ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The Little Thread Which Grew - the Apollo '73 to Everything But

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by lkwdblds, Feb 28, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

Right on Enthetan!

First, I want to thank the "theta twins' Enthetan and Thetanic. Thetanic has been making a lot of fine posts recently and I wish to acknowledge that. As to Enthetan's post above, you make just excellent irrefutible points. I was begining to see that Hubbard's Green on White Management Policy was flawed. I still thought until recently that it had a lot of truths in it and what it really needed was some fine tuning and a minor overhaul.

You just make excellent points about "physcho's" being empowered to crush people and there is even an LRH Policy to that effect saying that he uses uninhibited people who do wild and unpredictable things as the ones to send in to open up new territories or unstick Org's who have major stops lurking within them. Hubbard liked wild, unpredictable extroverts because they had not yet sold out to being pts to the "middle class".

]WHAT HUBBARD DID NOT ACCOUNT FOR IS THAT WHILE THESE PEOPLE ARE GOOD FOR AN INITIAL SURGE IN STATS, IN THE LONG TERM THEY WILL DESTROY BOTH STAFF AND THE ORG'S FIELD. IF THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE ARE TO BE USED, THEN AS SOON AS THEY UNSTICK AN AREAS STATS, POLICY SHOULD HAVE BEEN THAT THEY HAD TO THEN BE BROUGHT BACK TO BASE, DEBRIEFED AND THEN GO ON STUDY AND GET SOME LOWER LEVEL AUDITING AND JUST BE ON ALERT UNTIL THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE NEEDED

The bold type is an Epiphany (cognition) I just had in the middle of typing the paragraph. I could have figured this out for Hubbard and then forwarded it to him to claim as his own, but I was a "trouble maker". Better just to trash the degraded being, who doesn't go along 100% with the "party line" even though enormous recruitment energy was expended to get him to quit his job and join up with the elite and most ethical group on the planet! Pardon me, does anybody have a bag, I feel like I am going to throw up.

Your point of all the difficulties is equally well taken. In 1973 I figured out a way to shorten the run way. I went off the ship on the day they took libs event though I was not supposed to go. I just inserted myself into a large body of staff of 25 or so people and walked off with them. I went to the American Embassy and told the agent there that I had lost my passport. Immediatley the Apollo was ordered to give me back my passport and within 2 days I was on an airplane going home. I know that with today's heightened security this would be much harder to do but it can sometimes still be done. I just read some well known Scientologist who left C of S not long ago and he did it from the Freewinds, going down the mooring rope which connects the ship to the dock. He was able to get a temporary passport from the island country they were docked in. The Org had guys at the airport to stop him but he boarded the plane and they were not allowed on. When he landed in the USA, I believe there were staff there waiting for him and he eluded them as well. Maybe this was Marty Rathbuns' story, I think it was.

Lakey

2. Blue Spirit

Blue Spirit Silver Meritorious Patron

Thank You

Thank you.

She is special, and was recently found to be a Natural Clear, which was of no surprise to me.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  3. Love these stories!

Carmelo, This cracks me up, and is so true! Mark A. Baker and I both self-identify heavily with Jewish culture, and for me, the more mystic aspects of the religion, too. I think, scratch the surface of any metaphysical/mystical Christian and you'll find Jewish roots, no matter what the Genetic Entity is...

I think for anyone growing up in L.A. or the valley, the culture has impinged on you. Lakey, I remember Cantor's from my college days, but my all time favorite L.A. nostalgia restaurant is The Pantry. You can hold my wake there! :)

Does anybody else remember Clifton's Cafeteria? A favorite family regular outing when I was a child. Lionel Hampton used to play the vibes there (vibraphone). No wonder I grew up loving jazz, the blues, and rock and roll music!

I love this trip down memory lane. Cal Worthington's jingles are forever burned into my neurocircuts! Lakey-thanks so much for keeping this thread going and congrats on reaching 10,000 posts! Keep climbing!

Knott's Berry Farm has always had the best chicken dinners.

Carmelo, submarine races!!! Talk about nostalgia! :happydance: Tee hee!

Those were simpler, more innocent times, in some ways.

One of the benefits of a life well-lived is lots of wonderful, fun, funny and heart-tugging memories and scenes to look back over. No harm at all in doing so, as long as one doesn't get stuck, and stays in the moment in present time as one is progressing through life's experiences.

All the radio stations and D.J.'s surely impacted and informed our collective consciousness, didn't they?

Maybe much as facebook, myspace and twitter are doing for today's youth.

Ted, what were you , an English teacher in a former lifetime!?! Don't turn into a grammer nazi on us, will ya? :) Let Carmelo have his romantic memories and tears in peace! :p

Thanks guys! :happydance:

4. Blue Spirit

Good Story

Lakey, you have done a very good job of it. :thumbsup:

Your memory is quite something due to what ?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  5. Blue Spirit

Cal Worthington

I said recently to my wife that Cal Worthington must be a Marcabian Robot
    to have kept going for so long in the same role.

He's a better car salesman than Les Dane was. :lol:

6. OHTEEATE

OHTEEATE Silver Meritorious Patron

Andy Devine

"Plunk your magic twanger, froggie" was on the Andy Devine TV show. Froggie replied , after materializing in a flash of smike, "Hiya Kids, Hiya, Hiya". It was filmed at a theater in Cleveland. Then he would trick the magician, screw up his tricks, and get the magician so mad he would lunge at froggie, and hurt himself instead.

7. OHTEEATE

OHTEEATE Silver Meritorious Patron

8. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

Sweet thanks for your take on things!

Again, Sweetly, thanks for encouraging me to continue this thread after I stopped at page 11. I really enjoyed the last 18 pages. Having so many other people post is very exciting.
    Lakey

9. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

Ah, someone else who remembers Froggie

Great that you remember Froggie. In the days before today's high tech, I could never figure out how that got that Frog puppet to stand by itself and move around. There did not seem to be any strings or wires and the puppet was too small for a person, even a midget to be inside of it. Do you have any idea?

I started hearing it on radio around 1947 or 1948 when I was 7 or 8 and the old white haired guy smiling Ed Mc Connel was the host. I remeber some funny skits where an older woman was trying to talk to the kids in the audience about "Our Friend the Bee" and Froggie would confuse her and tongue tie her into saying stupid things. All his skits were along those same lines. It came on television around 1951 in L.A.. There was no coast to coast TV in those days and the show was probably put on in Chicago and showed via a recording, wasn't it called kinescope?, which physically had to be flown to L.A.

By the time Andy Devine took over it seems as if I was 15 years old and I would watch Andy do the show but by then I was too old for it and I only watched Andy do it perhaps 15 times whereas, I had heard or saw Smiling Ed do the show hundreds of times when I was was in elementary school.
    Lakey

10. Ted

Ted Gold Meritorious Patron

I am still working on expanding my grade 0; I strive for clarity of communication if or when possible.

To that objective above, you might factor my penchant for laughing at myself, and getting others to laugh at themselves--if at all possible. Some people take themselves far to seriously. Call this my chosen level of randomnity.

As to any former lifetime, who cares? I am alive now. :coolwink:

11. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

Got it. :)

Didn't the man say the world starts with TR 0?

12. More blasts from the past...

Teddy, Boo-boo, we are communicating just fine here! :D Just gently teasing you, as I HAVE BEEN an English teacher in this lifetime and am trying hard not to be a nazi of any sort, especially when it comes to people's self expression or language useage. :p I'm totally in agreement with you in seeking clarity of communication. :)

I celebrate your ability to laugh at yourself, and to see from different viewpoints. I laugh frequently, myself! :D

Lakey, I am convinced that we have already crossed paths in life in our youth, somewhere in LA. Possibly at Cliftons, or the Pantry, or elsewhere while eating with our folks. I was that adorable pale blonde, blued eyed angelic looking little girl, who was too shy to speak to strangers, but would have observed you with a great deal of intelligent curiosity and would have pretended what it would be like if you were my older brother (something I always fervently wanted in life!) :coolwink:

Strangely enough, I can understand yiddish to an extent that surprises me. Only possible connection I can find is that my Grandmother was raised speaking a dialect of old Swiss-German, being a generation or two away from her Amish ancestors. She was raised in a Mennonite farming family. At the very end of her life, she started speaking it again, and I was always able to understand what she was saying, without consciously knowing that language. All I can figure is that Yiddish is very similar in some ways, and I have an ear for it. Maybe my Grandma spoke her first language to me when I was a baby and toddler, who knows? OR I am a Jewish Thetan in a Celtic-Swiss body??? :)

The old Pantry was a cool place, good value for the money. Very New York style (before I knew what that was) where everyone sat at rectangular tables together. Strangers sat and ate together, to consolidate space and serve folks fast and efficiently. First time I ever experienced that.

Not sure about the current scene, but back in the day, all of the waiters were male, wore bow ties, and were allegedly all ex-cons! There was some very interesting energy and vibes there! I always think that, and the ambiance of the old Clifton's Cafeteria, is what made me love film noir and old LA style movies of the 40's and 50's so much as a teen-ager, totally out of sinc with most of my generation.

I vaguely remember Andy Divine tv show as a child. I remember my teen peers joking about "pluck your magic twanger, froggie". I honestly thought that my visual memories of a real froggie puppet associated with this was something I dreamed up. Now Lakey tells me it was a real thing...I'm astonished! :ohmy: Froggie was real! :D OT8, thanks for that link...my mind is boggled... This is for sure a baby boomer thing! :coolwink:

OMG! Green stamps! Most of my peers' homes were decorated with lamps, irons, etc. gotten with green stamps. Remember wise owl stamps? :thumbsup:

13. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

In no particular order:

I remember Andy Devine as Jingles, Wild Bill Hickock's sidekick. The show you guys describe I have no memory of.

How about Blue Chip Stamps?

I still have a page or two of S & H Green Stamps.

I've always liked the detective novels and movies set in San Francisco and LA. Bogie as Sam Spade or Phillip Marlowe. Dashiell Hammett or Raymond Chandler books - I devoured them, the moment I discovered them back in the 60s and 70s. Sue Grafton writing about Santa Barbara is always a good read in these more modern days.

In regard to nazis, I've only seen Seinfeld three times. Two of the shows I saw were The Soup Nazi" episode.

SweetnessandLight, what do you do for fun now? and were you in ECO?

14. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

In no particular order:

Ops,,,Double Posting here, same post twice in a row, I deleted the first one.....Lakey

15. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

In no particular order:

Carmelo, the new picture of you in your Avatar is quite striking! You look as if you have German, Dutch or Scandinavian genetics, is that true? I recall seeing you, looking as you do in that picture around the Orgs quite often. It was not at CC but did you hang out at ASHO for awhile or AOLA. We never spoke but I noticed you and recognize the face. You were not the bubbly, giggly, easy to talk to type but had a fixed dedicated glare and a purposeful attitude if I recall correctly. Correct me if I am wrong.

On the show with Froggie the Gremlin, it was originally a Sunday morning kids' show on radio before TV came into existence and it was called something like "Buster Brown and his Gang." Buster Brown referered to the Shoe Co. who sponsored the broadcast for years. The opening snip which was played every week was this, "A dog barks 'woof' and a young boy's voice says, That's my dog Tige, he lives in a shoe, I'm Buster Brown, look for me in there too."

That refers to the picture of the boy and his dog which was on the heel inside every Buster Brown shoe. When I went to buy shoes with my Mom or Dad, I always wanted them to buy me Buster Brown but they never would do it. They said that Buster Brown shoes did not have a strong arch and would lead me to have flat feet. I tried every time to get them to buy that brand but they would never give in. God my parents were decent people. Always trying to do the right thing. Tomorrow I'll turn 70 years old and I really miss them - my Mom died of breast cancer in 1994 at age 79 and my Dad lived to 88 and died in 2002 from natural causes. Pops and I were very close at the end because I took over his business when I left the Sea Org in 1974.

NOSTALGIA ALERT - Remember buying shoes in the 40's or early 50' where we would stand on an x-ray machine which showed how one's feet fit inside the shoes. I think those were outlawed in the early 1950's because it was found that they were giving too big a dose of x-rays to people.

EARLY TV IN L.A. - In 1948, a friend of mine invited me over to his house to watch TV. His dad sold furniture and had just received an allotment of TV's to sell and took one home for himself. The first thing I ever saw was a tennis match featuring Pancho Gonzales. The screen was 10" or 12". In the begining there was only one channel, KTLA Channel 5. The only things that were on in the begining were mainly cowboy movies (mostly Hopalong Cassidy) and pro wrestling which was just as big then as WWE is now. There were at least 3 wrestling shows on every week, from the Olympic Auditoirum, the Ocean Park Arena in Venice-Santa Monica area and the Hollywood Legion stadium. Does anyone remember the announcer, the famous Dick Lane? He was so good and funny, he really put wrestling on the map in L.A.. He was so popular that Mulholland Dr. up in the hills separating L.A. central from the San Fernando Valley part of L.A. became known as "Dick Lane." This was because all the teen agers in L.A.high schools knew that if they wanted to go somewhere to make out that the two best places were a drive in movie or Mulholland Dr.. I think that Channel 9, called "Don Lee" television came in in early 1949 but it was not until late in 1949 when the major networks arrived on the scene. The CBS network was the first, with channel 2, initially called KTSL quickly followed by NBC who took over channel 4. the ABC network arrived a year or two later as Channel 7.
    Lakey

16. People Collected Blue Chip Stamps like they were Blue Chip Stocks!

Did Dick Lane announce wrestling on t.v.? Isn't he the one with a very distinctive "Whooooaaa, Nellie!" expression that he repeated often? :D

I think I barely missed the foot x-rays, or maybe my folks just wouldn't let me do it more than once or twice. I seem to remember "seeing" the bones of my feet, or someone else's, on a screen or monitor of some sort, which creeped me out. Maybe I watched my older cousins and neighbor's getting x-rayed. I think I even wore Buster Brown's. Did they make kind of clunky saddle shoes for kids?

