ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

The Unbreakable Miss Lovely book tour ends in Adelaide and Perth

Discussion in 'Tony Ortega' started by tetloj, Oct 19, 2015.

View Users: View Users
  1. tetloj

tetloj Silver Meritorious Patron

Tony confirmed yesterday that Bryan Seymour will be at the Perth event :clap:

I have been in touch with Bryan Seymour and a Perth colleague to identify avenues to get the word out. In the first instance we are targetting similar groups to those who have supported the US book tour (atheists, humanists, sceptics etc)

As a never-in, I am not acquainted with any exes at all, and in the four years I have been posting at the Village Voice/Bunker and about 3 here, I have noticed precious few in Perth/WA.

I am keen to get in touch with anyone who can direct me to people who might be interested who are living in Perth who I can email, send info to

I also don't post much at - or read much any longer - at WWP so not sure if there are any anons active in Perth - anyone have any knowledge about this?

Please comment here or PM me with any ideas.

Perth is the last stop and we want to make it a good 'un :thumbsup:

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  2. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

Re: The Unbreakable Miss Lovely boom tour ends in Perth

Some commenters know what's going down...

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...s/news-story/64a4a1bec7edd39c80700a035ab0660b

Inside the Church of Scientology’s planned $6 million Perth headquarters

3. tetloj

Re: The Unbreakable Miss Lovely book tour ends in Perth

The new Org is not far from where Tony is appearing so I will try to do a drive by while I'm in Perth.

4. Kerry

Kerry Patron with Honors

Yuck! They couldn't be "relocating" to an uglier part of Perth's Great Eastern Hwy light industrial Hwy strip which runs from Guildford right through several nondescript suburbs heading into the city. They will not be far from the city, but that is a route mainly to the domestic airport and to parts east of the city on either side, the Swan River on one side and the above mentioned suburbs behind those massive and massively ugly and (relatively cheap) suburbs just behind the highway. Mainly 2-3 story. A few "airport motels" (one story) ancient and shabby offerings.

What a joke. There will be no passing foot trade - how many people do you see walking along a highway (even only 2 lanes each way) on their way to a building?? Lots of huge farm equipment showcases along this strip... the kinds of things not normally well-frequented, e.g., boatyards.

What the move accomplishes is to remove the Scientology cult away from the public eye. Entirely. Where they've been for years on Murray Street in the city is heavily foot trafficked and they've been protested there many times, especially 2008 on, before just returning to a sleepy org across the street from the ever popular Miss Mauds bakery, restaurant, and hotel - a Perth icon. Perhaps they aim to capture the riverside suburb of Ascot, folks who redeveloped the river up to the racecourse. I don't know how they will manage to do that acrosss the natural barrier of the Highway.

In any case I'm happy to be PMd for further information - and to receive it. If I can, I would like to go on the night and think a few others may like to also.

Good stuff!!

5. tetloj

It will be great to catch up with you Kerry - an event Facebook page is being set in motion which can be used to invite people.

We have a 120 seat venue to fill!

I had the same reaction as you when the I first heard of the planning application went through....light industrial area, no foot traffic. There are some great op shops in the area, which might be good for those who have given all of their money to Scientology :coolwink:

You know I couldn't even picture the current Org, but of course know where Miss Maud's is.

Will PM you shortly

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  6. tetloj

If there are any Croweaters (i.e. South Australians) attending in Adelaide, could you please go to the Facebook event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/755709784556875/

As there are no reservations for Adelaide and Perth it will give organisers an indication of potential numbers

If you don't want to sign up at the event page you can always PM me and I will pass the info on

Perth Facebook page should be operational tomorrow!

:happydance:

7. tetloj

8. behindmycamel

behindmycamel Patron

They're going to set up shop right on the main drag?
    I suppose that means they'll be shutting down the city location altogether?

Hmmn. I commute through that area every day; know it well.

9. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

EVENT REPORT

The Sydney event was great. Spacious venue, good lighting, good sound. There were a nice assortment of craft beers at the bar and other things.

Lots of milling around and chatting with people. It was a late night :biggrin:

There was about 90 minutes of Steve Cannane chatting with Tony Ortega, mainly about the Miss Lovely book and the events chronicled, along with other insights and comments. The evening was then opened to questions and questioners came to microphones and everything was easily heard. The questions were informed and intelligent. Tony was so natural and relaxed and always got straight to the point of the abusive behaviours of this organisation. Steve really knew his stuff and had been to the Toronto Getting Clear conference earlier in the year. There was no beef with the scientology beliefs except for their cost and references to abusive practices in Hubbard's writings. Tony stayed back afterward for a booksigning which was kinda swamped :happydance:

Bryan Seymour was welcomed to the stage early up and even took a mic over to the attending OSA goon to ask whether there would be a knowledge report. Bryan shared some of his insights as the premiere Australian scientology journalist. Bryan is the only journalist to be specifically banned from any direct coverage access by scientology officials :giggle:

Mainly for truth-telling like this:
    [video=youtube;mr7N4nGe7pc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr7N4nGe7pc[/video]

10. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Oh! I am just green GreenN GREEEEN with jealousy! [​IMG]

You lucky guy! I mean really, Tony Ortega, Steve Cannane AND Bryan Seymour? I would have taken two days off work just cause I know I'd be too jazzed up to sleep after hearing all of them! What a great group. Really though, I'm so glad you were able to go and enjoyed it. Thank you for the summary.

How cool to have Steve and Bryan in the same room at the same time, too! They spent years competing against each other working for different television stations. Neat stuff. ExScientology brings the talented together, alright. :handinhand:

How absolutely hilariously Bryan to ask the OSA goon directly if he was going to KR their seminar. :hysterical: I love the way Steve and Bryan know enough about Scn admin procedures and criminal actions to tell hilarious, spot-on, cutting jokes about it but don't ever get deep into the auditing tek.

Great summary, Jump! I'm glad you made it there and I'm sure you got your own book signed, too, right?:yes: Good on ya!

11. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

You really missed a great night; have I rubbed it in enough? :biggrin:

And of course I got my book signed :thumbsup:

12. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

Truly was a fantastic night - would have liked to stay longer but Caz and I made our way home well after 12.:yes:

Lots of exes and a number of Sydanons there. Plus a Yarramalong contingent, turned into activists against the cult by the cult's own tactics trying to get a NarCONon established there. Plus a few sciloons quietly in the audience. One a former ED of Sydney Day org - there for the talk and book? I don't think so.:coolwink:

Was great to chat to so many folks from the "trenches" and would've stayed except I had to work today (just gotten home) and had already been up since 4am Friday morning for an early start to work yesterday. Ain't able to handle that as well as I did when I was younger.:old:

Bryan's ambush of Canberra OSA guy was such fun - the guy was a walking example of sciloon arrogance for all in the audience to see.:roflmao:

And yes, we got an autographed book too - funny that none of the culties hung around to get a copy.:confused2:

:hysterical:

13. tetloj

Are you coming to the Perth event on Friday 30th? Bringing a crowd ? :biggrin:

14. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Great to hear so many made it! I hadn't seen many of the Sydanons in a long time, how wonderful to hear you all got together.

And some people from Yarralong!!! Wonderful! Oh I just LOVE their integrity and activism defending their town from Narconon.

Yeh those late night parties can get awfully difficult with work the next day as we become middle aged. :puke2:

Love to you and your family, Scoots, and to all the exes, Anons, Yarralong folk and others in Australia who have been kicking cult ass. :grouphug:

15. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

Yeah - the FatMan was there :woohoo: - haven't seen him for ages. Sadly a few other Anons (like Racecar and Barbieanon) didn't make it for various reasons but it was still a great turnout.

Plus met a few Bunkeroos who'd made some HUGE miles to get there on Friday night. Enthralled Observer introduced herself to me afterwards plus a few others.:yes:

Been riding the high ever since.:biggrin:

Sure sucks to be OSA ANZO right now.:roflmao:

16. tetloj

Enthralled Observer did go above an beyond! She posted pix at today's Bunker article. (http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/24/fr...f-tax-exemption-to-scientology/#disqus_thread and sort to best)

I'm lined up to meet one Bunkeroo and one ESMBer in Perth already and I'm excited !

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  17. Barbie

Barbie Patron

Yes, it was sad to miss the opportunity to see you all, would have been good to catch up... maybe sometime soon?!?

But I realised that the Adelaide event is only 10 minutes outside the CBD so with a little luck I think I can actually make that one!

I would feel much better to have some company, so if anyone from Adelaide who is going could PM me it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Barbie

18. tetloj

I know of one person who reads the Underground bunker (non-ex) if you are interested in exchanging details