What's new

The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I spent nine years in Scientology, was trained as a Sup & an Auditor and had a bit of auditing. I would have told you that I understood what a "thetan" (insert any other word to describe a native being) is and what the "bank" (insert any other word to describe the subconscious mind/ego etc) was.

After reading less than 20 pages of "The Power of Now" I can tell you I was wrong.

I've learnt more about who I am and what is truly "wrong" with me in a few chapters of this book than in 9 years of Scientology.

I haven't finished it yet because I have to keep putting it down to digest these simple truths.

The mental gymnastics that a Scientologist has to employ to "understand" the contradictions of Hubbard are simply not there. The complexity is not there.

There are answers in this book.

I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Headend

Patron with Honors
I spent nine years in Scientology, was trained as a Sup & an Auditor and had a bit of auditing. I would have told you that I understood what a "thetan" (insert any other word to describe a native being) is and what the "bank" (insert any other word to describe the subconscious mind/ego etc) was.

After reading less than 20 pages of "The Power of Now" I can tell you I was wrong.

I've learnt more about who I am and what is truly "wrong" with me in a few chapters of this book than in 9 years of Scientology.

I haven't finished it yet because I have to keep putting it down to digest these simple truths.

The mental gymnastics that a Scientologist has to employ to "understand" the contradictions of Hubbard are simply not there. The complexity is not there.

Just wait until you've finished it. :happydance:

I think I might just listen to one of his talks for 30 mins before I go to bed. See ya. :thumbsup:

jodie

Patron with Honors

Yes, GREAT book! I also like his next book, "A new earth".

- jodie

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron

Take your time and enjoy reading the book NOW!

I first read it while white-water rafting down the Grand Canyon! Yippeee!!! :happydance:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Take your time and enjoy reading the book NOW!

I first read it while white-water rafting down the Grand Canyon! Yippeee!!! :happydance:

Umm... not to put too find a point on it.... but, wouldn't *that* be missing the whole point of the book? :)

Zinj

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Umm... not to put too find a point on it.... but, wouldn't *that* be missing the whole point of the book? :)

Zinj

Yes! :D

On the other hand, lying on a bed-roll, looking up at the stars with only the gurgle of flowing water to disturb the silence, cut off from "civilization" and reading about "Now" was pretty cool! :)

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tolle

Would you dare say he is "caseless"?

I can't speak for him, but if one is in the Now such things as "case" cannot exist. Case is protest, resistence, desire. When one is aware of right here, right now then one accepts and is at peace, and therefore there is no protest, resistence or desire, therefore there is no case. :happydance:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I can't speak for him, but if one is in the Now such things as "case" cannot exist. Case is protest, resistence, desire. When one is aware of right here, right now then one accepts and is at peace, and therefore there is no protest, resistence or desire, therefore there is no case. :happydance:

And that feeling is so great. :) :happydance:

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron

I've read the book and like it a lot.

I wish I could agree and that it was that simple. Unfortunately I have twice been in case states where just "being in the now" was an impossibility, because of the level of charge / misemotion I was experiencing - one was a sort of anxiety state, another was a deep depression with a kind of cosmic terror underlying it. Being in the Now wouldn't have helped in either of those situations.

I guess that's why I'm still a supporter of Tech, despite all its and Hubbard's shortcomings (I also found the "Middle Pillar" meditation immensely helpful in a later very rough patch).

Cat's Squirrel

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've read the book and like it a lot.

I wish I could agree and that it was that simple. Unfortunately I have twice been in case states where just "being in the now" was an impossibility, because of the level of charge / misemotion I was experiencing - one was a sort of anxiety state, another was a deep depression with a kind of cosmic terror underlying it. Being in the Now wouldn't have helped in either of those situations.

I guess that's why I'm still a supporter of Tech, despite all its and Hubbard's shortcomings (I also found the "Middle Pillar" meditation immensely helpful in a later very rough patch).

Cat's Squirrel

"Being in the Now wouldn't have helped in either of those situations" because you believe it wouldn't! This is meant with tenderness, I do understand, but it isn't that simple, because you believe it is complicated.

If the tech helps you, then great! But do look to see if the tech could be contributing in any way to your idea that the level of charge and misemotion was too great.

What happened to get you out of those two "case states"?

If you like the idea of balance between two opposites, you could try holistic releasing described briefly below.

When one is really "in" heavy emotion it is natural to want to change it or get rid of it. What works really well is just letting it be, just accepting and welcoming the emotion.

Holistic releasing works like this: Allow the emotion, welcome it and try not to resist it. Ask yourself what the opposite emotion would be and then see if you can allow the opposite emotion to be there just as much or as little as it is. Then see if you can allow the first emotion to be as strong as it is, then allow the opposite to be as strong as it is right now. Backwards and forwards and you may find the opposite emotions discharge against each other and you will feel released.

If you want to use the tech, is there any part of it you can use in those situations that you find works?

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
The two Nows.

Long ago I realized there were two basic nows.

One was the highest now - that of the pure essence of Spirit.

The second was the present time now - in which if you are in the physical universe and operating a body was fairly important if operated optimally.

I first became aware of this second now, when I played sports.

The optimum second now was defined as:

Being here and now in the right place at the right time, doing what you love to do, living your dreams, with the people you loved to be with.

This is the definition of the Green Zone.

The first NOW was defined as:

Life is pure Spirita - it has no formed substance, no motion, no wavelength, no limitation, nor is it located in space or in time or in energy or in things.

Spirita has the infinite potential ability to create and to perceive.

This is the definition of the top of the Gold Zone.

The concept is to get as many key life areas into the Green Zone - then to move upwards to the Gold Zone. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Alan

Wisened One

Crusader
Emma et al:

We also loved PON.

Our better favorite of his is A New Earth.

We've got several copies of it and a few copies of the audiobook of it.

It's THAT good!

Have any of you read/listened to that one yet?

would love to discuss it with someone/all of ya:)

Wisened One

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
"Being in the Now wouldn't have helped in either of those situations" because you believe it wouldn't! This is meant with tenderness, I do understand, but it isn't that simple, because you believe it is complicated.

If the tech helps you, then great! But do look to see if the tech could be contributing in any way to your idea that the level of charge and misemotion was too great.

What happened to get you out of those two "case states"?

If you like the idea of balance between two opposites, you could try holistic releasing described briefly below.

When one is really "in" heavy emotion it is natural to want to change it or get rid of it. What works really well is just letting it be, just accepting and welcoming the emotion.

Holistic releasing works like this: Allow the emotion, welcome it and try not to resist it. Ask yourself what the opposite emotion would be and then see if you can allow the opposite emotion to be there just as much or as little as it is. Then see if you can allow the first emotion to be as strong as it is, then allow the opposite to be as strong as it is right now. Backwards and forwards and you may find the opposite emotions discharge against each other and you will feel released.

If you want to use the tech, is there any part of it you can use in those situations that you find works?

While going through my auditing program I hit a band of AGONY. Previously I was in a state of AMUSED, which was only sightly uncomfortable, in terms of one who is seeking truth and ultimately sovereignty. How I finally got a grip on that, what I called divine agony, was very simple, too simple in fact.

I mean, agony is beautiful but not that beautiful :omg:

How I went through it was to give any flows a neutral acknowledgement. I learned that from Mike Goldstein and John Galusha. Neutral acknowledgements help to still the mind in terms of what flows to you from the mind.

I could have made a big case issue out of it, knowing "the tech" as I do.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron

Thank you LH. Hubbie wants to know that if someone has desire why does that mean they have case. I tried to explain to him and then my words faltered and I thought you might help me out. He is saying if he has a desire to help someone does that mean he is not in the Now and therefore has case?

My question I wanted to ask Mr. Tolle is if one is stilled in their mind and in the Now would they be able to telepathically communicate with others? I'm asking that because Hubbie and I are auditing out the identities that have goals opposing telepathic communication. It appears there are piles of incidents where the being decided not to communicate telepathically, or to hide it somehow.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank you LH. Hubbie wants to know that if someone has desire why does that mean they have case. I tried to explain to him and then my words faltered and I thought you might help me out. He is saying if he has a desire to help someone does that mean he is not in the Now and therefore has case?

My question I wanted to ask Mr. Tolle is if one is stilled in their mind and in the Now would they be able to telepathically communicate with others? I'm asking that because Hubbie and I are auditing out the identities that have goals opposing telepathic communication. It appears there are piles of incidents where the being decided not to communicate telepathically, or to hide it somehow.

I have no experience to share as regards the second question. I could give a theoretical answer, but there is little point in that.

The first question: Desire means one believes one has a lack. The One lacks nothing - how could it, when it is the All? Therefore the belief that one lacks something is a separation from the All, the One, the Now. Desire is a wanting to change the apparent lack. It is a protest or resistence to the perceived lack. This is charge.

Charge or case is protest, resistance or desire. It is wanting to reach what one believes can't be reached or wanting to withdraw from what one believes can't be withdrawn from. Case is how one reacts to life. The reaction is a wanting to reach or withdraw.

Now, here, there is only One, the All, the Nothing. So there is no resistence no desire, no lack. Being All and Nothing there is nothing to reach or withdraw from. There is no case.

"if he has a desire to help someone does that mean he is not in the Now and therefore has case?" This is something I'm still working through, so I can't answer with certainty. What I have experienced is that in the Now there is nothing wrong and there is no desire to alter anything. I can remember clearly once watching a child in great distress and the mother unable to pacify the toddler. Yet I smiled and thought the distress was perfect! I can't explain that any further.

Mostly I do feel strongly moved to help but there is an underlying certainty that everything is exactly as it should be. I suppose we are each on our path to the certainty and unity of the Now, so therefore distress and suffering are transient and a part of the journey. Perhaps the desire to help is a wish to speed the person's journey?

There is no doubt that getting involved in trying to help can be disturbing and generate case, personally I experience that over this whole dilemma of the CofS. But there is the sanctury of this awareness that we are talking about and once experienced I believe it is always there to return to whenever helping is causing hurt and case in self.

The only great person I have personally met is Douglas Harding - a great soul! Three years ago I was there when he was asked what one should do about the suffering in the world. His reply was profound and mystical. He agreed there was so much suffering and said what one can do with the suffering is "take it in, take it on" then he paused and said "and this is the mystery, you take it in, take it on and take it away!" The moment he created was transcendent and all was well! :happydance: