What's new

The Briefing Course

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Mike Rinder's Blog

The Briefing Course

Look what St. Hill is promoting… The wonders of the (empty) Briefing Course — the greatest course ever taught by L. Ron Hubbard. In the halcyon years of scientology in the early 60’s he delivered more than 400 lectures to students who had come from around the world to learn at the feet of the […]

Continue reading...

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The furnishings look authentic -- folding chairs, card-tables, Mark IV meters -- but I can't place the room from the view through the windows. I thought the original was in the Manor basement and windowless; when I was at SH starting in 1972 the "SHSBC courseroom" was in the Castle. Anyone know?

orig-shsbc.jpg

Paul

RogerB

Crusader
That photo of the "SHSBC room" when Hubbs lectured there is as phony as the constant accusations against those who call the cult's conduct bad, evil and wrong.

The "original" SHSBC room was in the Chapel. That shot is not in/of the Chapel.

It was after Hubbs took to sea that the SHSBC moved into the Castle.

R

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
That photo of the "SHSBC room" when Hubbs lectured there is as phony as the constant accusations against those who call the cult's conduct bad, evil and wrong.

The "original" SHSBC room was in the Chapel. That shot is not in/of the Chapel.

It was after Hubbs took to sea that the SHSBC moved into the Castle.

R
I was around Saint Hill in about 1963/4 when Hubbard was running the SHSBC in person. The course was held in the manor house itself. We plebs were allowed to go into the solarium where there was an extension speaker and listen to the lectures from there. Once the talk was over he'd stick his head round the door and smile and wave to us and bask in the warm applause we gave him.

I don't remember much of the lectures but there was one about missed withholds where he digressed and talked about a certain young lady who was having an interesting relationship with her German Shepherd and some gentleman happened to say to her 'you like dogs don't you?' That, he explained, was a missed withold. Funny, the stuff you remember and the stuff you forget.

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I think that may be ASHO.

Snipped from Mike Rinder's blog.
The windows (viewed through the windows of the "SHSBC room") look like the windows of the main wing of the original castle (1970s), including the course rooms and Qual. But there isn't a building at that distance from them, unless they plonked a prefab in the paved space there (highly unlikely).

Oh! Maybe it IS the 1970s SHSBC course room space, with a facade including net curtains in front of the original bare windows. The "fireplace" would be fake, of course, in that case.

Paul

Last edited:

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
The windows (viewed through the windows of the "SHSBC room") look like the windows of the main wing of the original castle (1970s), including the course rooms and Qual. But there isn't a building at that distance from them, unless they plonked a prefab in the paved space there (highly unlikely).

Oh! Maybe it IS the 1970s SHSBC course room space, with a facade including net curtains in front of the original bare windows.

Paul

I definitely don't recognise that room, it looks nothing like any of the original castle course rooms or anything like qual to me.

I suppose it could be a room from the later (80's) castle extensions but it looks to me more like a room in an old building that has been prettied up, it even has what looks like an original fireplace.

The article is a bit confusing but I still think it may be a photo of the ASHO course room.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I definitely don't recognise that room, it looks nothing like any of the original castle course rooms or anything like qual to me.

I suppose it could be a room from the later (80's) castle extensions but it looks to me more like a room in an old building that has been prettied up, it even has what looks like an original fireplace.

The article is a bit confusing but I still think it may be a photo of the ASHO course room.
The only things about that room that look familiar (apart from the chair type, the folding card tables, the Mark IVs, and the TVs used for closed-circuit sessions although they look smaller than the ones I remember) are the *windows* and the *window-sills*. If you look through the windows, all I can make out is a dark strip, which would be at the base of the other wing of the Castle if it is the old SHSBC room.

Where is there a recent photo of that? ... Tada! One dark strip. And is that the turret visible through the left-hand window? The angle would be about right. The room I'm talking about is on the right hand side in the pic below, of the four windows between the two near turrets it could be either the nearer two or the further two.

now-castle.jpg

Solved. Everything else about that room is fake, even the ceiling. By which I mean it might be similar to the original room in the Manor basement but it does not match the 70s SHSBC course room.

Paul

Last edited:

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
Chairs and tables in this photo are similar but not an exact match to the ones in the above photo.

pa-news-photo-31868-students-of-the-scientology-cult-during-a-class-G4D88F.jpg
PA NEWS PHOTO 31/8/68 STUDENTS OF THE SCIENTOLOGY CULT DURING A CLASS SESSION AT THEIR HEADQUARTERS AT SAINT HILL MANOR, EAST GRINSTEAD, SUSSEX - Image ID: G4D88F

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Chairs and tables in this photo are similar but not an exact match to the ones in the above photo.
Yes, thanks very much. See how the windows match (behind the lace curtains)?

This room is the one right behind Reception (where it used to be, anyway), at the side of the Castle overlooking the drive. These windows are at 90 degrees to the windows I've been talking about.

Paul

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
The furnishings look authentic -- folding chairs, card-tables, Mark IV meters -- but I can't place the room from the view through the windows. I thought the original was in the Manor basement and windowless; when I was at SH starting in 1972 the "SHSBC courseroom" was in the Castle. Anyone know?

View attachment 15445

Paul
The "Monkey Room" has a similar ceiling:

6dd46b361aa7d9457ba79f651b970fa6.jpg

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The "Monkey Room" has a similar ceiling:

6dd46b361aa7d9457ba79f651b970fa6.jpg
Thanks. I worked in there from December 1972 for 6 (?) months when Treasury AOSHUK shared the office with Finance Bureau GOWW, separated by a row of filing cabinets. The murals were covered with sheets of plastic. I don't remember the ceiling!

Paul

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

There are some historical inaccuracies about this photo. . .

orig-shsbc-jpg.15445

Guided by an e-meter and the Self-Analysis Perceptic Wheel, I have perfectly Clear recall of that room and there should be one (1) pack of open KOOLs on the foreground desk, fifteen (15) open Kools on the folding chairs and another five (5) open packs of KOOLS, one each on the "auditor side" of those 5 e-meters.

There is ample scientific evidence that nobody ever died of cancer while in the SHSBC course room, so that alone definitively debunks all those slanderous and libelous criticisms of Dr. Hubbard's technology.