ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The Compulsion to Repeat the Trauma

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by AnonKat, Mar 22, 2013.

1. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/vanderkolk/

The Compulsion to Repeat the Trauma
    Re-enactment, Revictimization, and Masochism
    Bessel A. van der Kolk, MD*

During the formative years of contemporary psychiatry much attention was paid to the continuing role of past traumatic experiences on the current lives of people. Charcot, Janet, and Freud all noted that fragmented memories of traumatic events dominated the mental life of many of their patient and built their theories about the nature and treatment of psychopathology on this recognition. Janet75 thought that traumatic memories of traumatic events persist as unassimilated fixed ideas that act as foci for the development of alternate states of consciousness, including dissociative phenomena, such as fugue states, amnesias, and chronic states of helplessness and depression. Unbidden memories of the trauma may return as physical sensations, horrific images or nightmares, behavioral reenactments, or a combination of these. Janet showed how traumatized individuals become fixated on the trauma: difficulties in assimilating subsequent experiences as well. It is "as if their personality development has stopped at a certain point and cannot expand anymore by the addition or assimilation of new elements."76 Freud independently came to similar conclusions.43,45 Initially, he thought all hysterical symptoms were caused by childhood sexual "seduction" of which unconscious memories were activated, when during adolescence, a person was exposed to situations reminiscent of the original trauma. The trauma permanently disturbed the capacity to deal with other challenges, and the victim who did not integrate the trauma was doomed to "repeat the repressed material as a contemporary experience in instead or . . . remembering it as something belonging to the past."44 In this article, I will show how the trauma is repeated on behavioral, emotional, physiologic, and neuroendocrinologic levels, whose confluence explains the diversity of repetition phenomena.

Many traumatized people expose themselves, seemingly compulsively, to situations reminiscent of the original trauma. These behavioral reenactments are rarely consciously understood to be related to earlier life experiences. This "repetition compulsion" has received surprisingly little systematic exploration during the 70 years since its discovery, though it is regularly described in the clinical literature.12,17,21,29,61,64,65,69,88,112,137 Freud thought that the aim of repetition was to gain mastery, but clinical experience has shown that this rarely happens; instead, repetition causes further suffering for the victims or for people in their surroundings.

Children seem more vulnerable than adults to compulsive behavioral repetition and loss of conscious memory of the trauma.70,136. However, responses to projective tests show that adults, too, are liable to experience a large range of stimuli vaguely reminiscent of the trauma as a return of the trauma itself, and to react accordingly.39,42

http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/vanderkolk/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
  2. Very comprehensive! :thumbsup:

You researching a thesis, honey? :)

3. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

No but van der kolk family in the Netherlands represents a long line of Social Pshyciarty, Actually wanting to put ""patients"back into socïety. Dutch Psychiartrist actully rejected Eugenics. But read that piece I posted and fill in the Hubbard word "Dramatization"for "Behavioral Reënactment"and you have hit a home-run.

Damn are you pretty ? I am 39 and you are calling me honey

4. Pretty is as pretty does, honey lamb!!! :biggrin: LOL!!! :happydance:

As a Thetan, I am a total knockout!!! :coolwink: :blush: :thumbsup:

Take no offense, I get very verbally cuddly with all kinds of folks when I'm in a good mood, which is my usual state of being! :biggrin: :happydance:

And it's Spring!!! :happydance:

5. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

Don't tell my wife, but when it's spring, I wish I was single. Tennis skirts. 'Nuff said.

6. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

You must be a very pretty Thetan indeed, no offence taken, just be yourself and good folks will love and flock to you.

7. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

If I did know any better I would say you are projecting "lovebeams" at me now

8. Gib

Gib Crusader

You forgot this part of your link:

"Human beings are strongly dependent on social support for a sense of safety, meaning, power, and control"

Sounds familiar in one sentence to what has become of scientology, By design? Social engineering.

9. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

Not forgot, no more would post, The Original van der Kolk was Jacobus Schroeder van der kolk , he believed that everybody had a perfect soul but often hindered by the inperfections of the body.

10. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

That actually corresponds how Hubbard thought about one of his daughters.

11. Lurker5

Lurker5 Gold Meritorious Patron

Eyeeew :omg::ohmy::unsure:

12. Lurker5

AnonKat, NoName is looking for info on this - did you see NoName's thread? Maybe PM NoName and link this thread?
    Thank you. :wink2:

13. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

I did not see that, We Dutch have an history of social psychiatry and rejected euginics.

14. Lurker5

My Grandma was Dutch - and she was an odd one, very ahead of her time. And yet very much a part of it, stuck in her time, at same time. :thumbsup::)

Oh yeah, referring to another recent thread (no connection to you AK) my parents taught me to RESPECT her, and when we were asked to give her a kiss, we did. She was scary because we did not know her, but once in her lap, she was a sweetheart. And cantankerous as hell, if we slammed the screen doors. :biggrin:

15. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

Sometimes being stuck in time is very good when present time produces asholes like in the 80ties

16. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

Why I give Hubbard credit sometimes is because the way he loved his mentally handicapped daughter, describing her as a great Thetan hindered by her mest body.

My mother works with the mentally handicapped

17. Lurker5

Oh - I did not even know lrh had a handicapped daughter, but yeah, that is a great way to look at handicaps. I like that. My Uncle worked with the mentally handicapped. Which of lrh's daughters?

18. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

if i got it right she is doing David Miscavige's laundry up to this day.

Maybe I am wrong

"LRH’s grand son was given a hearty welcome by DM by assigning his mother, LRH’s daughter, to the post of laundress. Her duties included, among other things, literally handling David Miscavige’s dirty laundry."

http://www.scientology-cult.com/mar...-miscavige-crushed-l-ron-hubbards-family.html