What's new

Was LRH impotent?

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
I grew up Catholic, in the company of nuns, brothers and priests of the Order of the Holy Cross nearly every day through high school. (Except summers. Blessed be the summers.)
While it is certainly true that outside that influence sex was hardly taboo, it is true that inside those cloisters the subject was severely repressed.
But apparently not more than it is in the Sea Org, and in the doctrine of the COS. Why is that? Could it be that LRH, under the influence of drugs or whatever, had become seldom or even completely unable to practice the manly way? And could that have become an influence on everything he pronounced about the nature of beings? Was his "can't have" pushed onto everyone's plate?
Thoughts?

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
He produced many children.

So, I would guess the answer is no.

T.O.

True, but they were early in the game, weren't they? And anyone can get lucky once in a while. I'm talking about a propensity.

Thanks for your opinion, though.

I know for a fact that LRH wasn't impotent. I've witnessed him screwing lots of people. Male-Female didn't matter, he'd screw anyone!:coolwink:

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
By definition, he wasn't impotent. However, he may have suffered periods of lack of turgidity, who knows? As we are well aware, these days (how can we not be, if we watch any TV), erectile dysfunction is pretty common, especially amongst people who have other illnesses, or who "self-medicate" using cocaine or heroin.

So far, in my life, I have been blessed by not being afflicted with this condition. I mean, what's the point of being male if you don't get morning wood?

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think that people are forgetting something very very impotent here, er I meant to say important.

Even if LRH had become impotent all he had to do was invent a process that would handle it, er I meant to say discover a process.

I'm sure there could have been an earlier unhandled pre-natal involved something along the lines of an engrammic command like "See this isn't hard" in the sense of easy/hard.

Those nasty pre-natal engrammic commands have been known to turn the men who were meant to be the toughest he-men into the most undignified sissies.

Rd00

Moonchild

Patron with Honors
I grew up Catholic, in the company of nuns, brothers and priests of the Order of the Holy Cross nearly every day through high school. (Except summers. Blessed be the summers.)
While it is certainly true that outside that influence sex was hardly taboo, it is true that inside those cloisters the subject was severely repressed.
But apparently not more than it is in the Sea Org, and in the doctrine of the COS. Why is that? Could it be that LRH, under the influence of drugs or whatever, had become seldom or even completely unable to practice the manly way? And could that have become an influence on everything he pronounced about the nature of beings? Was his "can't have" pushed onto everyone's plate?
Thoughts?

Yes, me too. And a UK Irish-Catholic upbringing at that, during the 50s and 60s. I congratulate myself that I'm not, in fact, sitting here wearing a dress and make-up...:omg: I couldn't handle the piss-taking from my wife, if nothing else...(joke).

But to be serious, at end of day, Leonardo Da Vinci (amongst others) was a homo., Isaac Newton lived out his days as a virgin, in certain periods of Greek history it was considered the "norm" for older men to have intimate relations with younger boys...there are endless examples from history which seem to imply that strict M/F sexual "correctness" is not necessarily a prerequisite for being a worthwhile member of society.

I would offer that your speculations about LRH and his sexual antics are not far off the mark...but does it matter anyway? That old gag about "God created 67 sexes and told us there were only 2".

Myself, I was..and this attitude was reinforced for sure by LRH's writings... rabidly homophobic for much of my life...but perhaps, changing my viewpoint, this is softening somewhat.

Working as I do in the entertainment industry, I've met many people of the "pink" persuasion; some are the most embittered nasty little shits you'd never want to meet, even in a nightmare...but then, considering how they're treated by the world-at-large, is it surprising?

And others are intelligent, well-read, gentle, sophisticated people that I'm pleased to regard as friends...whatever they get up to in bed. I really don't care.

To me at the moment, sex is, at root, a device which we inherit from our animal past...to ensure the continuation of the specie; this device being inherited by "thetan-controlled" homo-sapiens...and all the complications that brings. As an expression of love and tenderness, it's unsurpassed...thank God.

But, in the case of a life-form as complex as ourselves, issues will inevitably arise; It's my belief that LRH was in fact deeply ignorant on the whole subject. And my conclusion would therefore be that his attitudes toward sexual activity should be quietly discarded.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Thoughts?

My guess is that later in life he may've developed some pecker problems.

Poor men!! At the mercy of prostates and all that stuff...

:p

Mike Goldstein

Patron with Honors
LRH's Impotence.

Kevin:
In the CoS, LRH was very impotent. And he tried to live up to this by the way he dressed. His moto was: "If you're going to be impotent, you have to look impotent."
-M

Moonchild

Patron with Honors
Re-reading my previous post #9 this thread, I must apologise for going a bit "off-topic"....think I skipped a gradient or two in my presentation.

From the "Affirmations"/ "Admissions" it seems clear that LRH had anxieties about his sexual potency at a fairly early stage, and supposed that the meds he was taking at that time had a distinct bearing on same....which may well have been the case.

I wonder whether it also occurred to him (whether or not he could truly confront it) that his issues may have had another cause...i.e., overts (of whatever nature) against the 2nd Dynamic?

And by extension, his well-known dislike of "alternative" sexual practices may have its root there? The tendency to accuse others of one's own peccadillos etc.

And this is where my previous post should have started...

Mike Goldstein

Patron with Honors
Kevin:
In the CoS, LRH was very impotent. And he tried to live up to this by the way he dressed. His moto was: "If you're going to be impotent, you have to look impotent."
-M

Sorry about the silly post, but it’s an old joke:

A couple goes to a fertility clinic because the wife can’t conceive. They are both tested, but the husband, who’s a pretty macho guy with a big ego, is certain the problem is with his wife.

The following week, the clinic calls their house while the husband is at work and informs the wife that her husband is impotent. Since she doesn’t want to be the one to tell him the bad news, she leaves a message with his secretary to tell him to stop by the clinic on the way home because the doctor wants to talk to him.

When the husband returns home that night, he’s happy and has bought himself a new wardrobe. Puzzled, the wife asks him if he talked to the doctor. When the husband confirms that he did, the wife inquires about the new clothes. The husband replies: “If I’m gonna be impotent, I gotta look impotent.”
-M

nw2394

Silver Meritorious Patron
Was LRH impotent? As a younger man he evidently fathered several children by different women and apparently had an affair or two. That doesn't sound like impotent to me.

In later life - say after the SO was formed - he was in his fifties, was a smoker, sometimes drank and apparently did some drugs too - so he quite possibly didn't always get it up then - just like many of the rest of us in similar circumstances.

But I have to ask: Is this of any relevance to something worthwhile? Is this even really any of our business? Don't we have better things to do? :grouch:

Nick

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, me too. And a UK Irish-Catholic upbringing at that, during the 50s and 60s. I congratulate myself that I'm not, in fact, sitting here wearing a dress and make-up...:omg: I couldn't handle the piss-taking from my wife, if nothing else...(joke).

But to be serious, at end of day, Leonardo Da Vinci (amongst others) was a homo., Isaac Newton lived out his days as a virgin, in certain periods of Greek history it was considered the "norm" for older men to have intimate relations with younger boys...there are endless examples from history which seem to imply that strict M/F sexual "correctness" is not necessarily a prerequisite for being a worthwhile member of society.

I would offer that your speculations about LRH and his sexual antics are not far off the mark...but does it matter anyway? That old gag about "God created 67 sexes and told us there were only 2".

Myself, I was..and this attitude was reinforced for sure by LRH's writings... rabidly homophobic for much of my life...but perhaps, changing my viewpoint, this is softening somewhat.

Working as I do in the entertainment industry, I've met many people of the "pink" persuasion; some are the most embittered nasty little shits you'd never want to meet, even in a nightmare...but then, considering how they're treated by the world-at-large, is it surprising?

And others are intelligent, well-read, gentle, sophisticated people that I'm pleased to regard as friends...whatever they get up to in bed. I really don't care.

To me at the moment, sex is, at root, a device which we inherit from our animal past...to ensure the continuation of the specie; this device being inherited by "thetan-controlled" homo-sapiens...and all the complications that brings. As an expression of love and tenderness, it's unsurpassed...thank God.

But, in the case of a life-form as complex as ourselves, issues will inevitably arise; It's my belief that LRH was in fact deeply ignorant on the whole subject. And my conclusion would therefore be that his attitudes toward sexual activity should be quietly discarded.

A thoughtful, intelligent, incisive, humorous and personal post.

What are you trying to do, put me out of business?

In seriousness, thank you very much, I'd love to hear what you think about all things.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Was LRH impotent? As a younger man he evidently fathered several children by different women and apparently had an affair or two. That doesn't sound like impotent to me.

In later life - say after the SO was formed - he was in his fifties, was a smoker, sometimes drank and apparently did some drugs too - so he quite possibly didn't always get it up then - just like many of the rest of us in similar circumstances.

But I have to ask: Is this of any relevance to something worthwhile? Is this even really any of our business? Don't we have better things to do? :grouch:

Nick

No.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sorry about the silly post, but it’s an old joke:

A couple goes to a fertility clinic because the wife can’t conceive. They are both tested, but the husband, who’s a pretty macho guy with a big ego, is certain the problem is with his wife.

The following week, the clinic calls their house while the husband is at work and informs the wife that her husband is impotent. Since she doesn’t want to be the one to tell him the bad news, she leaves a message with his secretary to tell him to stop by the clinic on the way home because the doctor wants to talk to him.

When the husband returns home that night, he’s happy and has bought himself a new wardrobe. Puzzled, the wife asks him if he talked to the doctor. When the husband confirms that he did, the wife inquires about the new clothes. The husband replies: “If I’m gonna be impotent, I gotta look impotent.”
-M

Mike made TWO jokes. I love it! You are great, Mr. Goldstein, a man among men. If you ever want any material written for you I am at your service.

Moonchild

Patron with Honors
A thoughtful, intelligent, incisive, humorous and personal post.

What are you trying to do, put me out of business?

In seriousness, thank you very much, I'd love to hear what you think about all things.

In brief, thank you Nexus for your generous comments. I'll try my best not to disappoint with subsequent posts.

ARC, M. :)