What's new

The Healing Power Of Music

The_Fixer

Class Clown
You were right Panda. Very moving. Brilliant post.

It's amazing just how much the simplest things in life gives us the most in life.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Music, to me, is one of the highest forms of communication we have evolved to, right from the creation of the first man-made beat, it can heal, enlighten, and create from it a wealth of experiences. Unfortunately it can also be used for evil purposes (war-machine marching, crap-rap, balah-blah-blah), but most folks voluntarily steer clear of such.
Most of all it makes people feel good (even saddened blues freaks who're all depressed etc.), the balm that soothes the savage beasts.
Huge topic, but I love my music and love and cherish all the times I've had makng it.

:dancer:

& ROCK ON!

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
Thank you Panda, that was beautiful and yes, Henry is wonderful and I couldn't help but notice that he himself sang beautifully even in his condition.

To Henry :heartflower:

Kutta

Thanks Panda. It's beatiful, lovely. I do so agree. Music and singing are powerful healers. Singing, especially, makes me feel happy. :happydance:

Happy Days

Thanks Panda...

Music is for the heart and soul and look at Henry's awakening ... like magic :)

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
A bunch of us old farts were talking about playing, and it was observed that music is the last thing to go. So we got tickled and started talking about entering the big chamber music house in the sky. For string players, as long as the vibrato holds up we can play forever. It is painful however to hear the very old play when their vibrato goes bad. I guess that is a plus to going to the big music room in the sky on time.

Petey C

Fantastic vid, Panda, thanks -- you've inspired me to try the same with my old dear.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Once upon a time, just a few short years ago, I was in a city, in China, called Changzhou. Some Chinese friends were showing us around.

We went to this park. It was a somewhat bleak wintery day, the trees were all quite bare of leaves and the ground was dry from the sharp chilly cold air.

As we wandered through the park, out of seemingly nowhere, I heard the sound of Chinese instruments piercing through the nippy air.

I asked my Chinese companion what was happening. He just smiled at me and said “you’ll see.”

We neared a pavilion and I saw a group of elderly people playing Beijing Opera. I couldn’t move. I stood before the pavilion mesmerised. The sounds of a mans voice singing - stopping, pausing – as is the way with Beijing Opera, consumed my complete attention. His voice was so powerful. The Chinese instruments playing behind him…so beautiful. Nothing else existed except the sounds of music.

An elderly Chinese woman spotted me standing there and walked towards me carrying a white plastic chair. She indicated I should sit. I wanted to sit and watch the musicians. I wanted to indulge in their beautiful offering to the cold wintery air. I was torn because my companions had already moved on and were waiting for me.

I smiled at the woman, nodded my head to try to express my love and appreciation for the beautiful music and her kind offer of somewhere to sit. She smiled at me with the understanding that I had to go to walk with my companions.

Once I caught up with my companions I asked my Chinese friend “why are these people playing music in this park on this very cold day?”

He said there was no real reason, they just love Beijing Opera and gathered in this place most weekends to sing and play. They are simply old friends who get together to enjoy their music. Their love of the music draws them together in their twilight years, to play music on a cold wintery day in a park.

I remain honoured and blessed to have heard them on that day.

Music fills our world. It heals and inspires and fills our memories with divine recollections. It connects us with love.

Changzhou073BeijingOperaDongpoPark2.jpg

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
I can't get the vid to play. Talk about the definition of "frustration". lol

Right, I'll do some real fancy non-geeky stuff and see if I can view this vid...

"Sally yells at computer 'play, play, play!' several times." :eyeroll:

Sorry Sal, but you're doing it all wrong (I had the same issue) ... what you do is ... give it (the computer) a disdainful glance and swan off as if you couldn't care less, it will play almost immediately and will even make you a nice cup of tea as an apology of sorts.

It's worth the hassle (she's great) but be aware that Seal could make you go very weak at the knees (if you are anything like me) so hang on tight to that cup of tea ...​

:yes:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I can't get the vid to play. Talk about the definition of "frustration". lol

Nor could I. I just went to YouTube, typed in the girl's name (Karise Eden), and got a working video at once. Watch the "The Voice" audition. There are other videos too.

Paul

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron

Sorry Sal, but you're doing it all wrong (I had the same issue) ... what you do is ... give it (the computer) a disdainful glance and swan off as if you couldn't care less, it will play almost immediately and will even make you a nice cup of tea as an apology of sorts.

It's worth the hassle (she's great) but be aware that Seal could make you go very weak at the knees (if you are anything like me) so hang on tight to that cup of tea ...​

:yes:

Okay, I tried that. I gave it my perfect disdainful glance (trust me I've got a highly developed disdainful glance - did I ever mention I was in a cult? :wink2:) and I did my very finest swanning out the room thing, complete with carefree a hair-swishing thing...

Nothing! However I then applied Paul's remedy to the situation....

Nor could I. I just went to YouTube, typed in the girl's name (Karise Eden), and got a working video at once. Watch the "The Voice" audition. There are other videos too.

Paul

Oh! My! God!

Can this young woman sing! My!

Thanks heaps Paul! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-QdjnA2vtI&feature=related