ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

What Happens to People Who Are "Offloaded?"

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Boudicca, Feb 6, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. Boudicca

Boudicca Patron

Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's my understanding from reading and researching that "offloading" is sometimes (frequently?) done to Scientologists who are questioning, who make mistakes or who are no longer useful to the organization.

From what I've gathered, that person is taken to the nearest bus depot and dropped off with the clothes on their backs and $500? Is that true?

These are people who've been "in" and have been told that the outside world will destroy them? People who often have been forced to disconnect from outside friends or family? People who have no idea how to seek help from social service programs?

How on earth do they survive?

I wonder how many end up homeless? How many suicides?

I'd like to learn more about these displaced people.

My heart goes out to them.

2. Leon

Leon Gold Meritorious Patron

A few even got "beached". There was one English gu - I forget his name now - who was put ashore in Morocco with his passport and nothing else (John Stephens - was that his name? he might be around still) Anyway he was left to find his own way home. This was 1971.

3. Little Bear Victor

Little Bear Victor Silver Meritorious Patron

A public Scientologist or an Org staff member would not get offloaded, they simply get declared an SP.

Offloading applies to Sea Org members, those who have signed a billion-year contract to serve Scientology, who live in Sea Org bases and who have, in many cases left their earlier contacts and family altogether. Yes, that is essentially it: you are given a $500.00 severance pay (that you have to sign a legal paper for saying it was "good and adequate compensation"), a freeloader debt statement covering all the services you had done during your Sea Org career (you are supposed to now pay back for all the services that you did "for free" while in the Sea Org, from tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on what services you did), and you are declared a suppressive person, who is NOT to contact any Scientology org or Scientologist (the only people you know at this point) except for IJC (International Justice Chief) to do your "A to E" (suppressive person handling steps to make up the untold damage you have caused Scientology). Not that IJC is going to answer you if you do.

As to the $500.00: It cost me way more than that, with shipping of my belongings and travel costs, just to get back home after I was offloaded. "Good and adequate compensation."

As to how do they survive? Who the hell knows. That is one of the top reasons the threats DM levels against every person on the Int Base are so effective ("You are an SP. I'm going to offload you!"): You literally don't know how you're going to support yourself if you're thrown on the bus with a declare in one hand and $500.00 in the other. Your whole life is the Sea Org, all your friends are there, all your life plans were, and in many cases all your skills are pretty much useless in the outside world. What are you going to put on your resume -- an administrator skilled in LRH Admin tech???

Some action is usually taken by people lower on the Org board to ensure you have some sort of a plan on what to do and where to go. I believe this is done, in the most cases, by someone on the RPF or the HCO of the Sea Org installation the person was in.

But yes, in short: It is essentially identical to being left in the street corner in a place you haven't been to in decades.

Most make it through the initial shock thanks to old friends or family, who they didn't believe would care for them after having not talked to them in 10-20-30 years.

Sooner or later they find out that it is a thousand times easier to live in the real world than in the Sea Org and become successful and happy.

Of course, I am only speaking for those of whom I've heard since being out. I don't know what the actual percentages of success/failure are.

4. Mick Wenlock

Mick Wenlock Admin Emeritus (retired)

you can read something of what this is like in My Story - and this one is about me.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=1529

5. Div6

Div6 Crusader

Otto Roos was beached.

6. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

I was told the $500 was the "consideration" one received for signing away some rights in the waivers one signs on departure day.

My leaving cycle was supposedly held up for several weeks because of a delay in getting the money. In the end I accepted a set (more or less) of KTL books instead. I had written to RTC and said they could give me a bag of dog shit and I would agree it was worth $500 but *Get me out of here now!*. It was my physical collapse after working through a couple of days and nights in a row that prompted the actual release from custody.

I had several credit cards (proper ones) I had collected while in the SO :) so didn't need the cash to live on.

Paul

7. Poofy

Poofy Patron with Honors

Thank you for the link, Mick. I am reading it now.

8. Ladybird

Ladybird Silver Meritorious Patron

LBV is 100% correct. I was dropped off at the bus station in the middle of the night with nothing but the clothes on my back, nowhere to go, no one to call and nothing to eat. I weighed 103 pounds, which was like 35 pounds underweight. My family was shocked.

I called family I had not spoken to in over 10 years, and got a ticket home. I've paid them back a hundred times over, but that moment in the greyhound station haunts me to this very day, and I have and will take in sea org members and help them start their lives over.

I have seen former execs from the Sea Org wandering homeless around big blue. They are not allowed to even attend events because they are "OUT PR" and "DBs" (degraded beings).

The cult has a new thing called a "provisional or probational declare" where the person has to do not only A to E but also an impossible personal program to get back in good standing even as a public.

Usually when some one is offloaded it is because of a "Fitness Board" turndown meaning that they are too old or sick to be useful.

Nowadays, for legal reasons, the cult does give offloads 500 dollars in exchange for signing non-disclosure agreements, but as you can imagine these payments are not high on the FP (financial planning) priorities. I have heard many stories of people being forced to wait in the RPFs RPF for months waiting for FP to approve this payment even after they have voiced their desire to leave and completed the routing form.

Scientology makes me sick. This cult has to be exposed and made to stop breaking the law, commiting human rights abuses and harming people.

Ladybird

9. Kathy (ImOut)

Kathy (ImOut) Gold Meritorious Patron

Here are the 2 stories I know about:
    One couple that had been in the SO for 20+ years were offloaded when the wife needed a bunch of dental work. They were trying to get just her to go, but keep the husband since he was a money maker (Reg). Well, they both left.

My daughter was "swept" as I was told. Basically, too many teenagers in the SO that don't want to be there anymore and the security staff is tired of babysitting. So, call the parent(s), as in my case, "come pick up your kid". No, you can bring her to me. No money, no nothing. Just "don't let the door hit you on your way out". No sec check, nothing. (I was told she wasn't in the SO long enough to get a sec check. Wow, when I left mission staff after about 3 months, I got a sec check. You'd think the SO was a bit more serious to leave?) Then the constant threats to me, if she acts up, or we see her on LRH Way, she'll be declared and she won't be allowed to live with you anymore if you want to get up the bridge. My kid was still a minor at the time.

I had numerous calls from Pac Base security. "We just got a report...." Daughter, did you do blah, blah, blah? No. And I loved my calls back to security. "Get your F'g facts straight. Talk to this person and this person and find out what really happened. You can't operate off one report from an SO member that is trying to blow and giving you this data to protect his/her own ass".

Now, why didn't I get out sooner????:duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

10. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

"Offloading" is the term for firing someone from staff.

This is different- but can take place pursuant or simultaneously to being expelled and declared. Or someone can be offloaded without being expelled and declared.

11. Voltaire's Child

Not always true. I've known of some people who were offloaded from Class V org staff without being expelled.

12. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Agreed. It just means getting booted off staff (Class V or SO) without finishing your contract.

Paul

13. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Wow! It sounds like getting a lolly for *not* getting the shot...

Zinj

14. Voltaire's Child

Yes, indeed.

But with all the stuff CofS does to the SO staff, the posts you and LBV and others have written here provide a very valuable perspective. I would guess that there're more offloadings in the SO than elsewhere in CofS.

15. The Oracle

The Oracle Gold Meritorious Patron

The 500.00 is very new.

Before that they were just asked to leave after surrendering their uniforms.

Sometimes they got a ride, my friend's Xwife got dumped on the street in Miami with three small children, no cash. BIG HEARTED HUH?

When I was in I helped people financially to leave so they would not be on the street.

One of them was A woman pregnant with twins who was in Clearwater and had to get back to South Africa!

T.I.

16. The Oracle

The Oracle Gold Meritorious Patron

Those "security" staff were pitiful.

I only saw two that I thought could take me down in a one on one fight between all the AO's and int security staff.

Are you with me? Because this isn't a joke and I wasn't more than 105 pounds in the Sea Org.

t.i.

17. Kathy (ImOut)

Kathy (ImOut) Gold Meritorious Patron

I agree they were/are pitiful. But when you are being threatened to be declared and you don't know any better, you sort of listen to them to some degree.

I'm just a girl and I probably could have taken one or two down. But I was a total tom-boy as a child and have 4 older brothers. You learn how to defend yourself.:yes:

18. riptide

riptide Patron with Honors

I was never on staff, but these accounts absolutely infuriate me. I know others who were on staff, routed out and were not allowed to attend events or be on org premises. Like sub-standard people!

This insane cult has got to come down one way or another.

19. Muhammad

Muhammad Patron

Slavery is alive and well in COS

Being on mission staff and then on public line I never know the crap was this bad. But the whole freeloader debt was a form of indencured slavery. Just imagin going a job at McDonlds. You do a course on every aspect of the jobs. They charge u 600dollar for the french fry couse, 700 for how to flip burger course next thing u quit and u are indebt to them for 14000 dollar. This freeloader shit is crazy and pure slavery. Ron could be an evil bastard.

20. Voltaire's Child

It reminds me of the "I sold my soul to the company store" line in a folk song.

Mining companies used to set up these little towns where the miners would live. They'd have to shop at the company store as it was the only one around and they'd rack up huge bills there then have to work them off, then the longer they worked the more they were there and then would need fresh supplises for which they'd pay inflated prices. It was a vicious circle.