ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

UK's Sunday Times Magazine Cover Story - Tom Cruise and Going Clear

Discussion in 'Movies, Plays, and Documentaries about Scientology' started by ThetanExterior, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

Tom Cruise - Actor - Own Stunt Man - Big Being - Mimsey

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/Magazine/article1577508.ece

2. Churchill

Churchill Gold Meritorious Patron

If the film was titled ​Mission Impossible: Rogue Cult,
    I bet Helluvahoax could write one helluva Screenplay!

3. Thrak

Thrak Gold Meritorious Patron

4. prosecco

prosecco Patron Meritorious

The article didn't really report anything new. A rehash of much of the reports from, 'Going Clear,' but there was a really interesting comment from Jeetendr Sehdev, a professor at USC who I guess lectures about media pointed out, '

The relationship between celebrities and fans has changed entirely over the last decade. We would need to see him (Tom Cruise) talk candidly. God forbid, about his belief system and his entire life, and these questions people have, instead of just pretending they don't exist.When you underestimate the intelligence of the audience, you're going to have problems."

It's a brilliant observation. The arrogance of Tom and his sidekick David Miscavige have really got it wrong. Obviously they are applying the PR Series, but the point that the relationship between celebrities and fans has evolved from the 1950s when Hubbard wrote about PR is making them look weird. People expect discussion in an open forum as there are virtually no taboos left.

5. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

Nothing new to us here.

But introduced the data to a new audience. The Sunday Times is the largest selling
    serious sunday newspaper in the UK. [ 812, 262] True the Sun on sunday has 1,662, 163
    sales put strongly features pin up girls.

6. prosecco

prosecco Patron Meritorious

Thanks Terril, I'm in the UK too.

7. SonatheFixer

SonatheFixer Patron with Honors

We are showing our age now Lee. Man from U.N.C.L.E.? yikes, that was a looong time ago......But you are right, the Cold War event spawned a great many spy stories.

But it reminds me of my Dad when he came back from a business trip in Japan way back in 1972. Said he was in his hotel room, turned on his TV and lo and behold, a John Wayne movie!

The Japs were big on Westerns then apparently, but this one was dubbed in Japanese. Dad said he marvelled at the great JW speaking Japanese, but they gave him a high pitched squeaky voice!

The movie gave him great mirth for quite a while.

At least in the Lethal Weapon series with Mel Gibson and Danny Glover, they would say to each other that they were getting too old for this shit.

I wonder if we will eventually see TC kung fu-ing the Hells Angels dancing on his walking stick? That would be a comedy I would almost pay to see.