ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Tony Ortega, "Freedom" Mag.

Discussion in 'Tony Ortega' started by Stat, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Stat

Stat Gold Meritorious Patron

Since Scientology's "Freedom" Mag peeps got tired writing about big pharma, psychs, nazis, bankers, Interpol and terrorists a while back,
    they also stopped pretending that they can do anything about their imaginary enemies and simply started attacking people who actually dare
    to critique them for all the fraud, abuses and general lies. People like Marty and other Independents, people like Paul Haggis and Lawrence Wright.

And now, apparently, they will dedicate an issue to Tony Ortega and some of his commenters, as I predict. Because, it' the next logical step in their
    "never defend, always attack", little, perfect LRH universe.

"This Is What a Scientology Investigative Reporter Does: Investigate People Who Report on Scientology"
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/03/what-scientology-investigative-reporter-does/62686/
    Brilliant article, really. Check it out, please.

From WWP:
    https://whyweprotest.net/community/...about-tony-ortega-for-the-freedom-mag.109305/

I wonder what the derogatory cartoon cover is going to look like and what kind of dirt they will use to dead agent the above critics this time.

We shall see. The foot bullets galore.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. Stat

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  3. Teanntás

Teanntás Silver Meritorious Patron

"And now, apparently, they will dedicate an issue to Tony Ortega"

My first reaction was, no they won't, they couldn't be THAT stupid, and they prove once again they can :biggrin:

4. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

Well, since they're not really clearing the planet or salvaging mankind, they have a lot of time on their hands.

5. Gadfly

Gadfly Crusader

They're not!!!!????? :nervous: :omg:

6. Gadfly

Gadfly Crusader

Oopps, wrong thread.

DELETE

7. 10oriocookies

10oriocookies Patron with Honors

8. Stat

You really nailed it! :roflmao: Some church/religion.

9. MissWog

MissWog Silver Meritorious Patron

If any person on the street that feels "ahh, well ya know all religion is a scam" read that trash rag Freedom, it would change people's minds all by itself.

That thing is so awful! So over the top! I really don't know how anyo e reads it and doesn't see through and question their involvement... Freedom Rag just proves how mind bending and brain washed these folks are. It's is really ridiculous!

My hope is stories will be written about the Tony issue and excerpts will be printed..foot bullet! Mass fuckin' foot bullet!

10. 10oriocookies

The can say what they want about Tony and whoever else. Fact is they are doing it because people like Tony find out or know the TRUTH and are not AFRAID to say it. The "church" is just mad because they cant bully him into submission or silence. When they run these articles, it makes them look that much more crazy. I say keep writing....

11. Gadfly

Gadfly Crusader

The absolute best thing to destroy Scientology with is to clearly keep explaining WHAT they do and HOW they do it. Most people think it is entirely wrong for a "church" to send out private investigators to harass critics, and to try to dig up dirt with which to blackmail or destroy reputations with. As journalists continue to bring these usual and routine despicable Scientology tactics to light, the worse for the Church of Scientology.

The avalanche of FACTS about Scientology is now out there, and the body of facts will only grow larger with time. Every time they again apply "standard LRH policy" to destroy some critic, it just makes them look all that more disgusting. And, fewer and fewer people pay any attention to their endless lies and PR.

I always wondered who the public was that Freedom Mag is aimed at. When they release these long, glossy smear campaigns against some legitimate reporter, who actually reads such bogus nonsense and takes any of it seriously. They are a TOTAL JOKE. People LAUGH at them, and the laughing is getting louder.

I found this on a link above. It is relevant. This is a quote from a Freedom Mag. It talks about why lying is wrong and bad. As I have been discussing on the "Good Things in Scientology" thread, there ARE many "good ideas" in Scientology. When you read this below, if you didn't know that it was written by the Church of Scientology, you would probably largely agree with what is written. So, what's the problem?

It is disingenuous Public Relations nonsense, and attempts to distract and deceive. Simply, the Church of Scientology (and Hubbard before in his writings and actions) violate the ideas on a continual basis. As is so common in Scientology, good and decent ideas are bandied about, but far too often, these ideas are contradicted elsewhere by other exact "standard" policies and orders, and by incessant "standard" Scientology behaviors.

Scientology is a textbook study in "the pot calling the kettle black".

Damn, Scientology has a long history of drilling its own staff and public to LIE to the authorities! Hubbard even wrote a "training routine" for this: TR-Lying (TR-L). It trains a person to easily be there, comfortably, without flinching, while LYING through his or her teeth!

Quote From Feedom Mag:

"As is well known, liars are cowards and cowards are liars. In fact, it’s a specific part of the Scientology Scripture as contained in its ethics and justice codes. So it is that while lying is despised in society as a whole, it’s actually considered criminal within the religion of Scientology.

However, there is a type of lie that is considered criminal by everybody, because it represents conduct that tears at the very fabric of justice and civilized society.

By definition, a lie is “a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive.” When one lies, it has consequences. When one is known to be a liar, one soon finds himself shunned by friends and associates.

But perjury is much more serious. It means “the willful giving of false testimony under oath.” It’s a criminal offense. And when one is caught committing perjury, one goes to jail. In fact the penalty is intentionally harsh so as to serve as a deterrent for those who may not possess the moral integrity to be honest or truthful. Those convicted of perjury serve up to five years in prison doing hard time.

But actually, there is an even worse type of criminal liar. That’s the person who not only tells untruths to law enforcement and the courts, but also gets others to do so as well. It’s called suborning perjury and it means “to induce a witness to give false testimony.”

People who are suborners of perjury are much rarer than the cowardly liar or criminal perjurer. That’s because it takes a great deal of persuasion to get another to lie to authorities. One typically hears of this sort of crime—suborning perjury—perpetrated by thugs, since it’s always an attempt to get others to lie to protect the real criminal. That’s why it also carries a sentence of five years in jail.

All of which begs the question: Is there any greater form of dishonesty? Actually, there is. It’s called obstruction of justice, which means “an attempt to interfere with the administration of the courts, the judicial system or law enforcement officers, including threatening witnesses, hiding or destroying evidence.”

Here is the person who not only intimidates others to lie, but who looks at evidence of the truth and, as if out of an old gangster movie, tells his posse to “lose ‘em”—that is, get rid of it. Of course, this too is a crime, yet another five years in jail, but by now what does it matter to the criminal who has long since passed the point of any self-respect and considers laws are written for “suckers.” Meaning, honest people.

More to the point here: A person who would commit perjury, who would suborn perjury and who would obstruct justice is a person with the ethics of a gutter rat—a person who could tell a lie with a straight face to his “friends” and feel no remorse “unless I was caught,” a person who could see others being falsely accused of what he had done and keep silent while “lots of people go down and remain in turmoil while I go unrecognized as the source of it and survive.”

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  12. 10oriocookies

Gadfly. Great minds apparently think alike. Follow the link on my earlier post on this thread.

13. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Gold Meritorious Patron

Another ton of stupid comign out of the patoose of the writers of Freedom Mag who we might as well say is the CoS.

They are referring to Lisa Mcpherson as a psychotic.

Stupid stupid stupid.

They lose either way.

1. She became psychotic while at Flag. Yeah how did that happen?

2. She was psychotic all along. Yeah how was that missed in all fo those A-Js especially at Flag

Everytime they squat stupid finds a way out of the backside.

Rd00

14. Loohan

Loohan Am I Mettaya?

Freedom Mag was actually pretty good, i thought, back around '79 when i first got into Scn. I think sincere people were involved.
    A lot of it was about ACHG, American Citizens for Honesty in Government, headed by Artie Maren. I could totally relate to this sort of activism. In fact i was recruited into ACHG in Austin in '79, especially as i was told (BIG LIE) that i would get the Purif if i signed the contract. Actually, ACHG staff were not eligible for free services, although theoretically it was marginally possible that if i racked up years of truly stellar performance stats, i might have gotten a CSW approved to get the purif.

Nonetheless, being such a good guy, :duh: i stuck with it until a few years later ACHG was dissolved.

I used to always enjoy Freedom Mag back then. It was not about "squirrels" but actual US gov't crime back then.

15. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Before:

[​IMG]

Artie Marin and the "American Citizens for Honesty in Government." Pretty sure that was a front group started after the July 1977 FBI raids.

Whatever became of Artie Marin?

Anyway, do you have access to any Freedom Mag issues from the late 1960s and early and latter 1970s? Your opinion might change if you could see a collection of them.

I agree that there were sincere people involved. And there still are sincere people involved in the CofS, believe it or not.

There was a phase when Robert Vaughn Young did some investigative work on some topics and wrote some interesting things but, mostly, the content was propagandistic oobleck.

___________​

Some background:

From a CofS press release of a while back: "For more than four decades, the Church has worked to make the Universal Declaration of Human Rights broadly known... The Declaration first appeared in the first edition of Freedom Magazine, the Church's human rights journal, in 1968..."

How true, and it was per these instructions from Ron's Journal '68:

"...And the general attack line is along the lines of human rights, human rights.

"Now I'll give you a clue now how this is handled, somebody comes up to you, he's a hostile person - he's hostile to Scientology and he says to you, he says 'na na na Scientology' and you say 'Why are you against human rights?' and, then, if you know anything about human rights like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, United Nations - that sort of thing, you know something about this subject, you just follow it right straight up, total attack, in other words you don't defend Scientology, you just simply attack along this line of human rights.

"Somebody else comes along, hostile, he says something to you about this, or he says something in the press or in a group or something like this, and something about treatment, or something in Scientology, and you should come back at him, 'Why are you in favor of psychiatric death camps? Why are you in favor of psychiatric brutality to human beings?', and just let him try to handle that ball. And use these two things.

"Now the hostile person and the hostile press line, for instance the newspaper writes an article on the subject of how bad Scientology is. Well, any Scientologist reading this should at once write the newspaper, 'Why are you in favor of psychiatric death camps? Why are you criticizing Scientology? Why are you in favor of psychiatric death camps?' And we will make some progress on this.

"Now actually what will happen, what will happen, really, is each time Scientology is attacked, we will build into society, if all of you do this, we'll build into society an actual stimulus-response mechanism, whereas an attack on Scientology is actually an attack on human rights, and a person making such an attack is in favor of psychiatric death camps. And if this is the way you handle this, and handle it consistently, even though you get bored with it and want something else to shoot them with, this will produce a fantastic effect..."

Shortly after this RJ '68 was released, the Citizens Commission on Human Rights was started, and 'Freedom' magazine was born.

Freedom newspaper, later magazine, was being used as a vehicle for the attack of Scientology's enemies since its inception, including its use, around 1981, to attack Gerry Armstrong and his then attorney Michael Flynn.

However, dedicating an entire issue to one person, as has occurred in recent times, is a change.

After:

[​IMG]

16. Adam7986

Adam7986 Declared SP

Oh boy, I cant wait to see all the out-of-context misquotes and false accusations in this issue. I hope I get quoted out of context.

17. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Here is the cult rag's website: http://www.freedommag.org/ [Cult link]

Check it out to see their latest issue. (I don't see a Tony Ortega one yet). The main copyright notice on the site's front page says 2011, so don't expect too much!

Paul

18. Loohan

Loohan Am I Mettaya?

I think Artie is now improving the conditions of the NOI with Scientology.

Yeah, there likely were some anti-squirrel articles back when i was "in", but they must not have been that many compared to real issues. Freedom Mag was something handed to strangers on the street.

Funny how Ron had these ideas about how "wogs" could be easily handled.

Anyway, Freedom Mag is one of the ways i initially got hooked into Scn. I don't recall seeing issues earlier than '79.