ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at

The attempt to see my father (SO staff Syd)

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand Pickets and Protests' started by ttamaad, May 6, 2009.

  1. ttamaad

    ttamaad Silver Meritorious Patron

    I went along to the Anon protest on the 18th April in Sydney. I was up in Sydney to pick up my daughter who was over here for a holiday and she wanted to catch up with a few of the anons she had met when she was over here last time

    (see for the write up)

    As you will have noticed the info regarding this latest protest has been scarce and the reason will be explained in this thread. I have to say right now that Sydney Anon need to be thanked by everyone for their hard work and as you will see, their total trust and respect of all concerned in keeping the talk on the events of that day rather quiet.

    I didn't have any expectations but was enthusiastically welcomed at Hyde Park and throughout the course of the day, thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Caught up with Mate and Kookaburra which was fantastic as I hadn't seen Mate for some 25 years or so.

    We headed down to Town Hall where flyers were handed out and the whole protest was jovial and laughs a plenty. Then off to Castlereagh St where the place was deserted. To save time we jumped on a bus for the ride up to the AO... now that was a sight to behold.

    When we got to the AO there was a rather large police presence which I couldn't really understand, having been with anon all the morning and found them to be laid back. The abuse came from the "other side" where a person first claiming to be a non scn got a little violent and screamed and shouted about religious intolerence. The same "lady" then appeared out of the front door of scn and screamed abuse as she walked down the road.

    Anon did their thing and we encouraged my old man to come down and see me and his granddaughter who he still hadnt ever seen.

    It was after this that the police moved in and asked us to refrain from using the microphone and speakers. Anon, although a little peeved, respected the request and so there we all were waiting around. About 20 minutes later the I/C of the local police arrived and explained what was happening and why the request was made to quieten the protest.

    I am sure someone will be able to fill in the actual details of the whys and wherefores. I didn't actually hear what they were. It was during this time that Kookaburra mentioned to the I/C that I was there trying to see my father. The Police I/C then talked to me and asked if I was genuinely wishing to see my old man. When I explained that his granddaughter was there as well, she accepted me at my word. She explained to me that she was prepared to go into scn and try and arrange a meeting. She also explained that she was doing this, on her own accord and although she was a police officer, she had no authority to demand a meeting.

    As you can imagine, I was only too happy for some help. With another police officer with her, she entered the building.

    By now, the protest was almost over. Anon were talking with the police and others. It was friendly all round. Just anons presence created thumbs up from drivers and shouts of encouragement.

    After approx 40 minutes she returned....

    OK, gotta go and sort out stuff, I'll be back
  2. Human Again

    Human Again Silver Meritorious Patron

    ..... did your daughter get to see her Grandfather??? I am hanging on tenderhooks
  3. sallydannce

    sallydannce Gold Meritorious Patron

    Thanks for posting this ttamaad.

    I get the distinct feeling this is not going to have a happy ending.

    I am interested in reading more when you are ready to write.
  4. Free to shine

    Free to shine Shiny & Free

    Geez mate, don't leave us hanging! I really, really want to know what happened....
  5. scooter

    scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

    Er Billy, it's been a while and we're still waiting :drama:
  6. ttamaad

    ttamaad Silver Meritorious Patron

    ok, so the Police I/C returned from out of the scn building after about 40 minutes. A meeting of sorts had been agreed to... between my old man, me and my daughter. There was also a request for a minder to be present for my old man, as then the numbers would be even. Dad and a minder and me and my 16 year old daughter (his granddaughter) I was skeptical but agreed that if he needed someone then fair enough.

    The police disappeared inside the building again and returned saying that he would call me shortly to organise times.

    Then the reason why anon have been silent over the whole protest... The police I/C wanted to make it clear that this was a family meeting and she was working to get a family together and so made it clear that anon wasn't to use this as a feather in their cap and neither was scn. She made her case that as far as she was concerned this meeting was between the family only. Anon agreed to this and as can be seen, have respected the request.

    I am now telling the story as I am an ex scn, not an anon, and the story is important for all exes to know about, especially as alot of ANZO-ites know me and my old man.

    The protest disbursed and about an hour later, the phone call came through. Great call, brief but a quick catch up and a couple of laughs. I said how my daughter was in Australia to play "The Last Post" and "Reveille" at the ANZAC commemorations where I live. He was blown away by this. The call was excellent and we arranged that we would meet the following Sunday as we would be back in Sydney as my daughter was flying back home on that day.
    He was going to call me on that Sunday morning and we would arrange a meeting place. All good! He was excited and so was my daughter and I.

    The week goes... I had a awesome time with my daughter. She also enjoyed the time more than I could have hoped. Her part in the ANZAC day commemoration was so moving, there was not a dry eye around and this was a congregation of some 350-400 people. Then the drive back up to Sydney. The phone call came through and then dropped out.... yes we still have areas where the mobile doesn't have reception. He left a message and we finally made contact around 9.30am. Arranged to meet at the Anzac memorial in Hyde park. Its a nice spot, coffee shops close and being a beautiful day... the perfect spot. All agreed 3pm at the memorial.

    My daughter then went ahead making arrangements to meet up with friends in the same area and at times that wouldn't clash with the reunion. and we also had to leave enough time to get to the airport and onto the flight. So far everything fitted in well. We were making good time to Sydney too.

    ok will be back shortly
  7. SchwimmelPuckel

    SchwimmelPuckel Genuine Meatball

    Cliffhangers! - I'm now hanging on my other arm..

  8. scooter

    scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

    I'm down to two fingernails - quick, Billy:D
  9. Tiger Lily

    Tiger Lily Gold Meritorious Patron

    . . . . . Great story! I'm so glad that it's going well so far. . . .can't wait for the rest!!

  10. dchoiceisalwaysrs

    dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

    Dang, should I take the day off from work?
    brb in 12 hours
  11. Kookaburra

    Kookaburra Gold Meritorious Patron

    Ttamaad, this seems like a totally weird request. Was there any indication where this really came from? I cannot imagine the police requiring someone from OSA to come along and supervise a family get-together, nor can I see your dad requesting such a bizarre thing. Both sides even??!!! WTF? Did the inspector clarify this at all? From what you told me on the phone, I got the impression your dad thought it was "Police rules".
  12. Wisened One

    Wisened One Crusader

    :ohmy: :yes: :drama: :nailbiting: :drama: :unsure: :waiting:
  13. ttamaad

    ttamaad Silver Meritorious Patron

    Sorry its taking a while to get through this, guys... life! :yes:

    We arrived in Sydney after a 5 hour drive and parked close to Hyde park. We were early. We knew that after the meeting/reunion, we were going to have a dash to the airport to get my daughter on the plane in time.

    It was one of those great Sydney days, and we picked up a coffee and found a nice spot. My daughter was catching up with a friend first so I was happy to lounge about.

    My phone went again. It was after 2.15pm, 45 minutes before the scheduled meeting. It was an scn number. I answered and my old man was on the other end....

    I answered a jovially as I possibly could. I just knew that the games were about to begin. My daughter was sitting beside me as her friend was just about to turn up too.

    I said we were in Hyde Park and everything was great. We had a good drive up. He then began, asking to change the place we were meeting from Hyde Park down to Town Hall. I said that wasn't possible as my daughter was meeting with friends first. This had been said many times beforehand during our earlier calls.

    He was insistent, saying that there were more people down at Town Hall, than the wide open spaces at Hyde park.

    Looking around, I was watching many people walking, sitting, playing enjoying the sunshine. At Hyde Park at that very moment, there were so many people... I tried to explain that there were people here too, it was a safe place due to the numbers. Apparently not enough numbers for him.

    He kept saying it was only a short walk down to Town Hall. I was aware of my daughters meeting and also the drive afterwards to get to the airport. I explained all this calmly

    Then came the mention of a minder... a person coming to equal up the numbers. I queried this saying that I was under the impression that this was going to be a family meeting.

    The explanations were becoming weirder by the reply. Now the Police had ordered that the numbers were even. But he also said that he wasn't involved in all of the discussion with the police. My warning bells were ringing

    I voiced my disapproval, we had kept to our side of the bargain, (not that a bargain had to be made... this was a family meeting. He had never even meet my daughter.) The meeting had been agreed to early and now was being changed at the last minute. To me this was typical of the difficulties people had with scn, there was no desire to stick to agreements.

    He then dropped into the conversation that it was my daughter that wanted to see him and I was stopping that. I said that my daughter was only 16, and we both wanted to see him. He began swearing. I pointed this out and he said it was a throwback to his building days... I reminded him that this was here and now and he was changing a meeting he had earlier in the day, agreed to.

    The ultimatum came... it had to be town hall. My daughter was making the cut off sign. She was upset with the conversation. She was lucky she wasn't listening to the other side of the conversation. I was still amazingly calm but it was obvious that that my exasperation was coming through to her.

    I looked at my daughter. Thought about the hassles and pulled the plug. I said to him that this was getting all too emotional and it would be best for everyone that we all stepped back and took a breath and picked this up again another time.

    Then came the weird questions... just so he had it right...
    It was me that was stopping the meeting
    I was stopping my daughter from seeing him
    Did I not believe in LRH
    It could have been an interrogation

    Yes, it was me, I was taking full responsibility for this. I said I had lost my faith in the meeting being a family affair, I didn't feel safe for me and my daughter and that was a good enough reason to pull the plug. I mentioned the basic books... changes to the tech, That I wasn't against his beliefs but I was appalled with the lies of corporate scn.

    It was right at this time I suddenly realised that there were others taking part in the conversation, in the background.

    Now it was becoming a fact finding mission. So I trusted masked people but not him. I replied that those masked people were awesome, that I felt far more trustful of them than scn. That they masked themselves to stop scn persecuting them. He said that he wasn't masked, I pointed out that I wasn't either.

    I then said I was ending the conversation. That the emotion was too high and we will catch up another time. He then changed his tune a little. He wanted to know when? I said that my daughter will be back on holiday sometime and maybe we could sort it out for then.

    He then immediately changed... it was as if he realised that he was missing out. It was as if I had finally reached my old man. Suddenly it was a father, son and granddaughter.

    He was prepared to meet at Hyde Park, he'd get in a taxi now. It was too late. His previous line of questioning, the person in the background, the changes of venue were all to much at this time. I said no, we'll try again next time maybe.

    Some more garbled talk form the other end. I had stopped listening. My daughter was saying hang up, hang up... I said to him that I was hanging up and I did
  14. Wisened One

    Wisened One Crusader

    :ohmy: ttamaad! :melodramatic: I'm soooo sorry the meeting couldn't happen for all of you right then, Wow. :no: :console: :bigcry:

    But.....perhaps this will WAKE HIM UP!!! It sounds like it DID...for a second there....ya know? Maybe he'll walk out, (if he stays in that father/grandpa mode a bit longer...). :unsure:
  15. Feral

    Feral Rogue male

    Geez Billie, that OSA decided to use the meeting as a political football makes your story into a tragedy.

    Tell your daughter that I'm sad to hear this, and to remember, it's not her fault.
  16. DCAnon

    DCAnon Silver Meritorious Patron

    Whew, what an emotional rollercoaster. I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you'd hoped, I'm sending hugs to you all.
  17. Tiger Lily

    Tiger Lily Gold Meritorious Patron

    Oh gosh. . . .I knew it sounded too good to be true . . but for some reason I was hopeful. I was hoping that the protests had impinged a little and they were going to start letting families see each other and relax a little. What was I thinking? :no:

    Good for standing your ground though and not letting them jerk you around. Maybe next time he'll be more cooperative.

    But doggone it! Keep trying though!

  18. Carmel

    Carmel Crusader

    Thanks for the info Bill. :)

    The whole fiasco is sad, but not at all surprising - a happy ending would have certainly been surprising though.

    I'm sorry that your daughter didn't get meet Bill Snr. She is such a wonderful girl, and they both would have gained by having at least some time to meet and share with eachother - what a bugger!
  19. EP - Ethics Particle

    EP - Ethics Particle Gold Meritorious Patron

    Holy shit...

    Billy - I don't know what to say....:no:

    But, for whatever reasons, I believe you and your daughter not only made progress, but also did extremely well and acted correctly. :clap: :thumbsup:


    Mike (EP)
  20. sallydannce

    sallydannce Gold Meritorious Patron

    Thanks ttamaad. God what can I say?

    Actually I could say heaps but will refrain from blowing steam all over the board.

    You did the right thing ttamaad. I would have pulled the plug too given the level of manipulation that was being used.