ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Village Voice publishes Hubbard's Orders of the Day

Discussion in 'Tony Ortega' started by Free to shine, Nov 19, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Read more - http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/11/l_ron_hubbard_c.php

2. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

3. Operating DB

Operating DB Truman Show Dropout

Oh, goody goody! Let me get a fresh cup of coffee and get into my snuggie for a great read!

4. guanoloco

guanoloco As-Wased

These should be nice and juicy and will most likely do more damage than all of the anecdotal collective evidence we can put out together.

I say let Hubbard be widely circulated in today's limelight and watch it die from its own poison.

5. Hot Diggeddy! :cheers: :drama:

6. anonomog

anonomog Gold Meritorious Patron

An aside thought...
    Hubbard's prolific and varied body of writings provide a great study into the progression and layers of mental illness.
    It is from within those very same writings that Scientologists study to improve their mental health.

When the student's level of mental health fails to reach the depths needed to understand a madman, they are advised to examine each word individually in the hope that by seeing the trees in absolute perfection, they fail to see the forest of madness right in front of them.

7. Infinite

Infinite Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

Yeah, but OTs can talk to animals.

8. anonomog

anonomog Gold Meritorious Patron

Pity the animals don't understand them though.

9. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

The comments are fun to read - especally the ot 8 true believer. They used to post the OODs at ASHO when it was on Temple - they would come in weekly and I would read them avidly.

There was mention of the Darby. People would get awards for progress in the Darby and I didn't have a clue what they were about. Then one fine day, there was a SO briefing at AOLA and I asked this SO Officer giving the briefing in the Q&A period what the darby was. He was clearly embarassed by being put on the spot in front of maybe 30 + people, however, he answered my question:

It was a contest to find nests of cockroaches.

If I recall correctly, when you found a nest a messenger had to verify it and it's destruction to get the points or whatever was the award.

Mimsey

10. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

Is guy a troll or what? LOL

Mimsey

11. Mystic

Mystic Crusader

Reads like the psycho-ramblings of an internet troll.

12. Sindy

Sindy Crusader

This is profound.

13. Student of Trinity

Student of Trinity Silver Meritorious Patron

Yes, this seems profound to me, too. It's a much more succinct statement of something I suggested a while ago, that the emphasis on word-clearing is a shrewd tactic for deflecting attention away from bait-and-switch tricks.

14. Gadfly

Gadfly Crusader

I don't see that it is true that "emphasis on word-clearing is a shrewd tactic for deflecting attention away from bait-and-switch tricks".

First, I did the "Primary Rundown" many years ago, which involves first clearing every word in the Student Hat, and then doing the Student Hat.

I enjoyed looking up every word, going over EVERY definition and use, grasp the various contexts, and also understand the "derivation". I did it right, and I NEVER had to do it again. See, if a person is involved in Scientology for any period of time, and has an IQ above 100, he or she should for the most part "be over it".

I do look up any word I am not familiar with. Why not? It makes complete sense to understand all of the words if you want to understand a sentence containing those words.

The false data involved with Hubbard's notions is that any person can understand anything if you understand the words. My suggestion, even back then, to friends who were Scientologists would be, "okay here is a book on basic psychiatry, read it, and tell me what you understand". Of course, knowing that they had a bias against psychiatry, they would say, "but the ideas are stupid". I would say "EXACTLY". Just because something is written and you understand all of the words does NOT mean that you actually "understand anything valid or true".

"The world is flat". You can understand all of the words, but what about the truthfulness of the statament? So, I noticed early on that YES, by all means one should understand all the words in anything one is studying, BUT after that one has to ascertain the veracity of the statement. One can understand all of the words of a Muslim fanatic. So what?

I never got into long "word chains" where I spent hours "clearing words". In fact, after a certain point I rarely cleared words at all. I knew quite a few people who did exactly the same. For many people, word clearing is extremely minor or even non-existant.

Onto my next point.

Second, while it may be true for a SMALL select group that they get obsessed and distracted with "clearing words", it is minor. Most staff study AT MOST 2 1/2 hours per day. And only a very SMALL part of it is concerned with "clearing words". The rest is reading, doing demos, writing essays, etc. And, many public people are NOT "always on course". Many are simply not in any situation where they would have to word clear anything.

There are other aspects of Scientology that make much more sense in terms of "deflecting attention away from bait-and-switch tricks".

For example, while on staff, there is an endless stream of orders, endless "emergencies that MUST be handled right away", and "constant intense pressure coming down the management channels". THAT functions MUCH MORE to keep attention fixated on and away from other questionable aspects of Scientology. One is "kept busy" in Scientology. (Chaucer in the twelfth century called "idle hands the devil's tools".)

Another example would be that the Scientology adherents are SO INCREDIBLY indoctrinated, along a very carefully planned "gradient", involving many unverifiable assertions and claims that are STATED AS OBVIOUS FACTS. The Scn organization is setup so that one learns quickly NOT TO EVER question any of Hubbard's statements. In a sense the Scn system operates to quickly "filter out" anyone who won't readily "tow the line". The people who stay are ONLY the types who will play along with ideas like "only we have the truth", "Scientology is Man's only hope", "we must work harder than ever before if we are to make it", ad nauseum.

It isn't so much that a Scientologist's attention is deflected away, but that he or she is so FILLED with beliefs, faith and fixed ideas about Hubbard's CLAIMS, that he or she CANNOT notice any "bait and switch". It is their own MENTAL STATE in terms of ideas about all-that-is that blocks their perception. There are many aspects to this. For example, the Scn justice system is setup making it a High Crime to denigrate the state of Clear or OT. What that translates to in real living terms is that church members learn fast and hard to NEVER say anything that might be construed as "questioning" these states. Then there is the endless PR and propaganda at events and in orgs where the "wins" of OT are incessantly exaggerated and flaunted in front of the other members.

No Scn member could or would EVER comfortably suggest that there is "bait and switch". Such an idea would be alien to them. They really ARE incredibly "brain-washed", and as a result, are quite unable to see ANYTHING outside the framework of their accepted "model of reality" (i.e "worldview" as determined by Hubbard's ideas). "Word clearing" has something to do with the indoctrination into these "fixed ideas" (belief system), but it has little do do with the actual "mindset" that results from the indoctrination and which blocks the observation of the obvious.

Word clearing is extremely minor in all of that.

Yes, there are some small percentage of people who DO get obsessed with "word clearing", but they tend to be people who have a long history as very BAD students.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  15. olska

olska Silver Meritorious Patron

It's sarcasm. And I thought it was pretty funny. God help us when writing on the internet gets so "serious" that any hint of sarcasm or irony is dismissed as "trolling." Jokers and Degraders Policy revisited.

16. Free to shine

Some more gems in this series: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/11/scientology_vs.php

Scientology vs. Pollution, a Lisbon Cocktail Party, and More: Sailing on the Apollo Nov. 20-26
    Here is an excerpt:

17. Moosejewels

Moosejewels Patron Meritorious

delete

18. Free to shine

Some more OODs. :)

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/12/smersh_scientol.php

19. Free to shine

From the Comments section on the above article.

20. Free to shine

Some more of this series:
    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/01/scientology_on_2.php