientology hasn’t contacted the show. “A few years ago I think people would have been a lot more scared,” Heyman said. “We are following on the heels the ‘Going Clear’ documentary coming out, and there’s that Leah Remini series. I think the cat’s out of the bag a little bit about them, so they’ve grown a little less litigious. Because a lot of secrets that they had been keeping are out there.

more@Link
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/strange-angel-scientology-l-ron-hubbard-sex-cult-1201973347/

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
I read "Strange Angel" a couple of years ago. It's very interesting and Parsons was/is fascinating in his own right, apart from his LRH connection.

I'd like to watch, but I am not clued in on online broadcasting. Does it mean it will not be available on a satellite channel? And that you have to pay extra above your sat subscription in order to watch?

triumph

Hollywood Reporter

Strange Angel': TV Review- An intriguing (slightly too) slow burn.
CBS All Access' new drama delves into the strange life of Jack Parsons, rocket science pioneer and occult devotee.

If you walk the earth long enough and interestingly enough, the biopic based on your life might straddle a few cinematic genres.
Jack Parsons died relatively young, but lived astoundingly. He was a janitor turned rocket scientist who helped found the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. He was an innovator and an accused spy and an occult author. He was a religious leader with close ties to Aleister Crowley and L. Ron Hubbard. Any fictionalized character you might base on Parsons would be less outlandish than the real thing.

A life boasting enough material for several movies gets an ongoing TV series treatment courtesy of CBS All Access, Ridley Scott's Scott Free Productions and Black Swan scribe Mark Heyman's Strange Angel, a handsomely produced period drama that, through three of the first season's 10 episodes, is more tantalizing than satisfying — though it's amply and very watchably tantalizing.

more@link
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/strange-angel-review-1118357

Actor playing occult-loving scientist: ‘Cults were a really big thing’
By Lauren Sarner June 12, 2018 | 8:08pm

Rocket science and “sex magic” make strange bedfellows — but both were of interest to chemist Jack Parsons, whose life is dramatized in the new CBS All Access series “Strange Angel.”

The 10-episode first season, set in 1930s LA, was created by Mark Heyman (“Black Swan”) and stars Irish actor Jack Reynor (“Macbeth”). Premiering Thursday, it takes a deep dive into Parsons’ unconventional private life, which was the basis for George Pendle’s 2005 biography, “Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons.”

“Jack Parsons was one of the pioneers of rocketry and space exploration,” says Reynor, 26. “And he was also into this idea of magic and the occult. It’s really interesting to see where the line intersects between the two parts of this guy’s life.”
Parsons (1914-1952) was a real-life rocket engineer, chemist and occultist with connections to figures like Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

more@link
https://nypost.com/2018/06/12/actor-playing-occult-loving-scientist-cults-were-a-really-big-thing/

Last edited: