ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

What happened to OCMB?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Emma, Aug 17, 2019.

1. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

Cool, I'd happily go with that.

:D

Jenyfurrr and TheOriginalBigBlue like this.
  2. Emma

Emma Con te partirò Administrator

I started a program last night to completely copy xenu.net (not ocmb - that won't work as I found out with ESMB, also it's not live). It's still running but I'm hopeful so far because it's simple html.
    The truth of the matter is that over the past few years, very few people have donated. The number of people gets smaller each year. It's the same half a dozen. So if I didn't get the large donations I'm not sure ESMB would have continued. That's why I have felt beholden. If I ever did this again I would try to find a way to make sure no one donated more that 10% of the cost.
    Thanks, I'll try it.
    It might look like it but I don't want to start a war. I've said what I needed to say and doubt I'll mention it again. Just like in the Gaslighting video that was posted, I've written down my reality and I don't expect anything else from anyone. I might get trashed elsewhere online, but I'm past the point of caring about my reputation. I just want truth and transparency now. No sides, no agendas, no preferences for certain ideas over others. The irony is that I'm probably in the best psychological shape to run this board now because I've learned so many lessons about myself and about how to spot agendas. Maybe that is my EP.

Type4_PTS likes this.
  3. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Should you choose to continue, what if you don't limit the size of donations, but require that all donations are anonymous? That way you wouldn't have to feel beholden to anyone.

4. Emma

I don't know of any platform that you can force all donations to be anonymous. Do you know of any?

5. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

@Emma

For http://archive.is/ then go to the 2nd entry line and enter http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/
    Then one has to select "snapshots". The other selections get the same error message.

Tomorrow, I will try internet searching "Wayback Machine alternatives" for other sources.

6. Emma

I tried the link but it didn't go anywhere for me. I got a "This site can’t be reached" error.

7. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

I don't know of any platform offhand where you can force donations to be anonymous.

But you can make it very clear that only anonymous donations would be accepted and threaten their eternity should they violate that rule.

Pooks and Emma like this.
  8. Wilbur

Wilbur Patron Meritorious

Yeah, this is happening to the English language wholesale now. In the UK, what we used to call a 'tramp' (US equivalent: hobo) is now a 'homeless person'. I continue to call them tramps, but I can see people look around nervously to see whether anyone else is listening, when I continue to use these un-PC appellations.

Alanzo likes this.
  9. Emma

Like put them in the hole?

10. Gib

Gib Crusader

I've never contributed money to ESMB when donation time came about, I wanted to, but always hoped the target was met to keep it alive.

I think ESMB is a great discussion board.

If I had deeper pockets I would contribute.

I dunno know, I'm glad somebodies with deeper pockets kept it alive.

Jenyfurrr and Infinite like this.
  11. Emma

Just so you know - OCMB is still down.

Alanzo likes this.
  12. Emma

So I was just thinking, what if OCMB does come back up but there are selective edits. You can set a parameter where no edits show up.

13. He-man

He-man Hero extraordinary

Can you not ask someone you thrust in to manage the fundraiser/donations and then not talk about who donated what?

In go fund me there is an option for the sender to choose to be anonymous but I don't think it is set up so that the owner can choose that everyone is anonymous.

14. anonomog

anonomog Gold Meritorious Patron

15. Emma

Thanks mog. This was the best I could do:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewforum.php?f=9

16. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

I'll be very sorry if the board goes down @Emma, imagine the pleasure and glee it would bring to OSA, I can just see them congratulating themselves on a job well done.

17. Emma

So this is weird, and probably best explained by a php expert of which I'm not.

When the board was live a few days ago, what you saw was 5 lines of error code above every page.

[​IMG]

Every page loaded, but had these error codes.

Now all you see are these error codes.

[​IMG]

However, the login page is still live. Go to:
    http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=846&sid=01bfe5b58102b1f1a99836418a82242e

This page allows you to log in if you have the right credentials. I'm not sure if this login page is for me (as a registered user) or whether anyone else can access it. Can someone please test this for me?

The thing about this page, is it shows the same 5 lines of error codes as the pages that were live before the board went dark.

Can someone other than me please follow this link and see what you get.

This is what I see:

[​IMG]

This is very curious to me. If the whole board had crashed because of a critical error, why has the login page remained live?

If an administrator wanted to access the board to make changes to posts, remove posts, remove threads etc, they would still need access to the login page.

If I wanted to close this board down, I just flick a switch and you guys see nothing but an announcement. However I get to log back in as administrator and need the login page to be live.

18. Emma

Yes it would be such a loss. That site was started in 1996. I'm not sure if the message board was launched at that time or a little later. It contains a hell of a lot of stories from Tory, Arnie and a bunch of other old guard critics. It would be a massive shame to lose it.

Type4_PTS and Roan like this.
  19. Emma

The good news is that the site copier is still humming along. So far I've downloaded about 20gb of data and the links are all pointing in the right direction. it's been going for 24 hours now. I'll tell you all when it's finished and I have a complete backup.

Alanzo likes this.
  20. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

I see the same login page with 5 lines of error code as you posted. I'm not a registered user there.

Paul