ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The Scientology "Soft Landing Place" - blog post by Just Bill

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by VaD, May 10, 2011.

1. VaD

VaD Gold Meritorious Patron

http://askthescientologist.blogspot.com/2011/04/scientology-soft-landing-place.html

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

There is a good line from the post:

Isn't THAT true?!

2. VaD

VaD Gold Meritorious Patron

Re: The Scientology "Soft Landing Place" -comment by Just Bill

There is an interesting comment that Just Bill left here:
    http://askthescientologist.blogspot...howComment=1304962170499#c4950979733044507050

Question:
    Answer:

3. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

I love Just Bill!! :clap:

4. boatswain

boatswain Patron

It's a very good question - how does the auditing process induce an addictive biochemical high? Explaining the core mechanism why people enjoy auditing so much would be a great start to explaining how Scientology works so well as a thought reform cult. Certainly the way Scientologists talk of 'blowing charge' has a somewhat euphoric connotation that smacks of an addiction.

I've read of at least one ex/critic who believes it's an electrical effect of the e-meter on the body, although the skeptic in me finds that doubtful.

People do become 'addicted' to other forms of psychotherapy and ritual though, and Hubbard was certainly familiar with forms of occult rituals that may have similar mental effects - no supernatural mumbo-jumbo or BTs required!

Here is a recent article on "Therapy Addiction" - change some keywords and it could easily describe 'progress' up Hubbard's imaginary Bridge.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/small-steps/200912/when-therapy-becomes-addiction

This quote from a 1993 NY Times article is also telling in that it nails a key tenet of Scientology.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/18/w...ds-when-a-long-therapy-goes-a-little-way.html

5. Student of Trinity

Student of Trinity Silver Meritorious Patron

This does seem like a good question to me. The 'auditing high', as this anonymous poster seems to have coined the term, would seem to be a double whammy. Not only is it apparently addictive in itself; it also serves as a kind of evidence supporting the whole Scientology theory, of 'engrams' and 'charge' and 'running it out'. If there's really such a drug-like effect from auditing, then it would seem as though any idiot could run a pretty good cult based on it.

And this would resolve some of my own longstanding perplexity about Scientology. The cult has just been a bit more successful than I feel I can plausibly attribute just to Hubbard's glib prose. The notion that there are a few valuable things in the mass of wacky Scientology theory and practice has seemed like an almost necessary ancillary factor, except that none of the ones specifically pointed out has ever really seemed good enough to do the job. But if you throw in a drug-like auditing high, then I can totally see how Scientology could have come about as it has.

6. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Yes it's not all about the glib prose. The only thing that will make a person stick with it through thick and thin is that 'high' you sometimes get. I can't say that is what made me stay though, mine was more about family with the added perhaps of a breakthrough if I was a good gal. :eyeroll: In fact the best 'win' I ever had in auditing was on a question "has anything been suppressed?". Well duh....
    Once you get that off your chest (as long as it's not about the tech or organisation) you can feel great, for....days. I have since found of course that the same thing can happen in a good deep and meaningful conversation, as mentioned on Scooter's thread.