ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Viewpoint on Scientology

Discussion in 'Life After Scientology' started by peterhoffman, Feb 13, 2008.

1. peterhoffman

peterhoffman New Member

As of now I have eshewed Scientology as being anything new, anything that I can't live without, anything "real."

I don't use Scientology concepts or viewpoints anymore.

My goal now is to live in the real world.

I felt the ultimate trap of Scientology was the negative attitude towards life--life was bad so you had to get out of it. The body was a trap. What a horrible viewpoint.

I always wonder, in Scientology, looking at Hollywood and the lives others were leading, and they had desirable elements of success that was not happening in Scientology, but we were supposed to look down at the rest of the world as being ignorant.

I made a decision to stop being critical, to stop hating everything.

The plus side with what Anonymous is doing is they made it okay to be a Scientologist. One of the unfortunate side effects of leaving is how can anyone understand what happened to you? Anonymous understands, and they listen, and they're young for the most part--it's like evolution has provided a stronger generation to confront evil. I never thought I would see it happen, that what is happening with Justice and the Church.

I'm really excited about it, and how optimistic about the future when you see how good people are. No protestor got in trouble with the law. They listened to Mark Bunker--they can change.

It's truly an exciting time.

I think Scientology, now, is the ultimate cult. I do think Hubbard made it all up. I did believe him. But, dead ends are dead ends.

I have this theory that microcosms like AA, retreats, etc -- and Scientology can be this too -- are supposed to be theraputic so that you can get back to living in the macrocosm of life. However, the problem is when people think the microcosm is the macrocosm.

So, I could burn all of my Scientology books and be fine.

I'm currently using Holosync sound technology to meditate.

2. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

I know what you mean about the invalidation of life that Scientology engages in. I was thinking just today how perverted it is.

Take for instance the "Pain and Sex" HCOB.

This is SEXUAL PERVERSION. Here we have a guy saying that sex is an alien implant designed to trap you. That's simply perverted. And anyone who tries to apply that idea to their own life, and live by it, will end up a sexual pervert.

Welcome Peter - I'm looking forward to your posting here!

3. Kathy (ImOut)

Kathy (ImOut) Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome, Peter.

Great post. I too have been hanging with non-Churchies. I actually like them and I don't have to worry about remembering Scn speak or tech. Just talk like a "normal" person and all is good.

4. Fancy

Fancy Patron Meritorious

Good about the stopping critical speaking.

I think I was target of it once and it was not so fun on my side.

Barb

5. Holden Caulfield

Holden Caulfield New Member

Hi everyone,

this will be my first post here. I was born and raised in Scientology, both parents are Class IV auditors and have been in Scientology since the mid 70's.

I can't begin to say what a damaging effect the Scientology doctrines and its belief system has had on me, my schooling, my social development as a child and teenager. I have come to closure with the fact that I may never recover and be a fully fuctional, happy and content human being.

A lot of what still holds me back today is precisely the negative attitude towards life and society that Scientology instilled in me throughout my formative years. Its something I was socialized in to the degree that it has become a part of what and who I am.

I'm now a Social Science major at university level and although I do enjoy this field of study, I can recognize that the critical approach to society and contemporary culture existing in some areas of Sociology is something I may have brought with me from Scientology.

Being critical and cynical is something I'm often told I am - some like it and some don't. What I try to do - and a scientific approach is helpful here - is to not be judgemental. Science isn't judgemental - religion is. Science critiques on the basis of what can be supported.

Every day that passes I step further and further away from Scientology reasoning and for every day I can view things for what they are and not what they are supposed to be from a Scientology viewpoint.

It's funny when I come to think of it - having been told all throughout my childhood that auditing is the only thing that truly can make you happy - the moment in my life when I received the most amount of auditing is definetly the time when I was most unhappy.

6. Colleen K. Peltomaa

Colleen K. Peltomaa Silver Meritorious Patron

I have heard about Holosync, I believe LionHeart told me about it.

7. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

I would think that social science would be very good for you.

I would also think that your time in Scientology would give you an edge over the other students, and an advantage in understanding freedom.

For how can we know freedom if we do not know slavery?

How can we know real culture if we do not know false culture?

How can we know love of humanity if we do not know hatred for it?

Welcome. :)

8. PirateAndBum

PirateAndBum Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome to the board Holden.

The world is far from a perfect place. One's attitude about it is another thing entirely. Scientology doesn't much talk about love. I think that word is probably the most rare word to be found in all of Hubbard's writings. It always bothered me that there was so little love in Scientology.

Here's to regaining your love for yourself and others. :heartflower: :arose: :grouphug: :bighug:

9. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Patron with Honors

Giuseppe misunderstood love completely. Love is trouble to Giuseppe:love11: . Giuseppe never has parental love in any fashion, like the 'wogs' do. Giuseppe only have clinical definition of love to family. 'The desire to occupy the same space' meaning love? Not so at all - Giuseppe refused that definition.

People who seek out others to destroy them and take their land fits to that definition. :catfight:

10. PirateAndBum

Sorry to hear that Giuseppe. That is exactly my point - there is no love in Scientology - it wasn't until I heard some OT VIII's come back and tell about their wins that I had ever heard anyone talk about love when sharing a win. Except maybe to say they loved Ron - bah fooey!

I hope you find love Giuseppe. I think it is innate to a being you can find it within yourself. I am lucky for having had 2 parents that loved me very much. I plan to pass it on :)

11. Holden Caulfield

Thank you for those kind words, Alanzo. :)

To some degree yes, I've got the advantage of having had a completely different perspective on things, which helps when I'm required to compare and contrast Sociological theories, which a lot of other students seem to have difficulty with.

The disadvantage is that since I wasn't schooled properly, and spent huge chunks of my childhood doing clay demos and looking up words but never reading, I need to work twice as hard as many other students in terms of self-dicipline.

But post-seconday studies have saved me, I have to say. When I decided I didn't want to be a scientologist anymore I also realized that I had missed out of everything that is natural in the social development of a normal child.

I came out from the sheltered bulwark of Scientology to a world in which I had no resume to speak of, no connections, uneducated with no understanding of the way the real world works.

Thankfully, I'm a fast learner and its not thanks to the Student Hat that I'm an honours student that's for sure.

12. ChaoticPsychotic

ChaoticPsychotic Patron with Honors

Peter,

If that really is you name then I may know you. I sent you a private message. I hope you see it!

Melanie

13. PirateAndBum

Welcome Peter!

Sorry I got confused about who was authoring this thread.

Yes, looking at the world as a place full of aberrated people is certainly no way to get along.

I really hated going to IAS briefings and being filled full of the horrors of the world for an hour just so they could pick my pockets. Talk about depressing! Not much attention was ever put on the things that were right. Very unhealthy.

Here's to a bright future in the world of the free :happydance:

Holden, you should start a thread of your own and tell about your experiences.

14. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

I think it makes you a real survivour. I remember the first adult education college studies I did, (I left school to join staff when young) and it was a real eye opener. No starrates, no demos and I ended up with honours too. :D Once you get the hang of it, study outside the org was really fun!

15. Holden Caulfield

Yes, and learning critical reasoning and independent knowledge accumulation as opposed to the narrow pedagogy in Scientology, in which a good student is a student who "duplicates" LRH without questioning or critical assessment.

Yeah, Study Tech!

Isn't it amazing how the universities of the world really ought to be filled with scientologists applying Study Tech since its so revolutionary and efficient?

16. Div6

Div6 Crusader

The Eskimos have something like 22 different words for "snow".

The Greeks had around 11 different words for "love".

Scn?

17. Wisened One

Wisened One Crusader

Holosync

Us, too! Doesn't it work great? MUCH better, faster and cheaper than CoS!

What level are you on, if I may ask?

AL 1, here.

Wisened Ones

18. Amfortas

Amfortas Patron

horrible viewpoint

This always bothered me. Hubbard’s view of the universe was so dark, so paranoid. He tried to create a way out of the physical universe because the way that already existed was for good people and he simply knew that he wasn’t moving out that way.

Peter are you German, I knew a Peter Hoffman many years ago in a German Scientology Mission.

19. peterhoffman

peterhoffman New Member

My dad's genes are German. My mom's side is British. But my parents and I were raised in the US.