ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Tony Ortega book drops in May

Discussion in 'Movies, Plays, and Documentaries about Scientology' started by ILove2Lurk, Jan 10, 2015.

1. aegerprimo

aegerprimo Summa Cum Laude

2. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

Re: Tony Ortega's Paulette Cooper book

Looking forward to that thread. I know people here love Alan, and I respect that. That does not mean that people cannot criticize ideas -ideas which he used in his "spiritual/mental" procedures. Udarnik got jumped on just because he dared to criticize someone others here happen to like a lot. Not good.

Also, on the subject of Sara, Urdarnik was only asking questions on the basis of his information so far. It was a very enquiring sort of question. He was not trying to push anything. So, Veda, I don't see how that is offensive.

3. Veda

Veda Sponsor

It was a profanity laced invitation to "dig up dirt" on a good person. Not my cup of tea.

4. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

"You will still be able to find parking, I promise" (2:59)

[video=youtube;2R-4_u61TWo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R-4_u61TWo[/video]

5. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

The whole world and their Spiritual views are anyone's business who wishes to make it so here. You have posted the brain washing Manual 5000 + times as a case in point.

Your attempts to moderate the net are pointless
    and makes you look stupider than you are.

I find Udarniks language and commentary refreshing. He mostly
    has the opposite opinion of matters to myself. You for years have
    been giving me wrong indications that I indulge in PR when I give my opinions. You know wrong indications can be psychically very disturbing.
    You are better than OSA how?

You need to step out of the box you are in sometimes.

I noted from Just Shiela that Udarnik has given much help back
    channel. I had no idea. I have sought his advice on a few occasions
    in his area's of expertise including that of psyche drugs. He freely
    gave it in excellent detail. He is a great asset to this forum.

I have no problem that he finds Dn and Scn ridiculous and
    worthless. Almost all criticism of these I agree with. Yet I have
    had great gains with these as have many I know. They can work and can produce results bordering on the miraculous.

Talk therapy is often recomended by critics. Thats all Scn & DN is.
    This will be more improved someday and much learned.

6. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

You know this before dirt is dug?

What you mean is you object to someone you consider an ally
    having dirt dug up.

You specialize in digging up and posting dirt.

Saying others cant do the same is hypocrisy.

7. Veda

Veda Sponsor

I'm concerned with bad people not good people. I'm sorry you can't tell the difference.

8. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

Udarnik cannot know who is a good person, or not, in your estimation.
    "Digging up dirt" well, yes, but it was a question which allowed any "dirt" to be corrected as untrue, unfair, unbalanced, irrelevant, out of context, outdated, etc. We all dig up dirt around here (well most of us). It is also what Tony does as a Journalist and what anyone interested in history does.
    "Profanity laced" is stretching it for one, 2 word, hyphenated term.

9. Veda

Veda Sponsor

:) One can imagine what the retorts by Scientology PRs will be.

[​IMG]
    "Minister of the Church of Scientology Ken Hoden assures us that what a few overzealous, and confused, persons did forty years ago does not reflect the Humanitarian and spiritual views expressed in the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of the Scientology religion."

10. Lone Star

Lone Star Crusader

Profanity laced. Hmmmmmm..... I see the word "crap" and the word "shit". Each used just one time. Hardly laced with profanity. Some don't even consider either of those words to be profanity, especially in the context in which he used them.

11. Veda

Veda Sponsor

The post was directed at Tony, and he can answer it if he wishes. I'm done with the matter.

12. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

You might have a point there, but speaking for myself, getting my head so stuck up the arse of what Scientology PRs might think about what I am wondering what to think about something which somebody else thinks and wants to see what T Ortega thinks......................Please excuse profanity.

Life is difficult enough. What if on my deathbed I found out that Scientology Pr did not care about anything I thought, or was going to think. Such a waste of my precious thoughts.

13. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Sounds icky. :biggrin:

None of us have seen the content of the book, but it might not be a bad idea to review the possible, or likely, Scientology responses, and to be prepared to hit them with well documented counter responses.

Scientologists are not known for their imaginations so they'll likely follow the old patterns.

An important point, as I mentioned before, is that this was not an oddity; it was a standard application of Scientology's applied philosophy, which happens to be overt (visible) and covert (behind the scenes).

14. oneonewasaracecar

oneonewasaracecar Gold Meritorious Patron

Quoted for truth and enlarged for emphasis.

15. Sassy

Sassy Patron Meritorious

I say if they want to be called a "church", let's give that to them, haha. This book, simply by being truthful, is going to knock the socks off anyone who isn't familiar with Paulette's story. I would bet that anyone who has read ANYTHING about the cult and/or about this book will take that label with a HUGE grain of salt. I think they're probably the only ones (the "parishoners") who would classify them as a "church". Tony seems to have been respectful and quite generous with his use of that word :biggrin::biggrin: I myself wouldn't have been so PC or nice :angry::coolwink:

16. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

What does "it" refer to, in the highlighted bit? Urdanik's post?

17. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Enough with Urdanik's post!

"It" refers to what was done to Paulette Cooper.

18. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

Yes, good! Thank's for clarifying!

19. The_Fixer

The_Fixer Class Clown

If I remember correctly, Scientologists always had their standard responses and deviating from them was pretty much frowned upon.

I guess it's not so much a lack of imagination, but the lack of being allowed to be creative?

20. Lone Star

Lone Star Crusader

Oh you two are just delightful tonight!! :yes:

I just wanna give you both a big hug and pinch your cheeks!!

:bighug:

Okay....better run!

:runaway::hide: