ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

What does it take to get out of the RPF?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by BAYCB, Feb 9, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. BAYCB

BAYCB Patron with Honors

I’ve never been in the Sea Org, but was on org staff for a few years. I was surprised to read in some earlier threads that one can be in the RPF for 6 years (more?).

Was just wondering what is used to determine when you are done with the RPF. Is it based on case level/gain or are you assigned a preset time/sentence to serve?

Also, how many times can you be assigned to the RPF before you are off-loaded?

2. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Do a search on Chuck Beatty; he was on the RPF for 8 years (admittedly, an exceptionally long time) and most of that was 'waiting' to 'route out'.

Getting on and off the RPF is purely arbitrary and has more to do with the 'office/org' politics and needs than anything else. Certainly more than the 'rehabilitation' or 'performance' of the RPFer in the RPF.

Zinj

3. BAYCB

BAYCB Patron with Honors

Hard to believe someone can be in the RPF for 8 years.

Another question, do most Sea Org members end up in the RPF? I know some of the upper management types probably don't, but how about your average joe/sue SO member?

I was surprised to hear that Diane Hubbard had been in the RPF.

4. Zinjifar

There are, unsurprisingly, no stats available :)

Of the people I know or know of, who have spent any period of time (years, decades) in the Sea Org, the majority seem to have spent some time on the RPF, sometimes multiple times. Considering the most recent revelations over the past year or two, it does not seem that being 'high up' is any kind of protection, In fact, it seems to be a more dangerous place to be.

Zinj

5. Poofy

Poofy Patron with Honors

They seem to follow the policy of the higher you are the harder you fall. They get steadily more suspicious of people they promote. It is an excellent sign of a self-destructive organization.

6. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Wild-ass guess? Here's mine.

Service-org level (Saint Hill, AO): Of the people there, who've been in the SO an average of 5 years, I would guess that 5-10% have been RPF'd at least once.

Upper middle-management level (FCB: FB, OSA Int, ITO, WISE Int etc.): Out of those people, who've been in the SO an average of 7 years, I would guess that 10-20% have been RPF'd at least once.

Int level: Of these, averaging 10 years in the SO, I haven't a clue. Do many RPF grads make it back to Int, or does the RPF assignment disqualify many from returning? I know it's not an absolute requirement.

Again, these are wild guesses, including average time in the SO, but based on at least some familiarity with the scene.

Other informed opinions welcome. :)

Paul

7. Zinjifar

Naturally, my guesses (and that's all they are) are tinged by the fact that the people I know who were in are now *out*, and they have almost universally had some RPF experience.

Zinj

8. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Naturally, Zinj, myself included. :)

Paul

9. alex

alex Gold Meritorious Patron

In theory the RPF (Rehabilitation Project Force) is a program that a sea org member is put on with others similarly needing some rehab, which consists of "mest" work, or physical labor, and study and processing.

The people train and process each other as if they were a separate org, which they are.

It is a relief from responsiblilty as the participants only "post" or job is to do the training and processing and the assigned simple labor.

In practice there can be element of punishment to it as a person looses the prestige of their post and the priviledges of production.

It is hardly the "slave labor camp" sometime described as the only factor keeping the person there is their own agreement.

One could just walk away and go home except for the mindset.

alex

10. Zinjifar

Bullshit. It's probably true for the most part, although, the chains of the mind are pretty overwhelming in Scientology, and there's always the *post* walking away extortion of Fair Game and Disconnection to deal with, but, there is plenty of credible evidence of physical restraint in some cases.

Zinj

11. alex

Any such physical restraint was not per policy nor per the intent of the RPF.

If a person were to walk away from the RPF and thus also from the religious order they were a member of it certainly would tend to color the perceptions of them by their former fellows, but as a choice it is there.

alex

12. Zinjifar

In Scientology, Policy says whatever the person applying the Policy wants it to say, whether that person is Ron or the newest crop of crazies.

Zinj

13. alex

Policy says what is says.

People do what they will.

If the two conflict, it is not the choice of the policy but of the person.

alex

14. BAYCB

BAYCB Patron with Honors

Alex,

I understand that it would be the mindset of the individual that would keep one to continue in the RPF. But, I’m trying to understand… what is the final determining factor that allows someone to Graduate from the RPF?

If there is no set EP/Final product for this action, then it seems to be more of a punishment of the individual than a Rehab.

Wouldn’t this contribute to making the mindset of the Church even stronger.

15. Mick Wenlock

Mick Wenlock Admin Emeritus (retired)

well hush my fucking puppies. Have you actually DONE the RPF? I suspect not.

No its not a "separate org" which you would know if you had been in it. it's in the estates org.

actually you are wrong - instead of just regurgitating what the cofs has said why not read some of the accounts? My account of the RPF is not unfavorable for example.

roflmao. You have no idea what you are talking about. How about - no family time? No liberty? no vacation?

Once again disingenuity seems to be something you keep attempting. Yes you could certainly walk out -,eave behind your family and everything you have worked for. Of course, it's easy.

asshole.

You know what? You seem to know nothing about the subject - why do you post?

16. alex

There is a program for each person containing the auditing and training they need to complete that is the criteria for their graduation.

The work they do is not considered as part of the program, but just what they do for their "exchange", to pay their way so to speak.

http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=4892

Has some good accounts of peoples rpf experiences.

If you get the idea of them being in a religious order such as priests or nuns, perhaps it will be more understandable.

I have not done the rpf as I have never been in the sea org.

alex

17. alex

Consider your fucking puppies hushed.

I have read most everthing you have posted here, as well as elsewhere.

I still tear up recalling your account of being declared and banished to the streets of copenhagen with less than $20 to your name, and two small children to care for.

You have my admiration for your courage and perserverance, if not for your current views, such as your view on my character and the value of my thoughts.

alex

18. Div6

Div6 Crusader

This is bullshit. This is your mind "on Scientology".

There are many credible stories of RPF'ers being isolated and or held "under guard". The Hemet location is a fenced compound with razor wire ON THE INSIDE.....to keep people from "jumping the fence". Further, since working in the SO keeps people without money, they have no means to travel any distance "to go home".

It seems "Alex" is fighting mightily to maintain some "rightness" in his belief system in the face of overwhelming "wrongness".

Its a ser fac Alex. You'll be a much brighter being with out it.

19. BAYCB

BAYCB Patron with Honors

Thanks for the link.... stories are kind of sad. I never have been in the sea org, but I had the opportunity to be a Flag (Clearwater) many years ago and saw the conditions that RPFers where experiencing.

Saw one lady in the galley breakdown crying and the I/C start yelling at her to run laps. She cried even more saying she couldn’t run anymore. I had to leave because I couldn’t bear to watch anymore. This however was one of the reasons I decided that I would never, ever join the sea org.

Just don’t understand how the sea org would expect to get any kind of product from this other than a more obedient/fearful member.

20. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Patron with Honors

Sounds like what some far right-wingers have to say about prison. It's like a vacation! They get to gain education and learn some skills. (Lots of openings for license plate makers and good prison-hooch-makers on the outside, don't you know!) They even get to work out! Getting the crap beat out of you and repeated anal rapings are a small price to pay for such rehabilitation.:eyeroll:

Hanover Fist