What's new

XENOPHON calls for picket on Parliament

ShortStop

Patron
Edit:
Just a slight correction on thread title - Xen hasn't called for a picket, this Wed and Thurs, but rather for exes to actually meet with and speak to some MP's.

Great that the protest/raid is set for the 27th, but that is a different thing with a different purpose. All good. :)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/13/2845062.htm?section=justin

Picketing Parliament

Senator Xenophon said he was not put off by the lack of support for the bill, and planned to reintroduce an amended version next week.

He called on attendees to travel to Canberra and tell their stories the MPs in person, saying a number of his colleagues had approached him after the bill was voted down to express their concerns.

"I think if we can get a group of people out the front of Parliament House and actually eyeball the politicians and knock on their doors on Wednesday and Thursday it would be very powerful," he said.

WWP Thread:
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media/xenophon-calls-picket-parliament-63486/

If you want to make an impact, this sounds like a good way to do it. For those Exs who are not comfortable with protesting, knocking on a few MP's doors and talking with them in person about your personal experiences could do a lot of good.

ETA: Obviously heading down & talking to your MP or any & all MPs between now & Thursday will be helpful. It's nice to see a politician actually sticking his neck out for your guys.

Last edited:

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
^^^^^

I second this. Please all you Oz exes, think about how you could do this, and what a difference it could make to Xenathon's efforts for us, and for those still 'in" and other potential victims.

Pyro

Patron
We have one set for the 27th, but not in front of parliament, If there was enough interest I could organise it.

Last edited:

Carmel

Crusader
Just a slight correction on thread title - Xen hasn't called for a picket, this Wed and Thurs, but rather for exes to actually meet with and speak to some MP's.

Great that the protest/raid is set for the 27th, but that is a different thing with a different purpose. All good. :)

Purple Rain

Crusader
... Xen hasn't called for a picket, this Wed and Thurs, but rather for exes to actually meet with and speak to some MP's.

I'm just kind of confused about what is needed and wanted. Where does Xen want us and at what time? I could probably come if I knew.

ShortStop

Patron
I'm just kind of confused about what is needed and wanted. Where does Xen want us and at what time? I could probably come if I knew.

Xenophone wants Exs (& probably parents with children trapped in) to come between now & Thursday and personally talk with MPs. He said Wed or Thursday, but I bet any day by Thursday would be good.

Go in, drop by your MP's office. Tell them about your experiences in person. I'd also stop by Xenophone's office & see if he suggests you speak with any other MPs.

I would guess that lead party MPs would be good to talk to and any MP in a leadership position. It's a matter of putting a human face to all of these issue being brought up.

If I were you, I might call ahead & leave a message for Xenophone's receptionist to inform him of when you will be coming to speak with you MP & ask if they had any suggestions on who else you should talk with.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Xenophone wants Exs (& probably parents with children trapped in) to come between now & Thursday and personally talk with MPs. He said Wed or Thursday, but I bet any day by Thursday would be good.

Go in, drop by your MP's office. Tell them about your experiences in person. I'd also stop by Xenophone's office & see if he suggests you speak with any other MPs.

I would guess that lead party MPs would be good to talk to and any MP in a leadership position. It's a matter of putting a human face to all of these issue being brought up.

My mum asked to make an appointment with Senator Lundy but was told she was too busy.

Where is Xenophon's office? My mum has found some of my old Scientology dox - an ethics chit and an old danger formula. It really puts it there what it was like to be on staff as a Scientologist. They're quite powerful actually.

Carmel

Crusader
Yesterday morning when I spoke to Xen's Senior Policy and Media advisor (who was with Nick) he was suggesting that we get *lined up* to get to the steps of Parliament House, Thursday 9am.

This is still to be confirmed, and he said that he would confirm that with us by this morning.

This is the way it goes....plans can and do change daily, sometimes hourly, but at this stage a few of us are planning on going Wed, seeing a few folks Wed night, and being at Parliament House on Thursday morning.

"Picketing" isn't something that I'm into, nor something which a number of us are intent on doing on Thursday, but we are intent on speaking with certain Senators and the media. The more exes who want to come and who are free to do so, the better.

I'll confirm what the plans are, later in the morning.

Yesterday morning when I spoke to Xen's Senior Policy and Media advisor (who was with Nick) he was suggesting that we get *lined up* to get to the steps of Parliament House, Thursday 9am.

This is still to be confirmed, and he said that he would confirm that with us by this morning.

This is the way it goes....plans can and do change daily, sometimes hourly, but at this stage a few of us are planning on going Wed, seeing a few folks Wed night, and being at Parliament House on Thursday morning.

"Picketing" isn't something that I'm into, nor something which a number of us are intent on doing on Thursday, but we are intent on speaking with certain Senators and the media. The more exes who want to come and who are free to do so, the better.

I'll confirm what the plans are, later in the morning.

:thumbsup: Best Wishes!

Mark A. Baker

Pyro

Patron
Ok,

The AFP contacted me today to "Touch Base" about this, to see if I was planning anything or if I knew of any planning. I said I would see what I can find out for them.

So if we have some figures and/or time, as well as details about the gathering could I be PM'ed the details just so I can pass it on.

From what I gather they just want, Date, Time, Approximate number of people and If you will be inside or outside. Just so Security knows whats going on. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Pyro

Last edited:

Carmel

Crusader
It's now confirmed that we are going to Canberra, and will be at Parliament House, 9am Thursday.

Feral and I are going, as well as some others ya know from here on ESMB. If you're an ex and ya want to go and/or are thinking about it, then give Feral or I a call or drop us a line. :)

Outethicsofficer

I don't want to picket the religion, I am attending with the idea we meet up with senators and let them see who we are and they ask us questions related to our experiences from within the church and our interaction with the management of the church. I have my own opinions about the tech which may or not be at variance with Scientologist who continue to adhere to the church; those opinions will not be put forward.

My interest is in seeing that an inquiry is done into the conduct of the management of the church.

We have donated money for books to go into libraries and we were told that they were all done when they weren't.

We were asked to support the IAS which we did, I want to know what has happened over the years to that money, where was it spent and to what use was it put?

How is it that the church can use it's not inconsiderable resources to chase and harass individuals with impunity?

Why was my daughter not given the opportunity to legal counsel before signing waivers upon her departure from the Sea Org?

Under what law was the church allowed to search the personal belongings of our daughter, confiscate her SIM card and wipe her contacts list from her mobile phone.

These are just some of the points I want to raise.

James

Once bitten

Patron Meritorious
I don't want to picket the religion, I am attending with the idea we meet up with senators and let them see who we are and they ask us questions related to our experiences from within the church and our interaction with the management of the church. I have my own opinions about the tech which may or not be at variance with Scientologist who continue to adhere to the church; those opinions will not be put forward.

My interest is in seeing that an inquiry is done into the conduct of the management of the church.

We have donated money for books to go into libraries and we were told that they were all done when they weren't.

We were asked to support the IAS which we did, I want to know what has happened over the years to that money, where was it spent and to what use was it put?

How is it that the church can use it's not inconsiderable resources to chase and harass individuals with impunity?

Why was my daughter not given the opportunity to legal counsel before signing waivers upon her departure from the Sea Org?

Under what law was the church allowed to search the personal belongings of our daughter, confiscate her SIM card and wipe her contacts list from her mobile phone.

These are just some of the points I want to raise.

James

And rightly so, James.

Go well :thumbsup:

Kutta

A huge thank you to those who are able to make it tomorrow. I hope you find some willing ears among the politicians and that they face up to the realities and their responsibilities.