What's new

What to do if you decide to leave Scientology

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
2) If you work with scientologists, realize that your job will be likely threatened or lost if you leave. Prepare for this. Spiff up your resume. Start shopping it around about a month before you go. Don't worry about what sort of job you'll get, too much. Take something solid that allows you to pay your bills and live independently of any supports in the Church. Consider writing to someone on this forum and asking for their help finding a good job. This is a huge network, and someone here probably knows someone near you that is hiring. It's worth a shot, and people who post here will understand the extremity or difficulties you face.

It is illegal for them to fire you because you left the church. That is discrimination. It is as if they fire you becasue you are Jewish...illegal.

Before you leave make sure you have good job reviews or good job stats etc, have records if possible. Maybe ask for a review if your job does that sort of thing. If you are rellay good ask for a raise. If you work on commission then have your stats (and the stats of others)If you get it and they fire you afterwards then you really have them

If it were me, I would explain that on the job I won't discuss Scientology, I will simply do my job. If you want to protest Scientology in your spare time they can not legally do anything about that.

If they fire you sue them. Labor laws are quite often on the side of the worker.

But don't just quit or let them fire you.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
It is illegal for them to fire you because you left the church. That is discrimination. It is as if they fire you becasue you are Jewish...illegal.

Before you leave make sure you have good job reviews or good job stats etc, have records if possible. Maybe ask for a review if your job does that sort of thing. If you are rellay good ask for a raise. If you work on commission then have your stats (and the stats of others)If you get it and they fire you afterwards then you really have them

If it were me, I would explain that on the job I won't discuss Scientology, I will simply do my job. If you want to protest Scientology in your spare time they can not legally do anything about that.

If they fire you sue them. Labor laws are quite often on the side of the worker.

But don't just quit or let them fire you.

Well, first off, these Scno operations are probably smaller employers. A Chiropractor with 5 employees doesn't have to follow the same laws as a large corporation. I would have to look up the exact number of employees that these laws kick in, but not all employers have to play by the same rules.

Second of all, I don't know how likely it would be for an employer to say that they are firing you because you left the Co$. More likely they will find some pretext to sack you once they find out you left. Mrs. Jones said you were rude to her over the phone. Pack it up.

Finally, litigation is really really really really expensive. No matter how just your cause, paying rent will have to be a priority.

I'm not saying that you're wrong. Just that this isn't going to be a realistic way to deal with the problem for someone who is broke and just out of the sea org.

Jacki Edwards

I have successfully been out of the C of S since 1984. Times have changed and I no longer recognise nor connect with much that is going on.
But for those that are thinking about leaving: the old cliched saying that there is life after The C of S is so true.
Sorting out the logistics is the challenge: having nowhere to go, no money etc is very hard indeed...so this article is great.
The threats, KR's, freeloader bills, declarations etc are really meaningless. The knowledge, case gains and wins do not disappear when you close the door on the C of S.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Dear members and lurkers. Please take a few moments to read gomorrhan's (Kevin Brady's) terrific post starting this thread, along with subsequent replies... Of course, any additions to this thread, whether by comment, or link to other helpful threads would be most appreciated.

What to do if you decide to leave Scientology Post #1
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?7519-What-to-do-if-you-decide-to-leave-Scientology

I believe this will be helpful for anyone who is thinking about leaving Scientology or has mentally decided they want no more but are not sure how to go about severing ties without problems and disconnection issues. This is also helpful for those wanting to help others leave Scientology.

The disconnection issue was a major thorn in Kevin's life for quite a number of years. It was heartbreaking situation, where the consequences of disconnection and fair game were swift and relentless. Having had time to reflect on how things could have been different, from experience and observation on what has helped others he offers his post and this thread to help others prevent heartache he and others have been put through for lack of not being able to plan before the hammer hit the nail on disconnection.

For some background on what he was going through, I suggest reading this thread here:
Disconnection: "you're just another person to me"

Last I heard, Kevin has since been reunited with both his children, who are young adults now( correct me if I am wrong, Kevin.) His post and this thread were considered so important that a blog called Church of Scientology Exit Zone was created, which included Kevin's post. I suggest everyone bookmark it. The description of it is called "A microblog for summarizing ongoing projects, events and resources for helping former members cope with leaving the Church of Scientology.
http://cofsexit.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-to-do-if-you-decide-to-leave.html

170769.jpg

:biggrin:

Last edited: