What's new

The Foul Air of the Freewinds an Ex-SO Member’s Story

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's the one! When I was there 1985-86, it was a piece-of-shit, and was the berthing for CLO & CMO EUS. Broken boilers, never any hot water, and half the time no heat, no elevator, missing window panes, a slum.

Out of curiosity, I drove by it in 2006 and it looked decent on the outside. The whole block was improved. That area of Manhattan is (used to be) called "Hell's Kitchen". Neighborhoods rise, neighborhoods fall.

Typical of Co$ buildings, they can be made to look pretty on the surface, but what's behind the walls? Ironic.

Oh, yeah. Hell's Kitchen's been gentrified since I started going to NYC regularly in the late 90s. It's not too far from the Diamond District, and that area is still pretty run down. Some of those store fronts have not changed their signs or windows in 60 years.

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
attachment.php
attachment.php

349 W. 48th St. New York City
These images from Google Maps are dated June 2011

hpm1999

Patron with Honors
I was a college student studying civil engineering at night at a community college, while working full-time as a draftsman at a land surveying company. I was on my own, paying my own way, and a lot was going on in life for me then. My father was dying of cancer, which put me in a state of sadness and shock. My fiancé of 3 years broke up with me, which put me in a state of exasperation and shock.
This fits perfectly with the description by Lalich et al of the "perfect storm" and victim for a sociological cult member:
* Above average IQ (engineering student and surveyor/draughtsman requires damned well oiled math skills)
* Financial issues (working days- schooling costs added into this mix)
* Social-emotional problems (broke up with fiance- father very sick)
It is MOST unfortunate that CO$ found you- and UNFORTUNATELY They are STILL FINDING PEOPLE in this STATE- mentally, emotionally and financially raping those in need:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

AnonKat

Crusader
This fits perfectly with the description by Lalich et al of the "perfect storm" and victim for a sociological cult member:
* Above average IQ (engineering student and surveyor/draughtsman requires damned well oiled math skills)
* Financial issues (working days- schooling costs added into this mix)
* Social-emotional problems (broke up with fiance- father very sick)
It is MOST unfortunate that CO$ found you- and UNFORTUNATELY They are STILL FINDING PEOPLE in this STATE- mentally, emotionally and financially raping those in need:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Did I post those poluting vids allready ?

AnonKat

Crusader
[video=youtube;edLjsQF5kwY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edLjsQF5kwY[/video]

[video=youtube;zvJATpHzHjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvJATpHzHjI[/video]

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
[video=youtube;edLjsQF5kwY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edLjsQF5kwY[/video]

[video=youtube;zvJATpHzHjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvJATpHzHjI[/video]
OH WOW! :wow:

Thanx for these vids AnonKat! :thankyou:

When I was on the Freewinds and we were out to sea for a training session; I remember talk, or more like “bragging” that the bilges and sewage tanks were dumped NOT within international waters, which was the law for dumping such waste? From what I understood of that – the Freewinds was dumping where they were not supposed to dump, per international law. Another example of Co$ thinking itself outside/above the law (anywhere).

These videos make me wonder what exactly is in those tanks being dumped! If that waste maybe includes waste from other cruise ships as well, which are probably more closely following the law, what is the Freewinds REALLY doing? Curacao is a small small island, a pretty and quaint island. This info makes me MAD! :angry:

AnonKat

Crusader

When I was on the Freewinds and we were out to sea for a training session; I remember talk, or more like “bragging” that the bilges and sewage tanks were dumped NOT within international waters, which was the law for dumping such waste? From what I understood of that – the Freewinds was dumping where they were not supposed to dump, per international law. Another example of Co$ thinking itself outside/above the law (anywhere).

These videos make me wonder what exactly is in those tanks being dumped! If that waste maybe includes waste from other cruise ships as well, which are probably more closely following the law, what is the Freewinds REALLY doing? Curacao is a small small island, a pretty and quaint island. This info makes me MAD! :angry:

Bonaire ( and SABA and St Euchstasius) became a special municipality of the Netherlands in 2010 after being governened from the Island of Curacau and that means it's now under Juristiction of even the European Union.

http://www.curacaochronicle.com/main/fraud-investigation-into-eu-subsidies-for-the-antilles/

Published On: Wed, Sep 11th, 2013
Main News | By Edition
Fraud investigation into EU subsidies for the Antilles

WILLEMSTAD – The European Commission has blocked funding of various development projects for the islands of the former Netherlands Antilles for almost a year now. This is following a possible fraud with funds from the European Development Fund (EDF).

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
I've been going through old photos and came across these gems and thought I would share.

This is me in the Freewinds engine room control room. Not sure what I am doing there, just posing for the photo.

attachment.php

This is me in front of the main engine cylinder heads (the starboard side main engine). In the forefront of the photo are the turbo chargers.

attachment.php

This is one of the restaurants when the Freewinds was stlll the Boheme, just before it was purchased by the Co$. This was its last cruise as the Boheme with passengers. Some of us where sent to the ship at this time. I know who the two people are in the pic. PM me if you would like to know names.

This area is now a course room on the Freewinds.

attachment.php

freewinds004.jpg freewinds006.jpg freewinds007.jpg

Last edited:

AnonKat

Crusader
To dump your waste in international waters you have to have some kind of waste processor. I'll bet the cult deemed that too expensive.

And again it's Bonaire

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
There are more pics of me on the Freewinds on BlackRob's thread - Various pics of Scientology in the 80s and 90s, unpublished, until now...
(I am the girl in the blue boiler suit.)
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...shed-until-now&p=904033&viewfull=1#post904033

Also on the thread are some pics of my wedding aboard the Freewinds. It took place in November 1987, before most of the renovations began.
(I am the bride.)
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...shed-until-now&p=904040&viewfull=1#post904040
(Fun fact - got divorced from that guy in 1995. So much for the "tech" as a tool for successful marriages.)

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
PHOTOS:

The bunk in my cabin aboard the Freewinds. Nice embroidered Sea Org logo on the blue satin bedspread. Too bad I didn’t spend much time sleeping there. A corner of a chair is in the bottom right corner of the pic which still had the avocado green of the previous décor.
WATCH OUT! There is blue asbestos lurking behind those wall panels!
attachment.php

The desk in my cabin. YES there are LRH books on the shelf above it. Think one of the pics on the wall was an LRH pic. Nice phone huh? It wasn’t a landline, only for on-ship calls. I think the blue spiral book on the desk was the “Able Bodied Seaman” course pack.
attachment.php

Commodore Cruise Line was the owner of the ship Bohème which became the Freewinds when Majestic Cruise Line (I mean the Co$) bought it. This is a patch I’ve saved all these years and scanned for your viewing pleasure.
attachment.php

In case you didn’t know, the logo painted on the smoke stacks of the Freewinds is the Majestic Cruise Line logo.
attachment.php

Hey, why is that guy touching blue asbestos with his BEAR HANDS? Do not try this at home!
attachment.php

This is what mesothelioma lesions look like in lungs.
attachment.php

This gives me an itchy-scratchy feeling all over.
attachment.php

Wow - I had no idea this happened on the "FLEECEWINDS"!! Where have all the OT's gone? Long time passing ....away from asbestos exposure on the Asbestos-Winds!:bigcry:

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Co$ buildings get renovated and look good on the surface but have cancer living in the walls. Sea Org EPFers and especially RPFers get to experience the bowels and bilges of many of these “choice” pieces of real estate. I did my EPF in New York, and that building on W. 48th St. was a POS, infested with (giant) rats and roaches. It probably has asbestos and layers of lead paint as well.

When the NYO had Folo on top at W 72nd by CWP , they ran out of fuel oil in 76 or 77.. It was 20 deg outside. It got so cold fuses were blowing cause of the space heaters. In the end of a hallway (blocking an exit door) was a pile 2 or 3 desks high of old furniture... I knocked the stuff apart and put into the oil furnace and we got up a head of steam.... people were cheering.

I left shortly after than

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
When the NYO had Folo on top at W 72nd by CWP , they ran out of fuel oil in 76 or 77.. It was 20 deg outside. It got so cold fuses were blowing cause of the space heaters. In the end of a hallway (blocking an exit door) was a pile 2 or 3 desks high of old furniture... I knocked the stuff apart and put into the oil furnace and we got up a head of steam.... people were cheering.

I left shortly after than
I remember NYO (although I think that was W 74th St). They build a passel of auditing rooms and they were cold all the time. The space heater circuit kept blowing (overts? M/U's?) so they plugged their space heaters into the lighting circuit, then that would blow too.

And they screwed up the job of insulating the walls. Instead of soundproofing them, they built them as heat insulating walls, and you could hear each others' sessions. (This was discussed extensively elsewhere on this forum.) Whoever was in charge of that should have been comm-ev'ed.

Helena

Last edited:

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
I remember NYO (although I think that was W 74th St). They build a passel of auditing rooms and they were cold all the time. The space heater circuit kept blowing (overts? M/U's?) so they plugged their space heaters into the lighting circuit, then that would blow too.

And they screwed up the job of insulating the walls. Instead of soundproofing them, they build them as heat insulating walls, and you could hear each others' sessions. (This was discussed extensively elsewhere on this forum.) Whoever was in charge of that should have been comm-ev'ed.

Helena

right 74th, 72nd was the main drag.. I think John Lennon lived in corner building of 72nd and CWP.

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
Oh my gosh, that video showig the dumping of the raw sewerage on Bonaire is just awful! Do they not have any health authorities there to stop that?

It is not just a matter of it seeping into the groundwater. While that is certainly a concern, the more immediate concern is the potential for the spread of disease just by having open pits of sewerage. Do those "pits" or "channels" connect to the sea at any point? What about when they are in the rainy season, do they overflow?

Good God, that is so dangerous. Just unbelievable.