ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The anti-Scientologist

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by Veda, Aug 20, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

I'd also add complicity as a factor that works in Scientology's favor. Eventually Scientologists become participants in the scam and it is cringe worthy to be associated with it. To speak out or go public with litigation means you become forever associated with it on the internet and people are googled by employers, landlords, dating, everything. Since there are a lot of mental types associated with Scientology it is impossible to know how that will play out. In order for people to know where you stand you need to get into the details of your experience and that could involve other people that you want to protect from that kind of exposure. It functions much like gang initiation to my thinking - to join a gang you need to do something that would make you equally culpable if you ever turn.

2. TheOriginalBigBlue

You got me thinking - why don't Scientologists go door to door like JWs, Mormons, Baptists, etc? There is a lot of policy on mail but to my recollection nothing on door to door solicitation. Initially I thought maybe it was because it might expose Scientologists to too much hostility and critical thinking but they do engage the raw public with things like body routing and personality test booths.

Gib likes this.
  3. UTR

UTR Patron

I've known people who got introduced to Dianetics decades ago by someone doing door-to-door book sales. It's not something that I've ever seen done recently though.

4. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Brilliant!

5. Gib

Gib Crusader

You said:

"With every Clear they make (whether real or imagined), is them demonstrating they are "clearing the planet", albeit slowly. But, all of this is protected religious activity."

Bullshit, there are no clears.

It should not be protected religious activity.

Me and My Self and Type4_PTS like this.
  6. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Back in the early 80's I somehow got briefly involved with selling Dianetics books. Five people (including myself) from Boston Org drove up to Toronto and spent some days there working with the Toronto booksellers who were going door-to-door. Their book sales were apparently best in the East U.S. at that time so we went up to get trained by them.

7. TheOriginalBigBlue

Were they operating from a policy or something like a program with targets or just innovating?

It's curious because they generally try to identify successful actions and incorporate these into programs moving forward but I think door to door solicitations by Scientologists is unusual so maybe not successful or even backfires. I've had them come to my house but that is because they wanted to get me back on lines. Surely I'm not the one person in the world that the book sellers missed.

8. Emma

Emma Con te partirò Administrator

I didn't see statpush doing that. AFAIK he is an ex too.
    Then you better tell the Catholics that baptism isn't protected either.

9. Type4_PTS

I don't recall being shown any policy references concerning selling door-to-door. Just the policy references to sell books! And books make booms!

I imagine that the Toronto booksellers were initially innovating. And when they began doing well the word got out at the FOLO (or CLO, whatever it was called at that time). But I don't know if any other east U.S. orgs also tried the door-to-door or not. And of the five of us who went to Toronto, when we returned, only two of us kept selling books, and they sold on the street, not door-2-door.

TheOriginalBigBlue likes this.
  10. TheOriginalBigBlue

Scientology is so conflicted over innovation. If it goes well you get a commendation but if it goes badly then you were off policy and know besty or outright suppressive. There are so many ways Scientology going door to door could go badly I could see where it might be banned.

11. He-man

He-man Hero extraordinary

I remember being told it was inneficient, my words not theirs, that the best way to get raw bodies in the shop was to disseminate on the streets.

12. Type4_PTS

Very true!

When we went out with the Toronto book-selling team we did these apartment buildings where you couldn't get in to knock on the doors. You had to ring a doorbell for each individual resident living within. So they would ring a doorbell of someone living on the top floor, and pretend they were doing some type of delivery, saying it was the UPS guy or something, can you please let me in. It was dishonest. But we were saving the planet, so of course it was the greatest good.

Lurker5 and TheOriginalBigBlue like this.
  13. TheOriginalBigBlue

Yes, having to run ARC Break sessions on all those Scientologists getting doors slammed on them would be inefficient.

14. TheOriginalBigBlue

So I have to know - what was the spiel?

We are a "scientific version of Buddhism." "All other religions are a big fail and we aren't."

What a great idea for a candid camera episode.

15. Type4_PTS

It's been over 35 years and I forgot the spiel. But nothing was mentioned about Scientology. It was all about Dianetics.

I do recall that the two booksellers from Boston who kept doing it would frequently use the Dissem Drill to get the "ruin".
    I heard one of them, even before pitching the DMSMH book to quickly go into that drill, asking the person "What's ruining your life?"
    And they would sell the Dianetics book as the solution to whatever came up.

16. Out Effix

Out Effix Out Ethics Ex Ethics Officer

We drilled on finding their ruin.

Step one - pick open scab and get it to bleed.
    Step Two - Sell them a Dianetics book or some Scientology book and look them in the eye with insouciant certainty stating "Scientology / Dianetics can help that" - promise to get the bleeding to stop. Use hypnotic commands like "just buy the book, buy the book, just get the book and read it"

Step three - Get their money, get their name and address, phone number.

Step Four - harass them for eternity.
    At some point a person will have a problem and if you reach them on the phone or mail - you will get them to come it to see if Scientology will help them.

Scientology mind control tactics work when standardly applied.

17. TheOriginalBigBlue

That is also a bait and switch from the start. Dianetics is based on the concept of mental therapy very much like Freudian psychology. There is not spirit or thetan involved. So they are trying to rope people in by avoiding the complications of spiritual concepts and conflicts with people's religious beliefs but Dianetics is practically an obsolete afterthought to Scientology corporate. It is just a hook to get people into Scientology which is entirely based on the concept of spirit aka thetan. And of course we now know that even Scientology is a bait and switch for disembodied alien body thetans as the fundamental concept for fixing what is wrong with you on the OT Levels.

Dianetics isn't advertised very much anymore and the Superbowl ads mainly promote Scientology but Scientology books are pretty wacky for raw public so I can see how trying to sell Dianetics door to door now would be a problem because of poor name recognition. Most people probably associate Scientology name recognition with Tom Cruise and South Park. When the stabbing happened in Australia I spent some time searching Asian news sights to see if they were picking up the story. There wasn't much but what there was always mentioned Tom Cruise. When Tom is gone that will pretty much just leave South Park.

strativarius, Lurker5 and Type4_PTS like this.
  18. TheOriginalBigBlue

Sounds about right. Ever sell History of Man door to door?

19. Type4_PTS

This is true, but it's ok, because bait and switch fully aligns with their religious "scriptures".

20. Gib

Gib Crusader

I don't know anything about religious organizations known as Catholics or baptism, so I don't make the comparison.

I only know the rhetoric of Hubbard which I fell for.