Yes, blue chip stamps were bigger than big. I think we got them when buying groceries at our local store. People would have store loyalties according to whatever items they were trying to earn enough stamps to redeem in a catalog or store. I forgot that you could get furnature, too. Lakey, you have always been a kind, helpful and generous soul, I'm sure. The Org needed chairs...you are right, Lakey, about Corporate Scientology throwing away talented, helpful people.

I think Carmelo's left-over blue chip stamps are probably collectible for somebody on ebay, or somewhere. :)

No, Carmelo, I was never in ECO. I do a lot for fun, still an avid reader, enjoying reading and posting here on this site, love to garden, paint, creative stuff...lot of community work.

I think a young Key Luke played the number one son on the Charlie Chan movie series...I always liked the way Charlie Chan was so formal and proper, and the sons were so hip and American, and called him "Pop". Did you guys know that Earl Der Biggers, author of Charlie Chan books, based his character on a real life Chinese-American police detective in Honolulu, Hawaii, named Charles Chang? True fact. :yes:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  17. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

Comments

I never heard of Luke before so I just Googled it and you are right. He is the primary player of the Number 1 Son. I was thinking it was someone more famous and came up with J. Carrol Nash but I Googled him and he is not listed as ever being in a Charley Chan movie.
    Lakey

18. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

Drive Ins and Parking

We took a couple of our grandchildren to a drive in movie last summer. Now the drive in is gone. There are so few left - in the nation.

It was fun sneaking people in by putting them in the trunk and then having them crawl through the back seat area.

My friend, who ws a postal employee, had a kid come up to her one day. The kid said, "We saw you last night, at the drive in, my parents moved our car, I wanted to say hi" My friend the letter carrier had been bouncing up and down on the lap of her date.

I remember seeing "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" in the rain, getting shocked by the window speaker. The voltage powering those speakers was the real thing.

As for "parking," there was nothing so scary as cop knocking on your window wanting to see drivers licenses, especially when one or more were underage. It got even more interesting if there was the smell of a non tobacco cigarette in the air.--- and yes, it happened to me more than once.

Speaking of Drive Ins, I was at my favorite fast food joint yesterday. Guy Fieri had done an episode there (with Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives). There was a guy behind me, who had never been there. He had an app on his i Phone that listed the locations that Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives had been to for all the Foodies to find.

19. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

I can get it for you wholesale.

Yesterday at Lowe's, I got spring bulbs at 75% off. I bought $75 - which was nearly $300 worth last week. I'm jazzed. It felt like shoplifting. Such a deal!

My parents taught me the the value of money. We, as a family, usually bought big ticket items plus lots of other stuff, wholesale. There just was never any good reason to pay retail.

We've tried to get this concept over to our kids with mixed results. A friend found us a foreclosed house about ten years ago. We walked a son and daughter in law through the purchase. They both made bupkis at a photo store, but their rent was no different than the mortgage. A few years ago, they sold it for $500K more than they paid, and bought a house closer to us. We've showed them how to get cars at auction rather than from the dealerships.

Then there's the kid, who is about to be laid off. They rent a house in a nice neighborhood, and spend every dime they get. Their mini van is about to come to an end when the lease is up. I can't imagine spending $500 a month for a car. We've bought one car new ever. It was a Volvo, and, boy, was it a lemon. We unloaded it in under a year.

20. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

Hoppy and early TV

When I was a little kid I met Hopalong Cassidy (William Boyd) and shook his hand. I shall never forget that. I had a Hoppy knife that I treasured. In one ski resort I go to, I can still get milk that is "Hoppy's favorite" - Producers Milk.

I loved the the westerns on early TV.

I grew up doing the things in life that I had seen on TV as a kid.

I ride horses; I don't use a saddle though.

I watched Sea Hunt, starring Lloyd Bridges, as a kid.

I took my parents to Marineland of the Pacific. When I was eighteen, I got certified for scuba. Our daughter dives with me when we're on vacation. One time we had just landed in Honolulu, planning on hopping over to Maui, the next day. We decided that we'd kill the afternoon by going diving. After getting down 90 or 100 feet or so, petting a moray eel, waving at the submarine passengers, and having a good time, we returned to the surface. We found that going from high altitude air pressure to deep water pressure in the space of a couple of hours was badddddd idea. We spent the next week in our hotel room watching the winter Olympics, and holding our ears and moaning. That's on the list of "never again."

Then there was the time we were at a premiere and I was talking to Lloyd Bridges. We were having a nice chat, then I mentioned that I had learned to scuba dive because of him. His eyes glazed over. He had heard that comment a million times too many. End of conversation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.