ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Water moons of Jupiter and Saturn

Discussion in 'Human Potential, Self Discovery' started by Veda, Sep 26, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Jupiter's Ganymede:

[​IMG]

Saturn's Enceladus

[​IMG]

Jupiter's Europa:

[​IMG]

Mission to Europa:

Enthetan, Lurker5 and Glenda like this.
  2. lotus

lotus stubborn rebel sheep!

Stunning!

Lurker5, Glenda and Veda like this.
  3. lotus

When I was a kid , my mom taught us all there was to be seen and known hen looking up in the sky at night.
    Each summer night we had to look, find and name planets, constellations, galaxies.

I was living in a city, but still we coud observe the milky way and Andromeda Galaxy.

When I became an adult , each time I was walking at night, I would look and try to find Andromeda till I barely could see it since there are too much lights on in cities.

I loved that each time I encountered with Andromeda, thinking to myself that it was so huge as well as so far and appearing so small; I was left with it's wisdom it tells: we are so small in the great plan..only a dust particle even when we think it's all about us and that we are the center.

:oops:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Glenda and Veda like this.
  4. lotus

Andromeda - M31

[​IMG]

Veda and Cat's Squirrel like this.
  5. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

M87 is my favourite.

Veda likes this.
  6. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

As a teen I had a 6" reflector - I lived in upstate NY, so the skies were really dark in the winter - summers the nights were covered with haze. With my scope I could easily see the 4 moons of Jupiter, the rings of Saturn, the moon's craters, the ring nebula - but when I would look at the photos in Sky and Telescope magazine, I would pine for a bigger scope. I would take photos with EXA camera with a mount that fit into the eyepiece. I applied to Berkeley to go to the astronomy school, but my GPA was nowhere near what they wanted.

My dad was so thrilled when I showed him Saturn, he had only seen photos of it, never saw it through a telescope in the flesh.

I eventually sold the telescope and the Exa, and bought an Exacta vxIIb and went to RIT as a photography major. I had found I preferred taking photos of people over the stars.

Mimsey

This is about what Saturn looked like through a 6" reflector:

[​IMG]

Same with Jupiter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  7. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

In LA I had a relatively cheap refractor, 60x with crappy colour aberration. Anyway, I set it up on the roof of the garage and looked at Jupiter, whose moons were clearly visible. I showed a couple of people, who had a similar reaction to me: it's very special somehow to see Jupiter's moons, personally, in real time, even through crappy optics, compared to a dead full-colour hi-res spread in a magazine or on a computer screen.

Paul

8. strativarius

When I was working for Aussie Tony Brown I lived at this doctor's house in EG. One night he dug out his telescope and set it up in the garden and invited me to have a look at Saturn through it. What I saw was pretty much what you can see in Mimsey's post above, but as you say Paul, when you're looking at it 'in the flesh' it's far more exciting than looking at a photo in a magazine. It was an awesome sight and I've never forgotten that night.

Mimsey Borogrove, lotus and Lurker5 like this.
  9. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Now that you all have your telescopes out...

This is the complete quote from John Symonds and Kenneth Grant, who were editors of some of Aleister Crowley's writings, referring to a 1911 series of "processes" published in Crowley's ten volume 'Equinox':

"It ('Batra', etc.) deals with the magical practice of expanding consciousness to the stars and the planets. The word 'Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia' is made up of the Greek words for Frog Mind Ox World Battle, and is a play on the title of the Homeric mock epic, the 'Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia' or 'Battle of the Frogs and Mice'. The idea behind the use of this barbarous name, 'Batra', etc. - that is, in pronunciation or vibration - is that it is supposed to create a sense of vertigo in which the mind is freed from its ordinary bounds. Consciousness - so the theory goes - is exalted to infinity by this method."

______________​

Warning: The "sense of vertigo" http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vertigo can also make the person vulnerable to manipulation, and more easily influenced and controllable.

Was Hubbard inducing a sense of "vertigo" with the "Be three feet back of your head" command?

The purpose of "Be three feet back of your head" would, then, not so much to place persons three feet back of their heads, but to have them agree that such a thing could be done. This places the person outside the confines of ordinary reality and is a signal to the operator that the person is open to suggestion.

In any event...

(Batra inspired Hubbard's "Grand tour" of the book 'COHA').

(Notice that it contains actions which resemble what later were Scientology processes, such as spanning attention and mock ups, and even cautions about overrun.)

__________Begin quote__________
    Q
    0. Let the Practicus [student] study the textbooks of astronomy, travel if need be to a place where the sun and stars are visible, and observe the heavens with the best telescopes to which he may have access.

1. Now, since the figures will leave no distinct impression with any precision upon his mind, let him begin practice A.

...A. Let the praticus be seated before a small table, and let an unknown number of small objects be thrown by the chela [teacher or trainer] from time to time upon the table, and by that chela hastily gathered up.

...Let the practicus declare at a glance, and the chela confirm by his count, the number of such objects...

...The quickness of the chela in gathering up is expected to increase with time... Care must be taken to detect the first symptom of fatigue, and to stop, if possible, even before it threatens. The practiced psychologist learns to recognize even minute hesitations that mark the forcing of attention.

2. Alternating with the above, let the practicus begin the practice B.

...B. It is assumed that he has thoroughly conquered the elementary difficulties of Dharana [concentration], and is able to prevent mental pictures from altering shape, size, and color against his will.

....Seated in the open air, let him endeavor to form a complete mental picture of himself and his immediate surroundings. It is important the he should be in the center of such a picture, and be able to look freely in all directions. The finished picture should be a complete consciousness of the whole, fixed, clear, and definite.

...Let him gradually add to the picture by including objects more and more distant, until he has an image of the whole field of vision.

...He will probably find that it is very difficult to increase the apparent size of the picture as he proceeds, and it should be his most earnest endeavor to do so. He should seek in particular to appreciate distances...

3. These practices A and B accomplished, and his studies in astronomy, let him attempt practice C.

...C. Let the practicus form a mental picture of the Earth, in particular by striving to realize the size in comparison with himself, and let him not be content until by assiduity he has well succeeded. Let him add the moon, keeping well in mind the relative sizes of, and distances between, the planet and its satellite.

...He will probably find the final trick of the mind to be a constant disappearance of the image, and the appearance upon a small scale. This trick he must outwit by constancy of endeavor.

...He will then add in turn Venus, Mars, Mercury, and the Sun. It is permissible at this stage to change the point of view to the center of the sun, and to do so may add stability...

...And thus, gathering one star after another, let his contemplation become vast as the heaven, in space and time, ever aspiring to the perception of the body of Nuit, yea the Body of Nuit [Infinity].
    _________

____________End quote___________

[​IMG]
    "I'm way beyond Jupiter right now!"

tesseract likes this.
  10. lotus

:roflmao::laugh::hysterical:

My guess is that
    The thought of sitting on a "magic stick" , is what projects him way beyond Jupiter.

And this is not a joke.
    :oops:

11. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

I think he's taking the piss. He looks the opposite of serene.

Paul

12. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Encountering those interstellar winds is no walk in the park.

[​IMG]

13. strativarius

Yes. but how would you feel if one of your balls was missing?