ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The psychic side of sports

Discussion in 'Human Potential, Self Discovery' started by Veda, Sep 25, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Late 1979, at a Greenwich Village club in NYC, I attended a solo performance of former Incredible String Band member Robin Williamson.

After the event, I ran into my old Scientology Academy Supervisor, said hello and, having a newly purchased book in my hand, showed him the cover of the book. He cringed in fright. At the time, I had been slowly backing away from Scientology, and building my library which included "other practices" books. He was still very much IN Scientology, and had entered the 'no interference zone" between Clear and OT 3.

It must have been the book cover than freaked him out.

Probably made him think of "implants," and the title seemed to indicate this was a book about "other practices." I guess it was, in a harmless sort of way.

So that ended our brief conversation, and he wandered off trying not be be keyed-in, no doubt to avoid having to buy any more intensives of auditing to "repair" his having made contact with a "squirrel."

The cover:

[​IMG]

As far as know, the text of the book is not available on the Net, but it comes highly recommended.

Its Table of Contents lists:

1) The Spiritual Underground of Sports

2) Mystical Sensation

Acute Well-Being​

Peace, Calm, Stillness​

Detachment​

Freedom​

Floating, Flying, Weightlessness​

Ecstasy​

Power, Control​

Being in the Present​

Instinctive action and surrender​

Mystery and Awe​

Feelings of Immortality​

Unity​

3) Altered Perception

Altered Perception of Size of Field​

Alterations in Time Perception​

Extrasensory Perception​

Out-of-Body Experiences​

Awareness of the "Other"​

4) Extraordinary Feats

Exceptional Energy

Energy Reaching Out: Psychokinesis​

The Invisible Barrier​

Mind Over Matter​

5) Sports and Mysticism

The Spiritually evocative Elements of Sports​

The Perennial Philosophy​

Exceptional Powers​

6) Mind/Body Training

Elements of the Mind/Body Training Program

A Mind/Body Program for Joggers and Runners​

7) Evolutionary Possibilities

[​IMG]

Lurker5 likes this.
  2. Caroline

Caroline Patron Meritorious

Lurker5 and Veda like this.
  3. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Running and the brain endorphin effects @Veda @Caroline

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20851505/how-to-achieve-a-runners-high/

<quote>
    Runners have credited them for their feel-good effects for decades, but it wasn’t until 2008 that German researchers used brain scans on runners and were able to identify exactly where they originated. The scientists found that during two-hour-long runs, subjects’ prefrontal and limbic regions (which light up in response to emotions like love) spewed out endorphins. The greater the endorphin surge in these brain areas, the more euphoric the runners reported feeling.
    </quote>

Date: March 6, 2008
    Source: University of Bonn
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080303101110.htm

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Lurker5 likes this.
  4. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

I read Murphy's Future of the Body in 2005. Well researched and written, slightly above my reading level so a struggle to take it all in. But it's the same stuff -- he compares similar phenomena across world-class athletes, renowned mystics/religious figures, et al.

Paul

Veda likes this.