ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Tony Ortega book drops in May

Discussion in 'Movies, Plays, and Documentaries about Scientology' started by ILove2Lurk, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Excellent!

[​IMG]

2. Free Being Me

Free Being Me Crusader

3. PowerIsAssumed

PowerIsAssumed Teegeeack Liberator

I just listened to Tony's interview with Allison Hope Weiner, now I am really excited to see what information he has uncovered that was not known about before hand.

4. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

From Tony's blog this morning:

5. Smurf

Smurf Gold Meritorious SP

James (CFI) & Tony O appear in the first video starting at 6:58. I cannot find the 2nd part of this series.

[video=youtube;zb39htpY6dU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb39htpY6dU[/video]

[video=youtube;se82D8cqhgk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se82D8cqhgk[/video]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0672539

6. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Pilot TV News: Scientology: Cult’s dark secrets go mainstream

http://pilottvnews.com/2015/03/scientology-cults-dark-secrets-go-mainstream/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

The second major blow comes in the form of a new book by Tony Ortega, which documents the extreme lengths the Church has gone to in order to discredit journalist Paulette Cooper. The Unbreakable Miss Lovely: How the Church of Scientology tried to destroy Paulette Cooper, details the ability of the church to infiltrate government organizations and the personal lives of its critics. Perhaps one of the most outrageous examples being when the church framed Cooper as a suspect in two alleged bomb threats, which resulted in her indictment in 1973 and near inprisonment.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

7. Churchill

Churchill Gold Meritorious Patron

I have no idea how I could've missed this fabulous thread, (I must've been in my cryogenic chamber)

but now, having properly thawed...​WOW!

8. Gizmo

Gizmo Rabble Rouser

Tony Ortega book drops in May

.... wonder if DM has already ordered hisself a copy ?

Nothing more wonderful than yet another wooden stake right into the heart of scn !

Da midget has to be going berserk.

Keep 'em coming !

9. CommunicatorIC

http://tonyortega.org/2015/04/19/an...video-and-an-underground-bunker-announcement/

Announcing ‘The Unbreakable Miss Lovely’ tour, including the Jamie DeWolf hijack!

[​IMG]

In order to promote the May publication of The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, our book about legendary journalist Paulette Cooper, your proprietor and Paulette will be heading to California for a weeklong tour of appearances next month.

We’ll be kicking things off on Saturday, May 16 at the Santa Barbara Humanist Society. The next day, on May 17, James Underdown at the Center for Inquiry West in Los Angeles will introduce us at the Steve Allen Theater in Hollywood at 11 am. In the afternoon, we’ll be at the Costa Mesa Community Center as Center for Inquiry Orange County hosts us for its “Feed Your Brain” series at 4:30 pm.

On Friday night, May 22, our tour will be hijacked by Jamie DeWolf, the great-grandson of L. Ron Hubbard, a Bay Area performance artist and frequent subject of the Underground Bunker. The venue is Chez Poulet (The SF Institute of Possibility) at 3359 Cesar Chavez, San Francisco with festivities beginning at 7 pm.

Jamie is a well known local performance artist who puts on some wild extravaganzas. For us, he’s putting on a special macabre evening that should be a pretty singular SF experience. Here’s his description of it…

THE HOLY SH*T SHOW!

For one night only, the award-winning variety show “Tourettes Without Regrets,” winner of “Best of the Bay” several years running, turns its irreverent eye towards the world of cults and puts Scientology in its center bulls-eye. Hosted by Jamie DeWolf, the comic vaudevillian and great grandson of L. Ron Hubbard himself, the show features an array of cult-related burlesque, stand up comedy, slam poetry, circus arts and audience interactive mayhem where one side of the audience battles the other for comic ‘salvation’ in a series of increasingly deranged contests.

The show features an opening hard-hitting discussion with award-winning journalist Tony Ortega — featured in HBO’s Going Clear — and legendary journalist Paulette Cooper, who wrote one of the first exposes on Scientology in the 1970’s and was subsequently subjected to one of the most brutal wars enacted by the cult, including being framed for bomb threats to the “church.” Prepare for a night of jaw-dropping revelations and boundary-pushing expression that revolves around the absurdity of belief and the danger of the zealot.

Hey, that sounds like a diverting evening. We hope you can join us.

