What's new

What is trolling?

AryaZ

Seeking truth and retribution
Sorry, I just meant you were asking for trouble to show you the actual examples. I mean, you'd have more luck asking someone else then her.

Get it? Trouble? Get it? :booze:

On second thought perhaps I'll just bookmark "I told you I was trouble" mean girl attempts at bullying.

Last edited:

AryaZ

deleted by me. Working on not sucking on this board.

Last edited:

AryaZ

The problem with labeling people Trolls and posts to be trolling is obvious to me - it devalues any constructive criticism, dialogue or debate. In itself, Troll-shaming becomes a personal insult. Therefore, I believe it should be prevented and seen as an ad hominem, even if it is a valid criticism.

What I mean is, if someone has an issue with someone "trolling", they should have to actually write out their criticism rather then just calling the person a Troll. actual Trolls and trolling should simply be reported on and dealt with by mum. Sorry, the moderators.
I agree 100%.

Instantly labeling someone a troll, OSA, or a plant whom you disagree with or simply don't like is tantamount to the culture in COS where if you dared to criticize or report an outness of an "upstat" or high ranking executive, you where automatically suspected of having OW's, crimes, out-ethics, open-minded, etc and ordered to costly sec checking or to write up your OW's.

If you dared to venture outside the organization's bubble to seek other opinions or data, you
ran the risk of being labeled Suppressive.

IMO, it's a method used to keep people from seeking truth and actually "thinking for themselves" all the while proclaiming to be freedom of thought activists.

And the peer pressure method isn't unique to COS. It's all through history. It's seen in politics, school, religions,
sports organizations, and even internet forums. I think all groups are susceptible to it, especially if there is some potential benefit.

He-man

Hero extraordinary
I agree 100%.

Instantly labeling someone a troll, OSA, or a plant whom you disagree with or simply don't like is tantamount to the culture in COS where if you dared to criticize or report an outness of an "upstat" or high ranking executive, you where automatically suspected of having OW's, crimes, out-ethics, open-minded, etc and ordered to costly sec checking or to write up your OW's.

If you dared to venture outside the organization's bubble to seek other opinions or data, you
ran the risk of being labeled Suppressive.

IMO, it's a method used to keep people from seeking truth and actually "thinking for themselves" all the while proclaiming to be freedom of thought activists.

And the peer pressure method isn't unique to COS. It's all through history. It's seen in politics, school, religions,
sports organizations, and even internet forums. I think all groups are susceptible to it, especially if there is some potential benefit.
Yup! Damn right!

Many reasons I think Troll shaming should be done away with completely. It's as valuable as trying to explain everything you see around you in polarizing social constructs, the may have the benefit of making something easy to explain/see, but taken to an extreme they simplify what is actually happening to a point of silliness.

He-man

Hero extraordinary
I guess, "I told you I was trouble" decided to block or ingnore me.
I guess she likes to hit and run.
Ah she's grand, don't worry about it. The manners and form can be a bit tough at times on ESMB but at the end it's just a bit of banter. That's how I see it anyways, besides, she did make a yuge disclaimer when she chose her name. :D

AryaZ

True ... I was a bit rude, but it seemed to me that she was trying to stir up 3 day old drama for some reason, and I'm totally sick of drama TBH.

I apologise @AryaZ ... I may have been a bit over-sensitive.

:)

Is there a time limit protocol on ESMB for responding to threads (that I should be aware of) so as not to be considered a stirrer of drama, @I told you I was trouble ?

AryaZ

True ... I was a bit rude, but it seemed to me that she was trying to stir up 3 day old drama for some reason, and I'm totally sick of drama TBH.

I apologise @AryaZ ... I may have been a bit over-sensitive.

:)
Perhaps I should just chalk it up to my initiation phase and you're the hazing IC.

God help any under-the-radar Scientologist who lands on ESMB looking for answers.

He-man

Hero extraordinary
Perhaps I should just chalk it up to my initiation phase and you're the hazing IC.

God help any under-the-radar Scientologist who lands on ESMB looking for answers.
Not sure what a hazing IC is. I recommend smelling the roses and blowing the porridge whenever you feel like you're being jumped though. :)

God help anyone who starts posting on ESMB! May the force be with them and keep them! It's not an easy thing to do.

:tobed:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

This isn't directed at you, AryaZ.

We used to have a "Be nice to the newbies" rule. Sometimes it got followed. Sometimes some poor noob got really pounded, accused of being OSAOSAOSA incessantly, and left disheartened (I assume).

So a general reminder, to myself as well, please be nice to the newbies.

Paul

freethinker

Sponsor

Your forming opinions on other posters clearly exits you from the newbie stage, IMO. There is a history for Alanzo on the board which is available in his message profile if you really want to know why she made the comment she did.

Because you weren't here during that period it may look awkward to see a post like she made but now you want her to defend the reason she made the post.

Essentially you are speaking for Alanzo and defending him based on recent history. There is a past and some are reminded of it when they see similar posts in the present.

One stays away from hornets nests not because they are certain of being stung today, but because they were stung in the past and remember what happened.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Is there a time limit protocol on ESMB for responding to threads (that I should be aware of) so as not to be considered a stirrer of drama, @I told you I was trouble ?
Emma, for instance, is presently stirring up 10 year old drama, and before.

No, there is no such rule. Trouble just needed to pull an excuse out of her knickers so her nastiness appeared justified.

Dotey OT

Cyclops Duck of the North - BEWARE

@AryaZ this is a good point. I've been mostly quietly watching the events of the past weeks and that has been on my mind.

I first landed on this board, as it seemed safe (If you don't understand what I mean by this, don't suppose or accuse me) compared to others. And what I mean by this, it seemed that newly out people were welcomed and treated well, there was a very wide range of topics for digestion, things made sense and contributed to furthering my journey being newly out. It has been a great help.

I have an opinion about the recent ramblings, and it's good to see it properly articulated by others much smarter and much more eloquently stated than I ever could. I got that idea several years ago when "shopping" for real data on the interwebs.

But, what this must look like to anyone newly out. Would it be as inviting? Anyone shopping would stop here now?

I know that I looked over the Someone's Got to be... blog*, and did not stick around because of this avenue of belief. It was not right for me. No confusions on this.

Statistics. I wonder whether traffic as been any different here. Less new people more? Other traffic patterns? What is going on in the background ere? Anything or business as usual?

I have also reflected on a few things. I don't like the ad hom. That isn't me, and I have been guilty of that. I have justified it by reducing myself to the seriousness, veracity, respect that I have viewed those that I have attacked deserve. Oops. My bad.

Kudos to those that have intelligently sifted through the crap, and have shown it for what it is.

BUT, it is a good thing to have a thorough open discussion about important topics associated with what we all went through.

People will be people. They have all the things going on that can be going on with people. Makes like interesting!!

Like the delusional street person proselytizing on the street corner (An analogy only), you don't have to stop and listen if you want.

* Edit "Answerer of Questions Posed..."

Last edited: