ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

To Celebrate All This Media Attention

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Björkist, Feb 13, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. Björkist

Björkist Silver Meritorious Patron

Excerpted from HCO POLICY LETTER OF 14 AUGUST 1963

"The rules of newspaper writing today are very exact. And this is probably a far better analysis of the rules than he [the reporter] has, so you could surely win.

To be printed, a story must contain one or more of these things:

1. HARM (Blood, violence, damage, death, scandal)

2. SEX

3. MONEY

4. BIG NAMES

5. The story must be written to INVALIDATE something.

6. The story must contain a CONTROVERSY.

7. A story must contain TWO OPPOSING FORCES. Dialectic Materialism is the basic philosophy used by the society at this time. This philosophy is crudely stated in the following statement: 'It takes two opposing forces to produce an idea.'

Therefore a great story to a newspaperman contains nearly all of 1 to 4 above and 5, 6 and 7.

This is the formula on which modern newspapers operate. They don't publish any other kind of 'news story'.

You could be elected Queen of the May and the headline would be 'Controversy Rips Queen Election. Sexual bias Hinted.'

If you inherited a billion happily from an uncle who loved you, and were all set to help the millions with it, the news story would be 'Foul Play Hinted in Uncle's Death. Rights of Heir Challenged. Sex Life Probed.'

And that's the is-ness of the entheta called news." - L. Ron Hubbard

If you haven't read the entire document, you should.

If nothing else, it's an interesting read.

2. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

The main part missing with the Anon vs CofS protests is the SEX.

Paul

3. Curiosity

Curiosity Patron with Honors

I missed the sex, too! :ohmy:

It was my first-ever protest, though. Perhaps I'll get better at it with practice. :gimmesome:

4. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

I was kinda serious. If Anonymous put more SEX into the protest, like scantily-clad babes holding protest signs, there would be more media exposure.

I know it's winter, but sometimes one must make sacrifices for the cause. :)

Paul

5. Nona

Nona Patron

There IS gas mask girl, who's become a meme thanks to the australian newspapers. They took a picture of her.

[​IMG]
    "I, for one, welcome our new Hello Kitty gas mask overlords"

6. Div6

Div6 Crusader

Gas mask girl is a BABE. I'd get gassed with her ANY time.....:D

7. Kerry

Kerry Patron with Honors

Ahem. Nope.

Let hell freeze over on that kinda serious.

On the other hand, aw well, I guess I could change my mind if the guys wear just their Speedos or Bonds or Calvins (no boxers allowed).

Yeah okay - briefly - I'm in. It's Summer here, too, so more comfy all 'round.

[Seriously, please ignore this silly desperate prurience from the males' members in this thread. It's the dry season over where they live.

:giggle: ]

8. lrnobs

lrnobs Patron with Honors

He wrote a lot of other nonsense as well, convinced of his own truth.

9. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

L Ron Hoover was just trying to pre-define and pre-discredit the news for you, Bjorky, so that every time you looked at a newspaper you would look away.

It was all part of his pre-discredit tech that kept you from thinking about things he didn't want you to think about.

I can remember the time I had recently left the cult, and I was in my new boss's office at the new ad agency where I had just been hired. There was a New York Times on his desk.

I looked at it and sneered. He caught the sneer and asked, "What's wrong with the New York Times?"

That's when I spotted it. I had been brainwashed into believing that all newspapers lie, blah blah blah.

And poof!

It was gone.

I can read a newspaper and use critical thinking skills now, and still allow the important information that they are trying to convey get through.

But you already knew that, didn't you, Bjorkist.

You're not brainwashed at all.

Right?

10. Björkist

Interesting...I never read the newspaper or bothered with "the news" before my study of Scientology.

On a sheet of paper write "positive" "negative" and "neutral" at the top then watch "the news" for a day. Put a check mark where each story falls.

Then ask yourself, do I even need this information?

Or is there some agenda to "lower the wavelength" of readers/viewers?

IMO, there is. I think that those who own and control "this place", etc. have data which "the average joe" doesn't have and that the technology it is used to modify behavior.

Part of that is knowledge of wavelengths, the physical universe and our relationship to it.

Did you ever watch "Century of the Self"? Parts 1-4 are on Google Video and it seems something you would be interested in. I posted links to it awhile back. Also, have you ever heard of HAARP?

I think the answer to your "But you're not brainwashed. Right?" question would depend on who you asked. The same applies if asked about you or anyone else..

My personal opinion is that if we are here, stuck on this MEST wavelength, we have been "brainwashed" to use your term. And this media stuff is like brainwashing inside of brainwashing...following the fractal pattern of things.

Ultimately, if someone is "brainwashed" (in the way you used the term), they have been so affected by themselves.

You know, that ultimate responsibility thing you and I disagree on.

Especially when it comes to non-invasive procedures.

But I also see that these things are learning experiences on our path of either waking up or falling into deeper sleep.

11. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

IGNORANCE = STRENGTH -1984

Zinj

12. Björkist

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

13. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

'Don't read newspapers! Don't watch news! They'll brainwash you!' is your 'truth'?

Zinj

14. Björkist

Did I say that or did YOU say that?