What's new

The Day CLO EUS came crashing to the ground.

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
Well about 70 pounds of it anyway.

Circa 1989, shortly after the renos was finished.
I can't remember what time of day it was but I heard a huge crash outside the door on the left side of the building upon exiting the reception area.

I went out to see what it was, THANK GOD NOBODY WAS DEAD!

A huge chunk of the concrete from the top corner of the building was smashed on the sidewalk, it had fallen all the way from the roof, 7 stories up.

I hope that never happened again after that...

Personally I would keep a 20' space between me and 349 W. 48th ST. while walking by, goodness knows what Mike Finley left dangling up there after the renos!

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Well about 70 pounds of it anyway.

Circa 1989, shortly after the renos was finished.
I can't remember what time of day it was but I heard a huge crash outside the door on the left side of the building upon exiting the reception area.

I went out to see what it was, THANK GOD NOBODY WAS DEAD!

A huge chunk of the concrete from the top corner of the building was smashed on the sidewalk, it had fallen all the way from the roof, 7 stories up.

I hope that never happened again after that...

Personally I would keep a 20' space between me and 349 W. 48th ST. while walking by, goodness knows what Mike Finley left dangling up there after the renos!

NYC building inspectors are notoriously corrupt, but I still would have expected they would have come nosing around after THAT !! :omg:

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
Did you know Erik Knauerhase?

Yes I did, one of the few there I admired! He worked with me on getting the stat evolution computerization cycle I was programming their main UNIX computer to handle. He did the "Symphony" graphing of the numbers my stat evolution program distilled from the raw files submitted to the telex computers by the different Orgs.

Erik also did the 1 sec check I had while on staff as Sea Org.
and the cycle I told him that I had nothing to eat for days in order to make them think I was starving.

I really liked Erik, he was very devoted! He also loved Mozart!

Last edited:

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
NYC building inspectors are notoriously corrupt, but I still would have expected they would have come nosing around after THAT !! :omg:

That! was never reported!

I was 1 of 2 certified "stand pipe" technicians that NYC needed to sign off on the stand pipe system.

The other guy, Chuck, routed out after out 2d. I was told to study for a test and go take it. I did and I passed.

I can only wonder how many other certs were held internally in order to get by building inspections.

I totally could not have done anything with the standpipe system!