ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Who is Gunther Laws?

Discussion in 'Leaks - Emails, Promo, Insider Info' started by Outethicsofficer, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Thanks very much for sharing your and your father's stories with us Mike.

Zinj

2. Mike Laws

Mike Laws Patron Meritorious

Panda!!!

Damn, isn't it a small world! I had to tell my sister that we were in touch, she said that you were always such a really nice person, she loved visiting you and watching you work, in fact remembers these visits as among her few best pleasurable times when in the SO at 14/15 years old. In fact, she still has, uses and enjoys some of your products today.

She also recalled how much you helped Gunther at Flag, when few had the patience for him, trying to get through his SOLO NOTS course for the umpteenth time.

In our book, you are amongst the best of the eggs we came across in Scientology.

I truly hope you have an abundance of pleasure, good friends and success in your life. You deserve it.

Mike.

3. Mike Laws

Kevin,

Thanks for your kind note.

It is really difficult to comprehend, unless you lived it, the disapointment that came from how the organization has used and abused the complete loyalty and trust that so many had in the technology, philosophy and LRH.

I vaguely recall your name, but don't know that we ever met. Your middle name though seems to ring true as to the sort we would have enjoyed hanging out with!

Mike

4. Mike Laws

on Hubbard

As with many old timers, my father had dozens if not over a hundred letters from Hubbard and other original "artifacts" from the era such as tape recordings, etc. Around the turn of the mileneum, the Church made a major push to collect up all original letters and documents from hubbard. Lots of these were in Melbourne, and to my knowledge, not one cent was paid for them ... they were just given a thanks or commendation.

Gunther was proud of these, occasionally going through them, they made him feel as though he had a special place in the Scientology universe.

The only knowing untruth I ever heard gunther make was saying that these pieces were lost (well his office was pretty messy), and he may have some moral support in holding the position that the church can't take your posessions.

As I write and recall, the conduct of the organization towards him and others was a completely one sided and usuary one, it was everyones role to support the orgainziation, and help was only standardly received when it was directly paid for or exchanged for, with no guarantee as to the quality, quantity of help.

In saying that, I do believe there are many good and decent people that have been and are on staff, but they are so hamstrung by the culture of the organization that their best efforts and intentions are often little more than hollow words.

I really wonder if it is even possible for good people to do geniunly good things within the culture and management of the organization today.

5. Mike Laws

Coresponding here and hooking up with old friends has been very much a blast from the past, bringing to the surface long forgotten or buried memories.

My sister would love to hook up with an old friend, Kristin Rogers, who was a teenager with her in the Sea Org/FOLO ANZO in the early 80s. If anyone is aware of her current location or contact information, would love to connect them up.

I have heard that conditions in the Sea Org in Australia have greatly deteriorated, and am curious as to how. Honestly I can't imagine anything much worse than what we went through in the early 80's, lentils and old potatoes, slug infestations of the kitchens and bathrooms so severe that if walked across the floor at night bare foot, you would step on so many they would squich up between your toes. Major cockroach infestations, everywhere, kitchens and birthing areas, I remember going home to visit my parents as a teen, one of only three leaves in over a decade, my mother screamed as she opened my bag and cockroaches escaped!

Later birthing in redfern, walking through that damn park with all the addicts and alchoholics and homeless people, having to walk in groups fro safety ... and the bats in the fig trees!

Mark Harris, the Mauri guy who had never cooked anything before and was made the cook as punishment (more so to the rest of the SO crew), and I remember us trying to do something nice for the crew by making "hamburgers" our of lentils, mashed up, and then when we couldn't make it stick, stealing someones ice cream out of the freezer, melting it and mixing it in as "glue". Fried lentils and melted ice cream, yum ... no one guessed, and we got lots of compliments on that meal!

Picking slugs and cutting off moldy parts of the vegitables before we cooked them. Someone (don't remember who), poisoning half the crew with Baygon, spraying down the counters between the open trays of food to chase off the cockroaches ...

That old van we had, when I was working in the galley, to deliver food ... the doors didn't lock, so we either had to hold them shut as we drove down the road, or use a bungi cord if we could find one.

Litterally a dollar or few dollars a week pay, for months, even years on end. I think my pay the first year or two was less than $150 PA. One day I seem to recall us signing for our "pay" on sheets of toilet paper, to save money. I remember stealing toilet paper from public toilets for personal use or to bring back to the FOLO, people sharing their stashes of TP. Women wiping out the whole weeks supply of TP, not being able to afford personal hygene products, rolling their own tampons.

Tell me it wasn't worse than this!!

I also remember some of us rebel types becoming minor heros in our birthing building by figuring out how to raid the local dairy in the middle of the night, jumping the fence and pulling cases of yoghurt out of the dumpsters that has passed the expirery dates. Despite the circumstnaces, it was still the best tasting yogurt I recall in my life, amazing how desperation and hunger can heighten the sensations! Amazing, feeling a hero for raiding dumpsters behind a locked gate!!!

Wow!

My sister and I were very lucky, because Gunther and Erika always made sure we had enough money for personal hygene products, a few dollars in our pocket, we were considered "rich" by most.

6. supafreak

supafreak Patron Meritorious

Welcome, Mike, and thank you for sharing your father's story. Yes, please do forward them to Nick Xenophon!

7. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

G'day Mike, thanks for setting things straight, and for sharing how it was. :)

I'm really happy to see you speaking out, and to see you here........I believe that it'll be beneficial not only to you but to many! :thumbsup:

Welcome, welcome, welcome! :cheers:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  8. Auditor's Toad

Auditor's Toad Clear as Mud

Mike, thank you for laying it out. Many us relate ......and cry.

9. AnonyMary

AnonyMary Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Thanks for sharing all of this with us, Mike. You did Gunther proud!

I'm really sorry the CoS had been harassing you. Can you give us an update?

Mary

10. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Gold Meritorious Patron

Some may not have noticed but this thread is a year old. But thanks for bumping it. I missed it last year and it's well worth the read.

Interesting comment about the Melbourne Ideal Org fudging their zoning so they didn't have to comply with parking spots for their intended use.

11. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

Yep, a year old and 5 days after Nick X made his address in the Senate when a lot of other things in life were missed..........Sometimes I'm a little slow at catching up, but better late than never! :coolwink:

12. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

Bump. This is a thread about Mike Laws' dad, Gunther Laws -- well worth reading by others (like me) who missed it the first time around.

13. Lurker5

Lurker5 Gold Meritorious Patron

14. AnonyMary

15. Outethicsofficer

Outethicsofficer Silver Meritorious Patron

Hi Mary, I was the OP and became well aware of the answer to my question in the OP "Who is Gunther Laws?".

My post was tongue in check at the time and soon found out there was a lot to know about Gunther, Mike did his father proud in posting about him in the way he has. In the course of things I did recall that I had met Gunther a long time ago but at the time of posting I hadn't connected the name.

James

16. Outethicsofficer

Bump

Bumped in support of Mike Laws...as we are both OSA operatives.
    James

17. AnonyMary

:omg:James, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to imply others should'nt read what you wrote..... on the contrary, your OP gave me many chuckles!

I posted here last because Mike's posts here had comments that were being referred to in another thread and I was just posting his comments in one place for those coming over here to find them.

I had already posted the OP link in an earlier post on that thread but it seemed that the info needed to be repeated.

18. Outethicsofficer

Mary, it's fine, thanks.
    James