ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The Little Thread Which Grew - the Apollo '73 to Everything But

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by lkwdblds, Feb 28, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

I read all the Charlie Chan novels, and saw a lot of the movies. They were more like popcorn though - pulp fiction.

Same for Nero Wolfe novels, but the TV show (lasting one season) was terrific.

Speaking of trivia. Raymond Burr (Perry Mason), was a floorwalker at J.C. Penny in downtown San Jose before he was an actor.

Sherlock Holmes, Phillip Marlowe, Sam Spade, Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, and Mrs. Fletcher are fine wine - to be savored, to be read or watched, over and over. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Rasil Bathbone and Dr. Watson with the game afoot.

We stayed at Mrs. Fletcher's house in Cabot Cove, Maine last spring. It is in Mendocino, CA. The exteriors were all shot there. Fortunately Jess wasn't there, and nobody died. It was fun, however, walking around seeing familiar sights, including her bicycle. I could hear the theme music playing in my head.

Travel is so much fun.

2. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

In that time period, my uniform was Levis and cowboy boots. David Stokes, Roy Kerswill, and I were about the only people who wore cowboy boots. Do you know the Barbara Mandrell song, "I Was Country, When Country Wasn't Cool"? "I was wearin' straight leg Levis, Flannel shirts, even when they weren't in style" - that was me.

"Buster Browns" are still colloquial (like Kleenex) for saddle loafers. I think they're cute. I wouldn't be caught dead in them, but they have a charm emanating from the 50s.

The advertising images I remember best are:

The bellhop, Johnny "Call for Phillip Morris"

Jack Benny "Jello again"

Lucky Strike Green has gone to war, LSMFT, Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco

and the RCA logo, the dog, Nipper.

Somehow, what you wrote about your parents, opened a big trap door in my consciousness. I'm not dealing well with it. My father, and my father's family, I idolized. Individuals with smarts and know how. My mother was loving, but nobody's definition of strong or smart. She was intuitive though. I remember when she found my stash of grass, or comments she made about my underpants and pregnancy. Oy Vey!

I remember, all too vividly, being high on acid one Sunday morning, looking at her, and knowing my default treatment of her was mean and condescending. I turned it off then, and never turned it back on. After that, I treated her nicely, but most of my life I was such a spoiled brat shit. I wouldn't take my attitude one minute from any child I had, but I laid it on her for a decade and a half.

My mother belonged to the DAR, so I've got family records that go back in England to 1609. My father's father was an out of wedlock child, in India, to a nurse and one of Cecil Rhodes' brothers. My father's other grandfather quit the Bank of England to come to America and become a well known fruit grower and writer. I have correspondence of his, with FDR, Herbert Hoover, Henry Ford, prime ministers of Europe, etc. Now our youngest child lives two blocks from Mr. and Mrs. Hoover's house, the house they built and were living in, when he was elected president.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. Happy Birthday Lakey!

OH, Lakey! Happy Birthday tomorrow, you dear man! I wish you MANY happy returns of the day. I know that you are still growing in a very good way! :) I can see it and hear it happening! Hey, we are halfway to 11,000 on this thread, let's keep climbing! :D

Boy, I would have so given you my Buster Browns, pink and white or light brown and white "saddle shoes". Those things were heavy like cast iron, clunk, clunk! I used to LOVE to run, and they were so hard to run in. I really wanted red Keds sneakers (not ladylike enough for my Mom's little pink and gold Princess, sigh...) I think maybe boys Buster Brown loafers would have been comfortable. Maybe your folks were right, but even after years of dance classes and plenty of abuse with hiking, sports, etc, my arches are just fine, thank you! I think I rebelled from the saddle shoes after a while, reminded me of old style bowling shoes! Yes, VERY 50's style.

I miss my parents a lot, too. They were very wonderful people, and I'm so grateful I had them! :p :yes:

I have bulb envy, sounds like a great haul, Carmelo! I have a handful I need to plant. Now is the best season to plant them, just before our rainy season starts.

I miss going to drive in movies, they are really an endangered species, the land has become too valuable. Wow, speaker shock therapy! Yeowch! :omg:
    Carmelo, if it turns out you are related to Luther Burbank, I will plotz! :D

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  4. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

I was a farm kid, so there were years when I went barefoot every hour of the day that I wasn't in school. My arches are fine.

(for the English teacher in you)

Nope, not Luther Burbank. My great grandfather hosted a variety of pretty well known people to our ranch - R. L. Stevenson - who my g. grandmother wouldn't let in the house because he had consumption. He slept in the barn.

J. Steinbeck, my grandmother resented, because he would hike out to the house, and be sweaty and stinky when he got there.

5. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

Great Memories!

Very impressive connections, some of the most famous people to ever live. So it looks like you had connections to Hubbard even before you joined Scn, you know Cecil Rhodes. Ron claimed he was Cecil in his previous life. No wonder he was able to hook a very intelligent woman such as you into his game.
    Lakey

6. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Lucky Strike - 'It's Toasted'

Zinj

7. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

Thanks for your support.

I agree with you both on drive in movies. There was nothing more fun for a kid than to go to a drive in movied with his family. It was exciting and fun! That part of Americana is fading away.
    Lakey

8. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

Roy Kerswill was a western artist. We did the shsbc at the same time. He looked like Gabby Hayes. His paintings were owned by Dwight D. Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, and other world leaders and corporation presidents, just to name a few. He twinned with our youngest daughter in Dallas at ACW's center in the 90s. I twinned with his wife, Betty. I ended up editing a book of his on the Oregon Trail.

Dean Stokes was a big mission holder. He lives in Texas now.

David and Wally Stokes were Dolores Stokes' boys. All three were auditors.

I liked Jack Benny on the radio better than on TV. You could see the sets much more clearly in your mind's eye than on TV (one dimensiona) . When Jack went down in his vault or started his Maxwell (Mel Blanc) or took the train "Tarzana, Azuza, and Cucamonga!" - you were there. When he got held up "Your money or your life!" and there was that long pause...... followed by "I'm thinking!"

I like baseball on the radio better than TV too. When Nolan Ryan, Don Drysdale, or Sandy Kofax pitched a fast ball, I could see it clearer.

9. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

I remember well the painter Roy Kerswill.

I agree with you. If one was on a long drive, such as coming home from Vegas and one could catch an Angel or Dodger game on radio, that made the trip very enjoyable and time passed quickly. The same for listening to the Lakers being broadcast by the immortal Chick Hearn, Chicky Baby!

Did you ever follow basebal before the Dodgers arrived in 1958? L.A. had two Triple A teams, the Los Angeles Angels and The Hollywood Stars. The Angels were owned by Phil Wrigley of chewing gum fame and their ballpark at 42nd and Avalon in L.A. was a smaller replica of the Wrigley Field in Chicago. The Stars played at Gilmore Field, near the Tar Pits and Art Museum. Gilmore Field for baseball, plus Gilmore Stadium for car racing plus the Pan Pacific Auditorium for U.C.L.A. basketball were all in that area across the street from the May Co. and next to the Farmers' Market.
    Lakey

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  10. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

I remember Mel and Jack doing that bit well. Mel Blanc had so many great voices. My favorite is Bugs Bunny saying, "What a maroon."

Jack's persona (the skinflint, inept musician, etc) and his cast of Mel, Rochester, Dennis Day, Mary Livingston, and Phil Harris was just so strong. Everybody carried their own weight.

11. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Lakey,

70 times around the Sun!
    That's a lot of travel!

Do you get miles for that?

12. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

70 Times Around the Sun! Thanks!!!!!

I thought I'd check if there were any new posts before I shut off my computer for the night and found Carmelo's birthday card. I didn't expect that. To describe my reaction, I can only quote a line from the Henry Bellafonte song. "Come Back Lisa" WIPE A TEAR FROM ME EYE! Thank you so much for your kind thoughts!!!!!!
    LAKEY

P.S. - I PRINTED OUT THE CARD AND WILL PASTE IT IN THE KITCHEN FOR MY FAMILY TO SEE IN THE MORNING. THEY THINK I AM A NUT CASE FOR SPENDING SO MUCH TIME POSTING ON ESMB BUT THIS CARD WILL SHOW THEM WHY I DO IT!

13. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

CARMELO - NOW "CUT THAT OUT!"

Carmelo, Your showing off your knowledge too much. Now Cut That Out!
    (One of Jack's signature lines.) Yes, his cast, what a cast, and they all became stars in their own right. That was the formula Jack used, he shared the limelight with his supporting cast and made stars of them too (I wish LRH would have picked up on that policy). Look how far it took Jack Benny and how fondly he is remembered. Sunday afternoons, on the radio, it was like Jack's family came into your house to visit your family.

I heard Howard Stern say that he patterned his supporting cast using Jack's model. I don't particularly care for Howard because there is too much vulgarity and toilet humor but having each person in the cast, Robin, Fred, Stuttering John, Jackie the Jokeman, Gary Del Abati, etc. be a co star was one of the things I liked about the show.

On the Mel Blanc voices, my Brother remarked that the Porky Pig voice had a certain technique behind it. Let's say Porky wanted to say to a crook who had stolen his "take out" dinner from a park bench and was runing away with it, "Hey, come back with my dinner!" Due to his stuttering, he had trouble saying the word "dinner" when he was excited so what you heard, through Mel Blanc was "Uh hey, come back with my ddin, ddin, ddi,uh.. lunch!" That's the same brother who noticed it when Yvonne could not think of the movie title, "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" , hesitated a bit and blurted out "Pussy on the Rooftop"; that is the identical mechanism on which the Porky Pig character is built. Elmer Fudd was a cute Mel Blanc voice with his lisp, calling Bugs Bunny a "Wascally, Wabit." Hasn't Mel Blanc Jr. taken over and sounds exactly like the original?
    Lakey

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  14. Happy Birthday Lakey!

Congratulations Lakey, on completing seventy successful journeys around the sun! It's quite a good accomplishment! :clap:

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a E-card through our email system, here...sorry, I'm not a high tech being...:D But my intention to remember you and honor the day is there! :yes: :clap:

I'm very proud of the way you are guiding and moderating this thread, and are expanding on your storytelling and writing abilities here and elsewhere. I know it will encourage others to join in and do the same!

I'm enjoying our little trips down memory lane. Chick Hearn impinged on me far more than LRH ever did! :D His voice was so rich and reassuring, even when things were going wrong ("UH OH!"- I can hear him clearly in my mind- he communicated such warmth and down to earth humanity.)

Yes, I remember Chavez Ravine when it was a nice little community, before there was a Doger stadium there. THe Wrigley family was pretty influential. I still LOVE Catalina Island, just scatter my ashes there. :D

15. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

CHICK HEARN LEXICON
    1. The mustard is off the hotdog. - This was directed at a failed hot dog manuever resulting in a turnover of the ball to the other team. A Hot Dog manuever was doing something flamboyand but unnecessary just to show off.

2. If a player made a spectacular fake and completely shook off his defender and the defender stumbled or appeared dismayed, Chick would say, "He faked him into the Popcorn machine, and so and so (the defender) is covered with butter and salt."
    3.If the Lakers were Hot and seemed unbeatable that night, Chick would say that "No one could stop them, not even King Kong on a ladder!"

4.Conversely, if the Lakers were inept on that night and anyone could beat them Chick would say, "The Lakers are sooo bad tonight they could not beat the Sisters of Mercy." (Refering to a fictitious Catholic School girls' team)

5. and 6. Chick's most famous cliche, the one he is remembered for the most comes during "Garbage TIme", itself a Chickism, which is a period at the end of a game where the game has been decided already and the two teams are just playing out the clock. During this period all the 3rd stringers who hardly ever got into a game would be brought off both benches and they would all be trying to impress their coaches so they could get more playing time. The game would become very fast but very disorganized with all the players runing full speed trying to Hot Dog it and show off their wares (skills). When the Lakers or the opponent had clinched the game and garbage time started, Chick would say what is now the immortal line, "The game is in the refrigerator, the butter is getting hard, the eggs are cooling and the Jello is jiggling." I think Chick came up with this as a further extension of the slang term "iced" or "on ice". When one side has essentially won a game, but the clock must be run out or the final innings still must be played, then the game was said to be "on ice".

What a joy, driving home from Las Vegas to L.A. in the early evening if Chick of the Lakers, Vin Scully of the Dodgers, or Dick Enberg of the Rams and the Angels happened to be broadcasting a game, the drive home did not seem like a tedious and boring ordeal of driving 5 hours through the desert. The time went by swiftly. At half time one good stop in Baker or Barstow, either for a sit down meal or to grab a fast food burger, fires and a coke and drive straight through and the game could be the best part of your trip, especially if you lost money in Vegas.
    Lakey

16. My mustard is showing!

Oh my, I have had a few mustard is off the hot dog moments in my life...:duh: :eyeroll:

Reminds me of what my Dad used to say when he would make something really yummy to eat, "Now, eat it with relish!" No matter what it was. Often confused the guests! Made us all grin. I'm so glad I grew up in a home where there was a lot of laughter, love, fun and grins daily!

I remember the "Sisters of Mercy" they were invoked on more than one occasion. I always thought that was based on some real team of sporty Nuns from his past. They do/did exist, you know! Especially back in the heyday of Nunniness.

Those were all great iconic sports announcers and commentators. :yes:

17. Blue Spirit

Blue Spirit Silver Meritorious Patron

Your Not The Only One

You're not only one ! :whistling:

18. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

my arms are crossed and I'm looking askance, "Well!"

19. lkwdblds

lkwdblds Crusader

How could anyone convey so much with one word?

How could anyone convey so much with just one short word, "Well!" plus his arms folded and his looking askance.

And, Carmenlo, their you go again, showing off your vocabulary. Imagine using words like "askance" to intimidate us, "Now, cut that out!"
    Jack

20. CarmeloOrchards

CarmeloOrchards Crusader

You can't be imitating Jack, Lakey, we all know that you are 70 years old and Jack is 39.

Oh Rochester, will you get my car, I have to go over to the May Company, and buy Mr. Lakey a birthday present. They always have such good birthday gifts in the Bargain Basement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.