ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

VIDEO: The Secrets of Scientology

Discussion in 'Movies, Plays, and Documentaries about Scientology' started by TEoS, Sep 28, 2010.

1. HappyGirl

HappyGirl Gold Meritorious Patron

:wow: Thanks TeOS!

2. Sharone Stainforth

Sharone Stainforth Silver Meritorious Patron

I was so excited about seeing the Panorama show last night and thanks to Teos and Sponge on OCMB I was able to do so. I was very tired after an extremely long day and found myself severely disappointed.It came across as the Marty and Mike show, I am not exactly fans of these two.

I do have some sympathy with both of them, having been in for so long, I know how hard it must be to change ones way of thinking.I know this does not happen overnight, and I couldn't help but wonder where John Sweeney was going with this.

On reflection and a chat today with my youngest daughter, I started to see it slightly differently.You see I never even mentioned the Sweeney show to her, and yet she watched it anyway. She had half expected to see me in it, we laughed when i said "you did". I was so chuffed that she had finally taken an interest without me saying a word. She like me said, "it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know". No, maybe not, but it did tell an auful lot of other people that maybe didn't know. That in it'self is valuable, so many more people know to stay away from not only a crazy cult but a very dangerous one. That is valuable information to have if it comes from John Sweeney on Panorama, on the BBC.

Scientology propaganda can and will try and defame anyone who critisises it, you only have to look at Religious Freedom Watch, The Freedom magazine, L. Ron Hubbards written words and policies, LRHs written Hubbard Communication bullitens, the Affirmations of L. Ron Hubbard and if you listen to some of the lectures given by LRH on the ship in the 60s,as I did, first hand standing outside on duty as Commadores Messenger, never a scientologist, that he was a raving looney.

I'm still not quite sure what Marty Rathbun hoped to show by putting John Sweeney on the e-meter. Can the e-meter read your mind? NO! Can it make you tell the truth? Yes, if you think it can read your mind. If you know, all your options are gone, there is no place left to go and this is your last attempt at survival, then lie to the e-meter, if you know that is the only way you can break free, you do what you have to do. If that means telling lies in order to survive, then that is what you do.

Do you have any bad thoughts about L.Ron Hubbard? YES! Thank you, I know my needle is floating.

I will end with this little gem from secret lives. I don't care whether or not he was gay,he was a very sweet boy and he was my friend.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/news/watch/v2594168xxjhKgGZ

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/news/watch/v2594294gpYC8Kg

That his Father L. Ron Hubbard, chose to have his own son put on the RPF shows just what kind of a man L. Ron Hubbard was. I think it is incredible that anyone can still say the technology of L. Ron Hubbard still has some value. L. Ron Hubbard -Suppressive? Your damned right, he denied the rights, basic human rights of his own son.

3. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

The show was really outstanding!

Although some feel that it was "missing" important elements, I would agree with the EDITING which left the cutting room floor littered with certain damning information---like physical abuse/beating by Church leaders and the fraud of Clear/OT.

Because those types of things too easily becomes a he said/she said tug of war without clear resolution. The church can (and does) lie about such matters and uninformed viewers get misdirected into an unsolved "mystery" rather than brought to a few SIMPLE CONCLUSIONS about Scientology, like:

* They sound like scary people--sending black cars after critics and filming them.

* They sound like mean people--releasing personal information and secrets on former members.

* They sound like crazy people--even if they only believe a little bit of that Xenu-Alien story.

* They sound like brainwashed people--afraid to talk to their own spouse or family if the church orders them to disconnect.

* They sound like wacky people--signing billion year contracts for lives of slavery.

* (conclusion) They sound like dangerous cult people--that I don't ever want to myself, family or friends to ever become a victim of. ​
    And, as far as Sweeney personalizing the story, that was a smart bit of story-telling convention that makes the expose far more entertaining to watch, memorable and commercial. That means that instead of a small audience flipping channels to something more fun to watch, they got 5 MILLION viewers on first showing.

That is a rip-roaring, stat-crashing full frontal assault on Scientology.

And, talk about stats...Scientology's feeble, innuendo-laced pre-emptive strike video is only (barely) palatable and viewed by a small handful of cult-indoctrinees who have been trained to listen to crazy, non-sensical bullbaiting whilst not blinking. They are also trained to answer questions standardly.

WOG
    Hey what did you think of that Sweeney expose
    on your Church. Pretty devastating stuff, eh?

SCIENTOLOGIST
    What did I think? Nothing. Thinking is not part of my hat,
    per Ron's HCOPL "What I Expect of a Scientologist".

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  4. LongTimeGone

LongTimeGone Silver Meritorious Patron

Thank you Sharone. The loss of a genuine friend is sad, but the memories of those times can be empowering. Hubbard can never be forgiven for these atrocities and it is extremely difficult for me to have any sympathy for senior executives of the cult who eventually blow. They knew for years what was going on and did nothing to change the culture - They pushed for upstats, had no sympathy for fellow staff members, lied to the press and are as guilty, through omission, as Hubbard and DM. D.