What's new

"The Secret" (Law of Attraction)

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Pretty much everything that has mattered the most to me in life and really made it all more than worthwhile has come to me without conscious plans or "postulates" on my part. I'm kind of happy that I haven't micromanaged life more, I'm not quite executive material. :p

I know what you mean!

Many times I have had a feeling of too much choice. Where should I live what kind of house etc, and random decisions are useful. A friend of mine wanted to leave France but didn't know where to go, so many countries are not France. She took a pin and a map and ended up in the South of England. She could have chosen a warmer place, a friendlier place, a more exciting place but she ended up at a cold wet sea side resort and hasn't moved away after many years. You can say that she decided she was going to move out of her country but she could never be an executive type getting everything she wanted sort of gal. Perhaps that makes her a failure in life, she's not happy in many ways but I've met movers and shakers who do get what they want and they are not happy either.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. I think you can get crowns and thrones and power and influence but you need to give something back. If you don't give enough back you end up dying like trailer trash alone and unloved despite your millions. Hubbard's affirmation show that he didn't think karma affected him, he was too high up on some scale of oatyness. But he did get what he deserved in the end. Maybe some never do get their bill at the end, we can never tell.

At the same time if I need something and know what it is I usually get it, I might have to put my hands in my pocket and pull out some money, but that's just mechanics. Someone I knew was doing a cookery course and doing very well, his self esteem was coming right up and I wanted to give him a present to encourage him. I went to a jumble sale, nothing much there and I was going out empty handed when I saw a big plastic bag, not very interesting, I asked what it was and it was a bright red brand new mixer and whizzer and chopper set that had never been used but was out of it's box, they wanted 50p for it, (a dollar). It made his day. I could say that the 'universe' provided it, it did feel like that. I could say it was the little baby Jesus, or Shiva, Thor or my guardian Angel. I wanted something, not for myself but to give to someone else. I had faith that I would find it and I did, and he loved it, and that is all the secret is. But then I have faith that I will go to sleep and wake up the next day and it's always come true. One day though it won't. Somehow I have had enough food to keep this body of mine ticking over, I'm not asking the universe for a palace I'm happy with the shelter I have, I have clothes and food too I am grateful but don't have a clue what the providence I owe it all to is. Thanks providence whatever or whoever you are!

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
As a wise man once said " There are many paths up the mountain, once at the top it is all the same for everybody ".

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
It's based on affirmations, similar to what Ron was doing before Dianetics.

I stumbled upon this last night and ended up watching the whole thing today. I'm very impressed. Inspired even. It's basically a lot of what most of us wanted to get out of Scientology. Except this is, well, free for one thing.

I like that I can take note of some of the presenters that I feel particularly drawn to and look up their individual videos on YouTube later, such as Jack Canfield for example.

I decided to post this in case anyone else might be interested, or even needing to hear this perhaps. I needed it.

The only thing I don't like is the three plus minute intro. A little too dramatic for my tastes. For me it really gets going at the 3:25 mark.

I'd love to hear what any of you who watch it sometime think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VoUnXly5GM

(And no, this isn't a cult or even a movement. Just a film with a handful of presenters who've been teaching this subject for years and years. There is no sales pitch at all either).

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron
A friend of mine showed up once with the "secret" CD and I asked him to lend it to me. I watched it twice, I was fascinated. Then I did what it said and applied the stuff. I made my wishes just like in the fairy tale. Or was it the ghost who came out of the bottle who would make masters wishes materialize?

I made it pretty unrealistic in a way that it's really hard to achieve, almost impossible, a bit nuts to be honest. Then I went to work and changed my mind and worked even harder.

Almost everything happened like I wished 4 years ago or very much close to it.

I think it is a good CD. I have also the book but never read it. That's what on the CD is in my mind now. There are other good books or information as well. It's not only "one" secret.

What you have to understand is that happiness, wealth and being rich starts in your mind. It's your mindset which limits you to a life you are not happy with. If you want to change your life, you have to change your mind. If the "secret" does it then it's good :)

Just as easily could say it starts in your heart as a passion to create something of value and share it
with others and accept with graciousness and gratitude when others may want to contribute towards
you doing more of it.

Just a thought not a challenge or debate :coolwink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY2StuP3rd4

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Opportunities fly past us unnoticed all the time. You might not want to leave your home and family so don't even notice jobs going in a paradise islands that you actually qualify for. One day things change, you want to change everything leave your spouse and seek your fortune somewhere else and you see a youtube clip about the law of attraction, then you find the ad for road sweeper in Hawaii you have ignore for twenty years and go for it. Then you say that it was because you watched a clip on youtube. The solution was always there, the decision to change wasn't.

I hear yah Deacon. :thumbsup:

I've been self learning Rhetoric.

My latest adventure has me reading this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=oN...&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'm on page 84, and the chapter IV title is "The sublime in Writing".

Since Hubbard knew rhetoric, I connected some dots.

Sublime means this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublime_(literary)

specifically this from the link:

"The earliest text on the sublime was written sometime in the first or third century AD by the Greek writer (pseudo-)Longinus in his work On the Sublime (Περὶ ὕψους, Perì hýpsous). Longinus defines the literary sublime as "excellence in language", the "expression of a great spirit" and the power to provoke "ecstasy" in one's readers.[SUP][1][/SUP] Longinus holds that the sublime may be found in every work, since the goal of a writer should always be to produce a form of ecstasy."

So, in my connecting dots, I concluded Hubbard set out to achieve Sublime in his writings, and the state known as Clear and OT are sublime, ecstasy. But, of course, thru experience there are no Clears or OT's. But it's the "sublime" in Hubbard's writings that gave us the impression those states of existence were possible.

And "The Secret", Hill, Carnegie, Wattles, etc are all using sublime. I guess sublime is now a days called motivational, inspirational, etc.

One has to realize Rhetoric was not taught in our upbringing, at least not in mine. But it was taught in the early 1900's and before.

Don't you be spreading misinformation, just because YOU missed it! :biggrin: It's taught in public school systems, in all colleges, even in at the Community College level.

I had it starting in jr. high school, again in high school and again in college, here in Southern California. It's actually one of the cornerstones of academic education!

I'm happy for you that you're getting caught up with an important subject which you missed. :thumbsup:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Just noticed this news from a couple weeks ago:

Katie Holmes to Star in Adaptation of Self-Help Book 'The Secret'

She will play a widow who meets a handyman who shares his philosophy of believing in the power of the universe.

Katie Holmes will star in The Secret, based on the best-selling self-help book by Rhonda Byrne.

The film, to be directed by Andy Tennant (Hitch, Sweet Home Alabama), will follow a young widow with three children who hires a handyman to fix her house during a terrible storm. As the handyman grows closer to the family, he shares his philosophy of believing in the power of the universe to deliver what we want, but the widow soon realizes he carries a secret connection to her past. <snip>

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/katie-holmes-star-adaptation-help-book-secret-1028025

Also, another article as well from the Daily Mail (UK)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4776688/Katie-Holmes-star-movie-adaptation-Secret.html

Last edited:

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
I remember when this book was all the rage for a while and it made me kind of sick. I'll tell you what it reminded me of. No offense against Buddhism as an idea or a philosophy (I've always liked the core concepts), but I knew people specifically from the Buddhist association Soka Gakkai International and they would chant to get things, i.e.: jobs, cars, money (especially money), women, and other shit that were unrealistic. I was like, why not just play Scratchers? Seemed more realistic than wishing for the universe to drop good luck into your lap.

If the whole positive thinking thing worked, then tell me; how is it people are still poverty stricken or starving, being abused and trafficked, tortured or raped, shot near their homes, or blown up in wars? How does one chant their way out of that? How does a person put out positive postulates into the universe and expect return on these investments?
Here's something (actually two things) that I'm learning and changing in my core personality since I left Scientology. I'll share it. Maybe some people already felt this way before and after, but whatever; I learned it later on. And I'm a bit ashamed of my views during the time I was a Scientologist. Someone talked about how judgmental we can be on another thread. I think that's very true, but at least I've changed.

I no longer have expectations of others. I used to have a lot. Not having them has serious helped me. It helps me not to judge and lets other people be who they are. Everyone is allowed their reactions, and I am learning that more and more. Yes, people should be good to each other. But people are allowed to get upset or angry. Like I said, I'm learning and changing.

The other thing doesn't have too much to do with this thread, but I used to think people's value had to do with their accomplishments. I really did. Isn't that awful?

Anyway, I've veered enough. Thank you for playing.

Gib

Crusader
Don't you be spreading misinformation, just because YOU missed it! :biggrin: It's taught in public school systems, in all colleges, even in at the Community College level.

I had it starting in jr. high school, again in high school and again in college, here in Southern California. It's actually one of the cornerstones of academic education!

I'm happy for you that you're getting caught up with an important subject which you missed. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that post Sweetness, you are absence here on ESMB and not posted for awhile and I miss your posts, I hope you are doing well.

I have a question for readers here, how many learned rhetoric and sublime?

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
The Law of attraction works far better than anything old Hurbturd laid claim to - end of that story.

So many many are available for people to use as self help programs that are inexpensive, not a cult, nor or they high demand groups led by a guru.

I never got why people who were in & dedicated to scn didn't make a transition to Identics ( a 19.95 book ! ) & almost no one gets more than about 10 hours of the processing & go with their life!

Oh, Idenics is about 1,000 times faster than scn & helps people with they feel has bothered them. ( orients to the person not the formality of a process ).

Last edited: