What's new

THE POWER OF SOURCE

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Oh! Gawd! Now there is an overt LRH did to us!

Now i gotta confess :blush: I bought 50 of those Power of Source albums - I listened to the first one for a couple of songs - opened another album because I thought that I had a bad pressing - it wasn't so - I immediately took all 50 albums and disposed of them "utterly" - in the trash container outside. :omg:

Alan

Like to share any more pleasure moments Alan? :)

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
We all had to write a "success story" type letter to him after listening to the record at an "event". I wrote and said aomething like "quite frankly I prefer your tech to your music."

I later got a formal SO-1 ack. No other comments from up there.

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have to say. I grew up in music. Work in music now.

The music was .... amatuerish.

Some of the sound techniques used were advanced for their time. Performances .. not so much.

But give me a Pro Tools system and a waves bundle over whatever they used anyday.

I could do a better job on the technical side than ever was done with that music back then. Using the same equipment they used.

sandygirl

Silver Meritorious Patron
You know...it's just another example of CO$ going way tooooooo far! I was in at the time but even then I knew Ron really wasn't a Music Maker. That whole series of books was quite honestly, ridiulous. Why did Ron have to be the expert in every aspect? How phony!! Ron the Educator,Photographer, Music maker, blah, blah, blah,

SabinaM

Patron
When we did call-in for events, the Event I/C would have all those CDs full blast on repeat all day, so loud that we could barely hear the people we were trying to talk to on the phone. It was just ridiculous; the music was embarrassingly bad. I still get those songs, as well as the Sea Org "theme song" stuck in my head, years later.

SabinaM

Patron
What's the SO "theme song"?

Paul

I'm not actually sure what the proper name of it is; it's just an instrumental piece with trumpets which is supposed to sound vaguely uplifting and military-esque. It's played on Sea Org Day and I think it's also used as background music in the SO recruitment slide show. I can't find a recording on the net anywhere but maybe someone else will have better luck.

nowout

Patron with Honors
I'm not actually sure what the proper name of it is; it's just an instrumental piece with trumpets which is supposed to sound vaguely uplifting and military-esque. It's played on Sea Org Day and I think it's also used as background music in the SO recruitment slide show. I can't find a recording on the net anywhere but maybe someone else will have better luck.

I remember that. It was very repetitive. The Gold Musician composed it and probably sent tapes out. They used to play it live on SO Days which was last celebrated in the mid 90s or so. It has since been cancelled every year by DM as the staff didn't deserve it nor deserve to get promoted in rank/rating.

Staff were ordered to sing "Make it Go Right" after every weekly staff meeting, which became very robotic and another thing to "endure". Probably still happening.

Anon needs to rickroll them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=related

DartSmohen

Ha, funny! When one is bright-eyed with idealism of clearing the planet with the help of master guru, Ron Hubbard, the music was beautiful to me. Especially liked the auditor's song.

Weren't Ron and Chick Corea good friends? Did they ever collaborate on music?

Well, in the words of a famous songster, Ron did it his way.

I do not think they ever officially collaberated. Chick played under sufference on the POS album, ensuring that his name never got appeared on the credits.

Chick remains a loyal cult supporter, working on the FSM lines.

He is a nice guy, I used to audit him when he came to St Hill.

Soul of Ginnungagab

Patron with Honors
I consider the music "Power of Source" OK. It was released and presented at a party in the org where people could dance to the music. I do not recall any special heavy enforcement on that one. Only the promotion was not OK, the promotion kind of tried to enfoce a kind of enthusiasm that made you expect something incredible powerful way beyond what could be accounted for. The music was jazz music, it was not particular my style of music, but it was OK.

The music "Space Jazz" was released many years later. also this music is OK.
On this one I do recall heavy enforcement. You were forced to stay after study to hear the music. I didn't.
And the promotion was weird talking about ways of making music never heard of, using computers in a new way. I had heard music made by computers in sophisticated ways already early in the seventies, so I expected something in a highly avant-garde style. Well, it turned out not to be avant-garde. The promotion really had a tendency to destroy the simple joy of listening to the music.

"Power of Source" is a strange tittle actually. The subject "source" is dealt with on power processing and I have a tendency to believe that there are some unflat power buttons connected to the subject, like mis-assignment of source or whatever.

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
I consider the music "Power of Source" OK. It was released and presented at a party in the org where people could dance to the music. I do not recall any special heavy enforcement on that one. The music was jazz music, it was not particular my style of music, but it was OK.

The music "Space Jazz" was released many years later. also this music is OK.
On this one I do recall heavy enforcement.
One thing that was wrong was the weird promotion talking about something incredible and never heard of kind of music. The promotion really had a tendency to destroy the simple joy of listening to the music.

"Power of Source" is a strange tittle actually. The subject "source" is dealt with on power processing and I have a tendency to believe that there are some unflat power buttons connected to the subject, like mis-assignment of source or whatever.

Of course, "Source" was the title used for Hubbard.

(A perhaps relevant reference to the word "power" can be found in the 'Bolivar PL'.)

"Tell me a source," etc., was part of the "Power Processes." There the word has a different meaning. (G. Filbert wrote that Hubbard was unflat on Power Processes and therefore began calling himself, "Source"; Filbert also wrote that Hubbard, while doing OT 3, accidentally, "blew" himself - sent himself away by accident - leaving behind a BT to run Scientology from there on out, etc.)

As I recall, the word "Source" was also at the "top" of the (then) "Grade Chart," so the word "source" has a number of meanings.

But being "connected to Source" meant being "connected to LRH."

The title was strange only in that the glorification of "Source" (Hubbard) was not always fully appreciated by some "public" persons.

Usually this was corrected after reading "KSW' enough times.

As far as deciding when Hubbard went off the deep end, maybe it was in 1938, after that nitrous oxide experience at the dentist, after which he wrote 'Excalibur' and decided to "make Napoleon look like a punk," and "smash" his "name into history."

Or...

> I still think the worst thing we had to listen to was.....................
>CAN WE EVER BE FRIENDS??????
>I could barely keep a straight face listening to that one on the PTS course!
>You couldn't pay me enough to actully give that to someone I knew!!!

My god, that tape was (is) awful. I remember thinking exactly the same thing: I am never, never going to give this to anyone. They'd think I was psycho if I did.

It was astonishing to me even then that so many people in the church could think that Scn's PR campaigns / general approach to communicating with the public could come off as anything but cheesy and scary. The response was always "but we're getting new people in." Perhaps. But how many more did you scare off for good?

sandygirl

Quote from Metaperspective:
It was astonishing to me even then that so many people in the church could think that Scn's PR campaigns / general approach to communicating with the public could come off as anything but cheesy and scary. The response was always "but we're getting new people in." Perhaps. But how many more did you scare off for good?

I know that was the response but did you ever see any of these "new people"?
I sure didn't.
I can't even imagine what it's like in there now!:thumbsup:

OHTEEATE

Can we ever be friends?

Done in Grief on purpose, the Fred Hare narrated cassette tape, "Can we ever be friends? " was such a complete embarrassment, I just shook my head each time I saw it for sale in the bookstore. It was re-made with Jeff Pomerantz doing the schlock this time, nope, just as bad. Especially the corny organ warbling music straight out of a 1950's soap opera. So Bad, it must surely be considered one of the worst productions of all time actually charged money for. Listening to it on PTS/SP was painful. Almost as painful as the many hours of rote drill of the Tone Scale in full minus 40 to plus 40 with each number after the correct tone, in order. What horse shit. I am so glad to be done with Scientology. What a freaking relief!

Smitty

Reply to DartSmohen

Back in the early 1970's Hubbard expanded his delusion that he knew anything about music, in fact I would probably consider him to have been tone deaf.:screwy: :puke:

His syncophantic entourage worked with him to produce a record album, a howling cacophony of noise, an absolute load of drivel. Musical celebs were coerced into performing on it, they INSISTED that their names be excluded from the record sleeve (for contractual purposes ?).:timebomb:

At St Hill, the execs were ordered to play the record DAY AND NIGHT, outside the Cashier's Office. We could not escape the bloody row. Frequently someone (unknown) would come along and stab the record with a knife, or grab it and throw it like a frisbee down the drive. There were frequent Board's of Investigation into who was doing such a suppressive act.:whipped:

Members of the public were "urged" to buy their own copy, after all, it was going to be a classic album. It was, a classic piece of sh*t.

We used to have photos of Hubbard sitting at two organs, pretending to play, giving the impression that he was a real maestro. Well, if the noise he produced on that record was anything to go by, as a representation of his musical acumen, then he was a complete flop.

Mind you, people who have heard the band play live, the Apollo All Stars, say they were pretty good.

One day, one of the band turned up at St Hill. "Hi, I'm Kenny" he said, grinning, expecting adoration from all around. "Kenny who?" was the reply.
"Kenny C..........man, you know, Apollo All Stars ?".

About four voices replied at once "You bastard!" "You are one of those responsible for that f**king row we have been subjected to all day and night"

Needless to say, this response did not go down well with the management.:nazi:

Even today if the record is mentioned, it elicits cringing shame that the person had actually bought a copy, or anger at being subjected to the noise.

That is how it was received in the UK. I wonder if the same reception greeted it on other continents.

I heard the Power of Source album several years after it was released. The mission I was employed at had a copy left over in the book store that no one wanted to buy. I asked the E.D if it was any good and she just looked at me and said nothing. I asked a staff member I was living with who had been in longer than I had and he said, "It's a good jam, but I would not call it an album." He had the album in his collection, so I asked him if I could play. "Sure, go ahead."
He left the room as I listened to it. I thought that it was horrible. Poor audio engineering, amateurish musicianship, and poor composition/arrangement.
I listened hoping that I would find a decent song, but gave up on side two.
Smitty

Smitty

reply to Ohteeate

Done in Grief on purpose, the Fred Hare narrated cassette tape, "Can we ever be friends? " was such a complete embarrassment, I just shook my head each time I saw it for sale in the bookstore. It was re-made with Jeff Pomerantz doing the schlock this time, nope, just as bad. Especially the corny organ warbling music straight out of a 1950's soap opera. So Bad, it must surely be considered one of the worst productions of all time actually charged money for. Listening to it on PTS/SP was painful. Almost as painful as the many hours of rote drill of the Tone Scale in full minus 40 to plus 40 with each number after the correct tone, in order. What horse shit. I am so glad to be done with Scientology. What a freaking relief!

Ditto! I sent it to my mother who was antagonistic to Scn and she played it at her place of employment. Reportedly, those listening to it laughed at and ridiculed it. I thought it was extremely stupid as well, but was supposed to handle PTS conditions. If anything, it made them worse, getting parents to question your sanity and that of the cult.
Smitty

Soul of Ginnungagab

Patron with Honors
Soul of Ginnungagab said:

Of course, "Source" was the title used for Hubbard.

(A perhaps relevant reference to the word "power" can be found in the 'Bolivar PL'.)

"Tell me a source," etc., was part of the "Power Processes." There the word has a different meaning. (G. Filbert wrote that Hubbard was unflat on Power Processes and therefore began calling himself, "Source"; Filbert also wrote that Hubbard, while doing OT 3, accidentally, "blew" himself - sent himself away by accident - leaving behind a BT to run Scientology from there on out, etc.)

As I recall, the word "Source" was also at the "top" of the (then) "Grade Chart," so the word "source" has a number of meanings.

But being "connected to Source" meant being "connected to LRH."

The title was strange only in that the glorification of "Source" (Hubbard) was not always fully appreciated by some "public" persons.

Usually this was corrected after reading "KSW' enough times.

As far as deciding when Hubbard went off the deep end, maybe it was in 1938, after that nitrous oxide experience at the dentist, after which he wrote 'Excalibur' and decided to "make Napoleon look like a punk," and "smash" his "name into history."

Or...

I am fully aware that Hubbard calls himself "source" and that "Power of Source" refers to that. And I know the 'Bolivar PL'.

I agree with G. Filbert that truth is indeed power. And my point was really to put attention on that truth is violated although I didn't say that directly. So the title "Power of Source" just underlines my point that there are indeed unflat points on the subject of power connected to the subject. Truth is the matter.

DartSmohen

I am fully aware that Hubbard calls himself "source" and that "Power of Source" refers to that. And I know the 'Bolivar PL'.

I agree with G. Filbert that truth is indeed power. And my point was really to put attention on that truth is violated although I didn't say that directly. So the title "Power of Source" just underlines my point that there are indeed unflat points on the subject of power connected to the subject. Truth is the matter.[/QUOTE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you will find that the alluding to Source in the title refers to Dept 21 of the Org Board. It is a positioning spin.

The main theme of this thread is the awful series of music and cheesy messages that were put out in an attempt to enhance the public perception of Hubbard and Scn.

For me, the best one done was in the late 1960's where they got Charlton Heston to read "My Philosophy". That was impressive. :thumbsup:

I used to play poker with Fred Hare and the idea of him trying to sound warm and meaningful is hilarious. No wonder it didn't work. This was the man that Hubbard had selected togo to the USA in 1968 and train as a psychiatrist in order to infiltrate the AMA. :melodramatic:

As for some of these "pronouncements" by G. Filbert, the kindest thing we can say is that everybody has an opinion and is entitled to it. :duh:

Soul of Ginnungagab

Patron with Honors

I agree with G. Filbert that truth is indeed power. And my point was really to put attention on that truth is violated although I didn't say that directly. So the title "Power of Source" just underlines my point that there are indeed unflat points on the subject of power connected to the subject. Truth is the matter.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you will find that the alluding to Source in the title refers to Dept 21 of the Org Board. It is a positioning spin.

The main theme of this thread is the awful series of music and cheesy messages that were put out in an attempt to enhance the public perception of Hubbard and Scn.
Yes, and that is one reason that my former reply ends with the words "Truth is the matter." Because that is a big matter. People join scientology because they want to find truth and when a record like "Power of Source" is promoted the scientologists expect the promotion to be in alignment with a high degree of truth. So the promotion builds up an "expectation level" of an extremly high degree, you really expect something incredible great. Then people hear the music and get disappointed. It is a pity because the music on "Power of Source" is really OK, it is fun and joyous.

Now that I think of it I think that the title "Power of Source" is actually a piece of art. The reason is that this thread demonstrates that the title can be understood many ways. I regard a piece of art as something that doesn't tell everything, something that inspires the audience to create him/her-self. We were never told directly why the record had that title and people outside scientology would have no idea indeed. But they will often consider "power" and "source" as strong subjects. But the title "Power of Source" has become ironic since the sources of scientology have been hidden for years and are getting more and more hidden. And yet there are a lot of sources that the subject could relate to. It would indeed be a very powerful thing to acknowledge and validate those sources instead of denying them.

Last edited: