ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

~thoughts~

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by owl, Feb 23, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. owl

owl Patron with Honors

It's funny how Scientology is supposed to be the great grandchild of Buddhism or something, and they all think L Ron was Buddha, but Scientology is so different from Buddhism. There is so much paranoia, judgement, coldness with Scientology, and Buddhism seems like it's about love, peace, serenity, acceptance, kindness, etc. so yeah, I find that funny.

All signs always end up pointing to Buddhism for me. It's hard because there is a lot of Scientology I do agree with so I think "well maybe it is right.." but maybe there is stuff that's right and stuff that's wrong with Scientology. Maybe L Ron was onto a lot of stuff and also on the wrong path about a lot of stuff. It doesn't have to be black and white, I think.

For example, I'm against psychiatry and I feel it does more damage than good, so I agree with Scientology on that.

Anyway, something else I wanted to mention was that I'm tired of recieving 3 calls a day, every single day, for the past year and a half. I haven't answered in months and still they call. I stopped answering because I was just being kept on the phone for an hour, two hours, sometimes three, with them trying to persuade me to buy a 3500 dollar package of books and lectures, when I'm very young and have no money. There's no way I could pay for it and they would try and push me into getting a credit card. They would try and 3-way call a credit card company and get me to sign up, or for me to borrow money from someone. I don't have an extra 50 bucks, how am I supposed to have an extra 3 grand? So I stopped answering the phone. I'm a nice person and I treat people with respect, give them their space, and everything, but what do you do when someone doesn't do the same for you? It's difficult because you just count on people being as nice and respectful as you are and when they aren't, what do you do? I don't want to be a jerk, I don't want to hang up on someone. I say over and over I don't have the money but they don't get that. I feel like they maybe were taking advantage of my niceness.

Anyway I'm just posting this in case this connects with someone else and they want to say something back because it'd make me feel cool to know someone else feels the same way or is in the same position.

I don't understand the way the church operates at all. I dont understand why they push and push and push because a lot of times it pushes people away. I don't know why they can't relax and be friendlier. I don't know why they accept this Xenu stuff and alien stories just because L Ron says it. Does anyone actually remember that Xenu stuff for real, on their own, not because L Ron said it happened?

Please don't Fair Game me :( :( Im just being honest :( Freedom of speech.. and I'm nice :(

2. Alan

Alan Gold Meritorious Patron

To stop the phone calls - just answer - "XENU - can I help you?" :)

If they persist - just say - "tell me about XENU?"

3. owl

owl Patron with Honors

noooo that's mean :(

4. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

Your thoughts are very well expressed, Owl.

I remember all that pushing they used to do to me, too. I was nice when I started out. I wanted others to be my friend.

So I went along with it. And boy did it make them happy!

But then I found out that I was working for other people's interests and leaving my own in the dirt. So when I started to stick up for my own interests, they got mad to put me back in my place.

So then I decided to get mad back, and to be more of an asshole than they could be, just to fight for my own rights and interests.

When you have a problem like that in your environment, and the solution you've developed for it gets practiced over and over, the solution becomes part of your general personality.

So when you started out being nice and just wanting to love and be loved by everybody, you soon become an asshole, not caring if anybody likes you or not - so long as you get your way.

Scientology creates a very corrupting environment for a person. It creates vicious, ruthless people who think love and compassion is just "human emotion and reaction"

Stay away from it any way you can.

Preserve and defend the personality that *you* want to create.

5. owl

owl Patron with Honors

thanks!!

6. Zander

Zander Patron with Honors

I know exactly what you mean owl. They will just not get off the phone! And they will not respond to politely telling them you need to go now. I've had phone calls like that too and they drove me berserk.

One in particular was from an IAS fsm whom I had known (and even liked) previously. She was trying to get me to go to an IAS event - yes we know what that means: huge demand for money. She kept me on the phone for ages. In the end, I was so pissed off with her I would have nothing whatsoever to do with her ever again.

You are quite correct, their 'hard sell' techniques only serve to aggravate people. In fact I have read that quite a few ex's joined this board after 'hard sell' attempts by scn after a long time away.

The basics release brought things to a whole new level of hassle. I got visited a few times. Then they debited my account for the basics without my approval which was corrected before sending them to me. However, I'd to already been tagged on their computer system as a basics buyer so they subsequently left me alone.

In my case the phone calls were solved when I moved house and changed my phone number so I never found out how to stop the calls.

7. ScudMuffin

ScudMuffin Silver Meritorious Patron

I've said it before I'll say it again, get the number on redirect and send all calls to a sex line.

8. owl

owl Patron with Honors

omg how could they debit your account?? they had your credit card info?? have u changed it??

9. SchwimmelPuckel

SchwimmelPuckel Genuine Meatball

Fear of insanity! Fear of losing your mind..

That's what I think lies behind, at least my own, apprehension about psychiatry. I had that before I encountered Scn.. (Got that from observing some people in my environment who went off their rocker.)

Fact is that we, the human race, does not know what the hell to do about the insane... Yet!

Psychiatry and psychology is our race's efforts to find out. The research is handled in much the same way a any scientific research. Lots of savvy people contributing with experiments and results.

And 'scientific' thinking is applied. In priciple no theory is considered valid before extensive tests and practice has been seen.. At which point the 'knowledge' might be considered empirical.

This as opposed to CofS where Hubbards pontifications are considered the last word!

Hmm.. And Psychiatry and psychology have this strange notion that most of us are 'normal' and don't need to be meddeled with.

This as opposed to Scientology where every single one of us are considered nuts and in need of correction.

Fear of insanity! Fear of losing your mind.. That's the primary 'ruin' that Scientology sells..

:yes:

10. Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily Gold Meritorious Patron

I have never answered them (caller ID is a wonderful thing), and mine have finally slowed down. I don't think I got any yesterday or the day before. In fact maybe all week! The last call I got was an invitation to an event (they say we'll get information that's going to boom Scientology -- just fyi). :no:

So if you just keep ignoring. . . .

-TL

11. Zander

It was actually money sitting in my account at the org which I had paid in some time ago for a course which I had never done. They had asked me if I would use this for the basics and I had clearly said 'No', which somehow got misinterpreted as 'Yes'!

Some people have had their scn accounts debited and the basics sent to them without even being asked!

Some people have been sent the basics for free and then been asked to pay money in so the basics could be sent to someone else!

I myself was sent the congresses for free - I've no idea how they accounted for it. They told me it was not from my account but I've got no answer as to how it was actually paid for.

12. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

They'll probably use that free Congress situation against you as "out-exchange". It'll end up on your list of "crimes and high crimes" on your SP declare:

"Zander stole a set of New Congress lectures"

But at least you'll have an SP declare to frame and hang on your wall!:thumbsup:

13. Zander

Yeah, you're probably right. Cool. :coolwink:

14. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

I've given up all hope for my own SP Declare.

I have now devoted my life to helping others get theirs.

15. Happy Aberree

Happy Aberree Patron with Honors

Owl, you've made a very good point and you're not alone.

The call-inners rely on a person having social graces and good manners in order for them to do their phone-regging. What Alan said about 'turning into an asshole' becomes effective because your own manners are not being respected, and so you have to 'get tough' in order to get any kind of result.

There are church policies on how to treat people, namely the 'Manners' PL. Staff are supposed to know it but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

For an organisation teaching communication, it's amazing that so many of it's staff cannot duplicate.

HAB

16. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

They can and are duplicating. You simply aren't the person that they are following the directions of. You ask to end the call, or to get off a mailing list, and that's not what they want to do. They certainly duplicate what YOU want, but they just don't CARE.

17. owl

owl Patron with Honors

Oh, lucky. I was offered the Congresses for free but I was too late in getting back to them so I missed it. I think it was probably a donation, how you got it. Did u ever listen to them???
    I downloaded some lectures that were online and they made no sense to me at all lol. I have no idea how people can understand what he's talking about. Maybe I'm dumb :(

18. Human Again

Human Again Silver Meritorious Patron

If they'd call me, I'd have a nice long talk and see if I could "reg" them to leave Scientology. :yes: I was a pretty good reg in my day.

19. owl

owl Patron with Honors

aw :( if someones happy there, why not let them do their own thing?? just like youre happy being out of scientology and everything.

20. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

OK, but we do our best to apply "the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics" here so it's a no-brainer, get out of CofS... NOW! :)