What's new

working for a Scientology-run business?

guanoloco

As-Wased
You have nothing to worry about - you're psych meds = you're going nowhere with and in Scientology - even if you wanted to.

Have fun with it...contact Discovery channel or something and make a documentary called "Working in Scientology" or something. Buy a little camera pen that fits in your pocket - these things can film all day long with perfect video and audio. Make a diary with it. After you're done working there post it online. Of course, check with your State laws regarding such recording.

Do not do anything illegal or get ingratiated to them with anything, such as a loan or something.

Non-competes are as effective as a sieve is when bailing a sinking ship, at least in the seven States I'm familiar with. As long as you don't take their secret Colonel's recipe or client list or client accounts or something...you know, proprietary or out-right owned property, you should be fine.

I had a former employee quit and start their own biz. They took my database and vendor list/contacts. I've got a family member that is an FBI agent. He pushed it to the top and nothing was done.

You already know it's a cult so you're immune.

Hell, you've got a good paying job in this economy? You kiddin' me? When in Rome...

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't know, has your friend experienced religious discrimination? In my world religion class last term I had an amazing interview with Muslim as part of an assignment. I chose to interview someone I knew from other classes...and what he has gone through has been horrible. He has been basically 'disconnected' from by Christian family members when he converted. If someone has been through that sort of thing, and knows nothing about cults...then, it could be just reaction to that. Also, I know people on the "left" who are so into making sure they are tolerant and that others are also tolerant, that they are uncomfortable with and jump on anything that even has a scent of discrimination.

The other possibility is that your roomie is a a closet Scientologist. Stranger things have happened.....

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
Regarding my roommate, I really don't know what his deal is. He seems to think that I'm turning this into a much bigger problem than it actually is. Telling me that I was acting like a "radical anti-Muslim" really angered me, and when I told him that I was thinking of quitting, he really did everything in his power to make me consider otherwise. I think, Scientology aside, this would be a great job. It pays very well, better than I could have even asked, and perhaps his anger stems from the fact that I'm currently sleeping in his room while I try to find a job and then we're moving out of the house he's been living in?

He also knows that I had doubts about this place from the get-go and he's been making fun of me for the amount of research I'm doing. I think he thinks I'm purposefully freaking myself out for whatever reason (I have a semi-history of doing things to sabotage myself, but on the other hand, if I'm doing more and more research and finding more and more shit, that's a legit problem).

Would he rather me fall into the hands of a cult?
\

HUH? Radical anti-muslim? That's the weirdest insult I ever heard, except perhaps if it came from a radical muslim. I'm going to add that to my arsenal of pointed insults.

Maybe you should lose the room-mate too. I wouldn't want to live with someone who belittles me and feels free to poke their nose into my business. Maybe he got a commission from the company to recruit you?

If it were me, my first priority would be to find another job and then another place to live. Once I was established, I would then think about other things I might want to do, but the need for income and shelter would be top of my list. I also wouldn't want to be burdened with an obligation to someone whose values I didn't share.

Up to you, though ... money ain't everything.

LongTimeGone

Welcome.

Your room mate is no help at all and seems very opinionated about something of which he apparently knows nothing.

I'd take the money while its coming in, sign nothing and refuse any course they insist you complete.

In the mean time look for another job.

In my opinion thay have an ulterior motive and that is to eventually get you hooked on Scientology.

LTG

Reasonable

There isn't anything to be afraid of. If you like the job and get paid well and get good experience then do that job until you get something better. I think a lot of the organizational courses are good they help me to run my business which is successful.

I think the administrative courses in scientology are the best part of scientology.

However chances are they will work you til you drop and pay you as little as possible. maybe not, all scientologists are not the same.

On the other hand you will learn discipline.

If you do not want to become a Scientologist then don't. All they really want is to make money. So if they make money and you make money work there.

I have a good friend who runs full on Scientology run businesses and most of their employees are not scientologsits. They really don't care they just want you to produce. Sure they talk scientology a lot but they don't make you an outcast if you are not in

They won't fire you if you make money for them and if you are happy with your money then all is well.

If they do not promote you then go somehwere else, just like in any other job.

All jobs are a 2 way street.

If they force you to take scientology courses then sue them. They can make you take the business courses, that is legal. Again I think those courses are good.

One reason they would want you to take a scientology business course on communication more so than a business course on comminucation is because the Scientology course will cost them $100 and if you did it as a business course it will cost them $500. And yes they would like to convert you.

If you are worried about the "ethics" then read the ethics book and make up your own mind if you think any of it can be helpful.

I think a lot of it is helpful, the problem to me is the morons who enforce it. that is where it all goes wrong

Document everything.

Most non compete contracts are illigal.

If they made you sign something that says that the training you get is worth $10,000 and you need to pay that back if you don't last a year... that won't hold up in court either. This is a classic Scientology move.

If they try somehting like that I would not take the job even though you would win in court it isn't worth the guilt because you will feel that you went against your word even though the contract is against the law it just isn't a good way to start a relationship.

No one will brain wash you if you don't let them. Look at all your options and pick the best one.

Every situation has good and bad, whatever job you take make the most out of it.

pollywannacracker

Patron Meritorious
PD48-

Just ran across this post.

Having worked in Scn run businesses before, it's all a catch 22.

The business aspect MAY be no diferent than in any non-scn business. That aspect is to provide high quality goods/services in exchange for money. and of course, the higher the gross income, the better off the business. The management tech, to me, was the least invasive of all Scn courses. I had great wins on the business tech.

Now, the flip side, in the scn run businesses the I have been involved with, is to also RECRUIT potential new members to the Co$ and to flow ever more money into the Co$ by the way of new recruits and/or from the business coffers.

This is where it gets tricky. Legally, there is to be no religion crammed down anyone's throat. Google I-20 Animal Medical Center and see the EEOC lawsuit brought forward by several employees. Stephen Kent wrote this up. The suit was settled, but it nearly brought down WISE. The employer was told to settle by the Co$. :omg:

However, if the company you work for keeps their courses strictly management courses and no mission or scn org courses are brought in (or you are sent to work on them), it should all be legal and clean. Until the recruitment tactics start.

So here is now the non-scn in a scn business tends to fare (from what I have personally seen). If you are neutral to the subject of Scn, AND you produce and bring in the profits, you tend to safe and left alone. However, if you object to Scn (actions speak louder than words here), you WILL have problems and you WILL be routed out regardless of whether or not you bring in the profits. See where I am getting at?

You are in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with how you are feeling on this. You can only hide your feelings for so long.

I once knew a non-scn employee who uttered something to a manager in my presence which was also sort of like something LRH had once said not to say. This employee didn't know any better, just something that wog's tend to say along the lines of "more important fish to fry..." The next thing that happened was that this employee was hyper-scrutinized, documented against and then sent packing. As a good Scn, I hate myself now that I assisted with this too, but I understand the offense I took of the statement at the time.

It sounds as if the company already has financial issues. This may or may not be due to Scn. BUT, the Harlingen dental suit in Texas and the Rex Fowler murder in Colorado should not be thought of as exceptions. Money was funneled to Scn in all the scn business that I worked in. And in one instance this created HUGE financial stress for the company.

My recommendation would be to get out as soon as possible - before the proverbial sh*t hits the fan. find another job and then bail nicely. Their contract will probably not hold up in court. And you certainly do not want to be on the receiving end of the wrath of a scientologist for "doing them wrong".

PM me if you'd like.

All my best,

-PWC

I would had never joined Scientology had I not been hired at a company ran by Scientologists. I didn't know what COS was at the time, other than seeing a volcano commercial late at night eating pizza, and flippin the channel on my remote.

I ended up at that company a long time, over 10 years, and they used all the graphs, stats, Hubbards stat system, central files, books, and still managed to crash the company twice.

Everyone who worked there felt imprisoned. Due to the micro-managing style of statistics and how much emphasis and stress it puts on you to produce. At meetings you had to hold up your graph, and were booed if it was low or clapped at if it was up. Utterly embarassing.

My advice is to leave but it's up to you. I knew people who worked at my old company for almost 15 years, never joining the COS, despite the owners being Scientologists. Each situation is different.

MrCognitions Ruling: Leave

theJB

Patron
Hello.

I realize that this is a bit different from most of the posts on this board (and certainly this board's initial purpose) but I've been surfing the web and haven't found another message board that seems to be as helpful as this one may be.

Long story short, for all the tl;drs, I was recently hired at a business that is Scientologist-run and -operated and it's causing me a great deal of stress, trying to figure out whether I should run from the business or whether it's something that I will be able to deal with.)

You have your answer right there, 'causing me a great deal of stress.' Get out while you still have a brain to call your own. I've been an 'outside observer' all my life as I had friends and relatives in the organization. It never helped any of them in any noticeable way and harmed some severely causing lasting damage, i.e. discernible, definable mental instability.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Your tl:dr story is alarming. Get out now.

Naturally, it is the intent of any business to make money, but the $cn-worship of the G.I. stat is so ridiculous that the business is likely to fail in the long run.

I'm aware of several businesses "discreetly" owned by Scientologists, and they have all collapsed.

I think you have already decided you want out, but you're probably hesitating over the surety of employment. Any financial discomfort suffered in the short term while finding a new job will in no way compare to the amount of damage that will be sustained if you get any further entangled.

ndawg1994

Hello.

I realize that this is a bit different from most of the posts on this board (and certainly this board's initial purpose) but I've been surfing the web and haven't found another message board that seems to be as helpful as this one may be.

Long story short, for all the tl;drs, I was recently hired at a business that is Scientologist-run and -operated and it's causing me a great deal of stress, trying to figure out whether I should run from the business or whether it's something that I will be able to deal with.

I recently moved to a new city and found a job online. I came in, took an aptitude/IQ/personality test, and they offered me a job position much higher than the one the ad was for. I took it, thinking that this would be a way to get my foot in the door, so to speak. I have no experience in the field the job position is for, but the tests, which I passed with flying colors, made my friends think that they were willing to give me a shot.

My job allows me insight into the financial aspect of the business and the way it's run. On my first day, I was shown one of the guys' offices, where L. Ron Hubbard books line every single bookshelf. I figured the guy whose office it was was a Scientologist, but didn't think much else of it.

Something has always felt "off" about this job. I don't like how they handle their finances, it isn't professional to me, and they treat some of their customers like absolute crap. I decided to give it a go, however.

The more I learned, the more I realized that it wasn't just the guy who was a Scientologist—it's the owner as well. They're running the business on Scientologist ethics which makes me worry a bit as I'm not a Scientologist and really feel like working for a business where a religion that is not my own is mixed with the business is not something I should be doing. I will never belong unless I convert, and if my timeline is correct, there are people who have moved up in the business—but after they're converted.

I've found out that new employees have "mandatory courses" although the S-word is never dropped, and sitting in on some staff meetings, the whole atmosphere is one soaked in Scientology. One guy took a newspaper away from a new trainee and told her it was "trash" and his life has been better once he stopped reading things like that. The owner, himself, has apparently achieved the "clear" level so it's obvious he's pretty serious about it.

All of the tests being administered are, you guessed it, the Oxford Capacity Analysis test and others. These are the sole tests being used to screen new employees. Resumes, in my experience, aren't even really looked at.

I'm new to the area, no family/few friends, and they've asked me enough personal questions to know that I did not grow up in a religious household, which seemed to visibly please the owner. On the "how likely are you to be recruited to a cult" scale (any cult, really, including religious groups that might not necessarily be cults but have some cultish tendencies), I'd be pretty high up on the list, considering I'm at a crossroads in my life.

Some of my friends keep telling me that I'm strong enough to work there without falling into the doctrine, but I'm not so sure. For one thing, I'm mentally unstable, looking to get back on psych meds, and if the anti-psychiatry bent is true, if they find out, they might shame me for it—which I really can't deal with. (They have already shamed me for various other things, like my diet, and made comments like, "Well, we'll get you eating better." They've also made comments about how the people I'm currently living with "don't really matter." Um, thanks?)

I've done some googling, and discovered a review of the place that claims their friend quit after they started pushing him to join Scientology. They're pushy, and a lot of people think that while the business might be legit, it is also a way for them to introduce the doctrine, get you interested, and then try to sell you on the religion. They are also extremely money-focused, to the point where they're constantly making comments about it, and it makes me uncomfortable.

I guess my mind is pretty made up to quit the job because it isn't sitting well with me, it's in an industry I don't care for, and it's causing me a lot of anxiety and depression.

Already, I feel too well-versed in Scientology just from a couple of weeks of working there to feel comfortable. Since I've been yay-saying the whole time, they've been pushing me, subtly, even further. Most of the people I've met are either related to the owner or close friends, or new. I don't feel comfortable asking anyone whether or not they're a Scientologist, and I don't know if any answer would make me feel more comfortable, since the business is being run based on Scientology, with an owner who is connected to the Church. I also know that people have been promoted once they convert. I know from reading some people's experiences that it starts out this way: very subtle things that are easily agreeable with (come on, I eat dictionaries for breakfast, so telling me about "misunderstood" words sits perfectly fine and logically with me) and then proceeds into the stickier stuff.

But I was wondering if anyone has any experience working with a Scientology-owned and -operated business and the level of proselytizing done at a certain point? Can I honestly expect to work here and not be preached to, or pressured into Scientology, or shamed for things? Is this something that I really should be wary of? ...

Hello this post extremely alarmed me |> I am going through the same exact thing> The secretly recruited us behind our back and give us reg tests and personality test as well> they things is that they hide it from us. We found out in the mail we personally received and saw that all our tests and training books say L ron Hubbard. They are so shady about it and i believe its illegal to mix religion with a buisness. they are aslo very money hungry and do not accept insurance. its crazy how much your post reached out to me. Find another job as i am doing the same

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hello.

Long story short, for all the tl;drs, I was recently hired at a business that is Scientologist-run and -operated and it's causing me a great deal of stress, trying to figure out whether I should run from the business or whether it's something that I will be able to deal with.<snip>

Hello. I worked within the Church of Scientology for 23 years until 1996. I worked for Scientologist-owned/run businesses in Los Angeles from then until 2003.

Short answer: leave ASAP and find another job, not necessarily in that order. :)

Why? Culture gap. Scientologists usually don't tolerate non-Scientologists well and you will be pressured to become one, overtly or covertly. If you are VERY unfortunate you will become one! It's not that there is nothing good about Scientology — if that was the case no-one would stay in it and put up with all the crap for decades — but overall it will suck the life out of you, financially and morally.

EDIT: One company I worked for in LA was David Morse & Associates. All the "technical" staff (Insurance Claims Adjusters and Investigators) and the executives were Scientologists. There were a bunch of "admin" support staff like telephonists who were almost all non-Scientologists, and that worked out OK with the Scios not hitting on (so to speak) the non-Scios.

Paul

Last edited:

George Layton

You have taken their test, they may have some understanding of what pressure to put upon you to push your buttons or control or persuade you. The more they know about you the more they will have to influence you. Those here on the thread that are saying that the business "tech" is alright to go ahead with, ask them to explain exactly what the steps are of these processes and exactly what their "wins" were. There are those here that can explain any session this employer might want you to take, step by step, so you can see what these processes consist of. Some here on ESMB have written about the hypnotic nature of the "tech" and if some of these, win causing routines, can suck you into the cult you have the right to be aware of them. Some may say this is foolish to believe the routines they are suggesting will pull you into the cult but remember there are people that have lived in a deluded state of mind for decades because they were pulled into this cult.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I recently moved to a new city and found a job online. I came in, took an aptitude/IQ/personality test, and they offered me a job position much higher than the one the ad was for. I took it, thinking that this would be a way to get my foot in the door, so to speak. I have no experience in the field the job position is for, but the tests, which I passed with flying colors, made my friends think that they were willing to give me a shot.

My job allows me insight into the financial aspect of the business and the way it's run. On my first day, I was shown one of the guys' offices, where L. Ron Hubbard books line every single bookshelf. I figured the guy whose office it was was a Scientologist, but didn't think much else of it.

Something has always felt "off" about this job. I don't like how they handle their finances, it isn't professional to me, and they treat some of their customers like absolute crap. I decided to give it a go, however.

As DullOldFart noted, there is no long-term future for a somebody at a Scientologist company, unless he becomes a Scientologist. The best you can probably do is to look for another job while remaining employed at the Scn job until you find something else. Companies tend to prefer candidates who are currently employed rather than unemployed.

At companies you interview with, when they ask you for your reason for wanting to leave, be up front and say "The company owner is pushing me to do Scientology, and it's making me very uncomfortable".

Hello.

Long story short, for all the tl;drs, I was recently hired at a business that is Scientologist-run and -operated and it's causing me a great deal of stress, trying to figure out whether I should run from the business or whether it's something that I will be able to deal with.

The more I learned, the more I realized that it wasn't just the guy who was a Scientologist—it's the owner as well. They're running the business on Scientologist ethics which makes me worry a bit as I'm not a Scientologist and really feel like working for a business where a religion that is not my own is mixed with the business is not something I should be doing. I will never belong unless I convert, and if my timeline is correct, there are people who have moved up in the business—but after they're converted.

I've found out that new employees have "mandatory courses" although the S-word is never dropped, and sitting in on some staff meetings, the whole atmosphere is one soaked in Scientology. One guy took a newspaper away from a new trainee and told her it was "trash" and his life has been better once he stopped reading things like that. The owner, himself, has apparently achieved the "clear" level so it's obvious he's pretty serious about it.

All of the tests being administered are, you guessed it, the Oxford Capacity Analysis test and others. These are the sole tests being used to screen new employees. Resumes, in my experience, aren't even really looked at.

I'm new to the area, no family/few friends, and they've asked me enough personal questions to know that I did not grow up in a religious household, which seemed to visibly please the owner. On the "how likely are you to be recruited to a cult" scale (any cult, really, including religious groups that might not necessarily be cults but have some cultish tendencies), I'd be pretty high up on the list, considering I'm at a crossroads in my life.

Some of my friends keep telling me that I'm strong enough to work there without falling into the doctrine, but I'm not so sure. For one thing, I'm mentally unstable, looking to get back on psych meds, and if the anti-psychiatry bent is true, if they find out, they might shame me for it—which I really can't deal with. (They have already shamed me for various other things, like my diet, and made comments like, "Well, we'll get you eating better." They've also made comments about how the people I'm currently living with "don't really matter." Um, thanks?)

I've done some googling, and discovered a review of the place that claims their friend quit after they started pushing him to join Scientology. They're pushy, and a lot of people think that while the business might be legit, it is also a way for them to introduce the doctrine, get you interested, and then try to sell you on the religion. They are also extremely money-focused, to the point where they're constantly making comments about it, and it makes me uncomfortable.

I guess my mind is pretty made up to quit the job because it isn't sitting well with me, it's in an industry I don't care for, and it's causing me a lot of anxiety and depression.

Already, I feel too well-versed in Scientology just from a couple of weeks of working there to feel comfortable. Since I've been yay-saying the whole time, they've been pushing me, subtly, even further. Most of the people I've met are either related to the owner or close friends, or new. I don't feel comfortable asking anyone whether or not they're a Scientologist, and I don't know if any answer would make me feel more comfortable, since the business is being run based on Scientology, with an owner who is connected to the Church. I also know that people have been promoted once they convert. I know from reading some people's experiences that it starts out this way: very subtle things that are easily agreeable with (come on, I eat dictionaries for breakfast, so telling me about "misunderstood" words sits perfectly fine and logically with me) and then proceeds into the stickier stuff.

But I was wondering if anyone has any experience working with a Scientology-owned and -operated business and the level of proselytizing done at a certain point? Can I honestly expect to work here and not be preached to, or pressured into Scientology, or shamed for things? Is this something that I really should be wary of?

I know that most of you are those who have been in Scientology and then gotten out, or found the way it was run to be less than perfect, so I'm just looking for some advice from a variety of individuals. (And if you can't tell, I am really wary about painting everyone in any religion with too-wide of a brush. In my religion, one of my beloved teachers was murdered by a rebellious subsect. I'm fairly tolerant of personal beliefs and anti-cult and having lived in a very religious environment growing up, have had some friends "disconnect" with me because I wasn't Christian, which I would consider a dangerous thing to do in any group.)

cooooooooooooooooooooool...

Adam7986

Declared SP
Without reading the entire thread, simply being in close proximity or even working for Scientologists will not make you join Scientology. They do not have some kind of mystical mind power and it's no wonder that you are getting the hang of how they do things because scientology is overly-simplistic. Scientology was made to be as utterly uncomplicated as possible. They might look to recruit you, and you can just politely refuse. If they insist you take courses, you can simply refuse. If they terminate you because of that then you can approach the labor board with a complaint. It's not that big a deal. You have a job, you live in a new place. Just chill out and hold onto the job. Especially since you said the title is more prominent than the one you expected, it will look good on a resume. A year of stability is a good thing, and you know better than to join the cult.

If things they say start making sense to you, don't be surprised. Most of it does make sense--to a point. Scientology and the Hubbard management bullshit take an overly simplistic view of the world and so you'll find that it's totally ineffective in a complicated situation. You can have fun watching them struggle for a minute and then use your non-Scientology logic abilities to come up with a perfect solution and they will marvel at your intellectual prowess.