ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Will Alex Gibney do another film about Scientology?

Discussion in 'Movies, Plays, and Documentaries about Scientology' started by CommunicatorIC, Mar 11, 2015.

1. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Will Alex Gibney do another film about Scientology?

I do not want to oversell the comment emphasized below. In any event, the following blog post by Raging Buddha really is a must read. Very powerful, insightful and poignant.

Please, read it in full.

Raging Buddha: Alex Gibney’s #GoingClear Documentary cut me to the bone

http://ragingbuddha.net/movies/alex-gibneys-goingclear-documentary-cut-me-to-the-bone/#comment-5621

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

[​IMG]

Having grown up in Scientology I was steeling myself to see on the big screen the hard truths about my former religion. I knew that there would be things that would make me uncomfortable and some that might make me laugh so I was ready for it all.

My mother and I arrived at LACMA just before 4pm. . . . .

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

But the truth is I am constantly reminded of the church. In my frequent nightmares. In all of them I am there. Trapped in my old job trying to do everything differently but still ending up with the same terrible results. Often I wake suddenly in a panic, covered in sweat. It takes a moment but I realize I am at home, in bed with my husband and I am alright.

So I say to you, dear people, who didn’t live through the absolute insanity that is Scientology, to those of you who haven’t had to claw your way out of a seemingly endless abyss, kicking and screaming, fighting for your sanity and sometimes losing all your friends and family in the process, kindly, don’t judge. You weren’t there. You don’t know what it is like. You didn’t live it. You haven’t lost decades of your life to a cult. You didn’t maim yourself doing 16 hours a day of slave labor. Be kind. Be helpful. Be there for people who were. They need your help and your patience. They are like newborns, coming into the real world for the first time and they need your love.

I spoke with both Lawrence Wright and Alex Gibney after the film to thank them both for doing this. I asked Alex if he would consider making another film about people like me, born into Scientology, one of the few who did sign that billion year contract and worked for the church and spent time on the RPF and escaped. He said that he was hearing so many stories that there was definitely another movie there. So wait for it folks, the whole story may come out. Hopefully I can get a few minutes of screen time to tell mine.

Attached Files:

2. oneonewasaracecar

oneonewasaracecar Gold Meritorious Patron

Holy shit! It hasn't had a full release yet and we are now all wetting our pants over the sequel.

That review is really powerful as well. Definitely worth reading.

It surprised me that Raging Buddha was photographed by the people in front of him for disseminating the truth. It shouldn't surprise me, that's what OSA does.

It just seemed creepier than usual to be photographing someone in a dark cinema.

I can imagine what the never-ins were thinking while the person they were talking to was being photographed by OSA for daring to have an honest conversation. How does OSA still not get how this looks?

3. pebbles

pebbles Patron with Honors

I just spent my morning reading the conversations in the comment section there and wow- so many good ones.
    So many.
    Indeed, a good to read. Thanks for the link.

4. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

5. koki

koki Silver Meritorious Patron

yes.:coolwink:

6. exscio

exscio New Member

I think that the film was really great, but I don't know that another one would be so beneficial. If one film can't convince you, why would two?

7. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

We here don't generally need convincing.

Possibly senators etc may need further convincing re IRS
    tax excemption.

Gibney seems keen on this.

Me too.

8. Gib

Gib Crusader

number of times over = certainty. Or repetition. :thumbsup:

No clears, no OT's, no soul astronauts.

Don't forget Hubbard said Dianetics and Scientology are new NEWS for people, so he said keep repeating the message, which the COS does via letters out, phone calls, PR, marketing, etc.

On the same token, it's new NEWS that there are no clears, OT's or soul astronauts. Just got to keep repeating the message in lieu of anecdotal success stories.

9. Hypatia

Hypatia Pagan

Because we human beings are dumb as shit, that's why.

One report, one critical book, one great article, one great blog- those get lost in the shuffle. Plus, da cherch's always bombarding the public with their propaganda. And you get people who just came of age and got approached at college, or just found out about Scientology.

Also, there're often new events to discuss.

So, yeah, we do need all the quality books, films, documentaries, blogs and articles that can come out.

10. Gib

Gib Crusader

Whistle Blowers Unite. :thumbsup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistleblower

The crowd works in both ways. :thumbsup:

and, of course, sec checks and the Truth Rundown auditing explained by Bruce Hines, are a means of stopping. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjbt9gVFIX8