We’re still nailing down a date and location in San Diego for Wednesday, May 20, and we have other dates and times open for other appearances, so please let us know if you’d like to see Paulette Cooper and Tony Ortega talking about Scientology while we’re in the Golden State.

[​IMG]

10. Paulette Cooper

Paulette Cooper New Member

I doubt that it will be in (m)any American libraries... and if it is, the Scientologists will probably steal it as they did "The Scandal of Scientology."
    Years ago, the New York Public Library ordered 50 copies of my book -- and they were all stolen within a couple of hours. (Wonder who did that?)
    Years later, I became friendly with the guy who was ordered to steal every copy of my book from libraries in Michigan. (He's now a lawyer -- hot fitting.)

11. In present time

In present time Gold Meritorious Patron

The title and cover are perfect!

12. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

Your book had a way of ending up in funny places - every org has a library of books by LRH and in some cases, like ASHO, which also has all of the books by other authors Hubbaard mentioned in his taped lectures. Back in the 70's your book was in the New York Org's LRH library, amidst a bunch or other obscure books, like the one by Reg Sharpe, Ruth Minchel's books, the Brainwashing book ( which was still on sale in the bookstore, ) etc.

Mimsey

13. MrNobody

MrNobody Who needs merits?

As bad as it was/is for yourself and for the library (libraries are always on a too tight budget), it at least confirms that your book contains information some criminal people find worth to steal/suppress.

For whatever that conclusion is good for. :unsure:

14. CommunicatorIC

West of the Rockies Radio: Tony Ortega talks Scientology and his new book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely

http://www.wotrradio.com/blog/2015/7/1/tony-ortega-talks-scientology-to-wotr

Tony Ortega is the go-to guy when it comes to anything Scientology: if you’ve got questions, he probably has the answers. Reporting about Scientology since 1995, he’s pretty much not been out of the loop since – he currently runs The Underground Bunker, a blog that monitors breaking developments in the international world of Scientology.

This past May saw the release of Mr. Ortega’s book, “The Unbreakable Miss Lovely,” documenting the story of how Paulette Cooper was harassed by Scientology. Cooper famously wrote, The Scandal of Scientology (1971), following which she experienced years of atrocious torment and harassment by Scientology – at one point, she was even facing 15 years of imprisonment, as well as verging on the brink of suicide. In fact, the Church of Scientology officially launched Operation Freakout in 1997 against Cooper, of which the explicit aim was, "To get P.C. incarcerated in a mental institution or jail, or at least to hit her so hard that she drops her attacks.” Her story is a terrifying one, though definitely not in vain. Now, for the first time, her story can be read in full, thanks to Tony Ortega.

We were lucky enough to catch Ortega for an interview this past Sunday and, needless to say, it was informative and engrossing – though admittedly a type of morbid fascination, it’s a subject that’s nevertheless fascinating, and with Ortega’s encyclopaedic knowledge of Scientology, we were certainly kept on our toes. We talked all kinds of things, including Sea Org; Scientology’s stance on psychiatry; their dwindling numbers (despite their claims of growth); the inhumane treatment of their own members; and of course their personal attacks, both within (most notably on those that try to leave, e.g. Miscavige’s own father) and outside of the organisation (Paulette Cooper, for starters). What’s more important, though, is that people become aware of Scientology and its murky history, and it’s people like Cooper and Ortega that help to spread that information, so cheers to that.

Direct link to 95 minute audio clip.

https://www.mixcloud.com/westoftherockies/west-of-the-rockies-with-special-guest-tony-ortega/

15. CommunicatorIC

16. CommunicatorIC

From Tony's blog. I always enjoy these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. CommunicatorIC

The Unbreakable Miss Lovely is now a Scientology Class VI Auditor.

[​IMG]

The Unbreakable Miss Lovely at the Church of Scientology of Auckland.

[​IMG]

18. CommunicatorIC

19. randomx

randomx Patron with Honors

Just finished reading "The unbreakable Miss Lovely."
    Thoroughly recommend it.

Nothing says "Scientology is paranoid and dangerous" like the facts.

It would make a great movie.
    It`s just a shame that good stories have been replaced by explosions, in movie making today.

If you are a thinking person, who longs to go for an amazing ride with a heroine you actually sympathize with...
    against a truly criminally insane villain...
    this is the book for you.

Excellent book Tony.
    And thanks to Paulette for surviving this unbelievable ordeal, so that the story could be told.