ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

You can take the girl out of essex...

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by glinner, Nov 13, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. glinner

glinner Patron

Just read Failmeansfail's post about Marty.

On a number of occasions it was mentioned that he/she would go back to the real world, woodwork, etc and not have anything to do with scn, ex-scn, etc.

This got me thinking... can anyone actually do this? Do you know of anyone who doesn't talk about their past or who doesn't pay attention to a news item regarding scientology?

In other words, is that saying true for us as well?

You can take the girl out of Scientology but you can't take Scientology out of the girl?

It is for me, much as I'd love to "faa ged a bou dit" I can't.

I wish I could but I can't.

2. byte301

byte301 Crusader

glinner,

I left scientology out of my life for about 20 years. It wasn't something I thought of a lot. Once you're in it becomes part of your past so you can't totally forget it. But it does fade as time goes by.

Then one day you go surfing on the internet...

3. Mick Wenlock

Mick Wenlock Admin Emeritus (retired)

It probably depends on how long you were in and how intensively. For XSO I do not think that it is an option to just forget it wll.

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Gold Meritorious Patron

I think Marty wants to be the next COB. He can tell me I am wrong if he wants

5. Lynn Fountain Campbell

Lynn Fountain Campbell Silver Meritorious Patron

I would have been happy to do so as well, if only they had left me alone.

Lynn

6. He-man

He-man Hero extraordinary

I can´t stop thinking about scientology, I tried to for years to get over it but I couldn´t. It is a part of me.
    Scientology does something massive to a person, it put me in a world based on completely different rules and social behaviour then the rest of the world. Live with that for some twenty years, how do you get over it?
    With ESMB of course.

7. failmeansfail

failmeansfail Patron

I think it depends on the individual. I was in for quite some time. I was mid OT 7 when I was declared. I did a full RPF program, and saw most echelons of the SO over a relatively extensive career.

I've also been out quite some time, and it's only now that I've come to this point, where yes, once I've said my piece, I'll just walk away. Not to be flip, but my view of it is like quitting smoking. I may wrestle with it for a week or two, but eventually a morning will come when I no longer need the fix.

The family I've lost, barring some miracle, is lost to me for good. They're die-hards. They have the ability (as I did, once) to cut off all contact with their own blood because they think Scientology is more important than any other connection they could have. I have spent years recovering from this loss, and part of moving on - for me - is doing it in the most complete and literal sense possible.

I'm not saying my way is the right way, but I have no doubts on a personal level about my ability to do it. :)

8. skydog

skydog Patron Meritorious

For the first few months I was out, I thought about it-mostly wondering if I had forsaken my eternity and thinking that some day, once I acquired the wealth needed to continue, that I would return. After that, I stopped thinking about it but would follow a news story if it came up. By the time anyone thought to "recover" me, it was out of my system and I wanted nothing more to do with it.

What refueled my interest in the subject was a special on scientology put on by A & E concerning the cult's war with the internet. The mystery of OT III was the only thing that had really held my attention on the subject as I had read most of LRH's works. When Vaughn Young said that this mystery could be solved with no more than three mouse clicks, I had to find out. It actually took me longer than that-but the mystery was solved.

In the process, I discovered the freezone, the writings of Ken Ogger, Geoff Philbert, Harry Palmer, other squirrels (I like squirrels-they are cute ok), together with all the stories of abuse that surrounded the church. Based on my own experiences within the church, it was impossible for me to conclude that the church was blameless. While some accounts are more credible than others, there is clearly evidence of wrongdoing that should not be ignored. Ultimately, the issue is one of credibility; I do not believe Tommy Davis' denials-in fact, to a large degree, they substantiate much of what has been said or reported.

Others have commented that since Feb. 2008, most people are looking in the same way that they would watch a train wreck. That is true for me. At the beginning of my career, a very wise old sage told me that "if you see your opponent heading blindfolded towards a cliff, your only duty is to make sure the road is well paved so he doesn't trip and discover the error of his ways."

I believe that the current management is doing just that. I believe that, despite the efforts of Marty Rathbun and his crew, because of the inflexibility of the subject of scientology as expressed in the words of LRH, the church, as we know it, will fail.

I am not a 'hater' by any means. There appears to be validity to some of the practices of scientologists. Other principles and practices are pure hogwash and in many cases dangerous. Organized scientology uses religious cloaking to hide the dangerous aspects of this belief system and mass marketing to tout its benefits.

My goal today is to see scientology treated as a business-not a religion. As a business, it should be held accountable to provide its employees with a decent wage, humane working conditions, and the deliver to the public a valuable product. Clearly, there are people that believe in the value of the 'product' sold by this organization. As a business, if people are harmed, they should be held accountable.

End of rant.

9. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

The longer this goes on the more I think that Marty wants to be the next 'figurehead', whether as COB or some other fantasy title, while Davey 'retires from management' and goes off to do 'research'. No way is Davey going to be giving him control of the assets.

But, the point will be to stage a 'cut out' so that Scientology can disavow any earlier 'crimes' (we don't do that any more!) and pretend to have become a 'kinder, gentler bug-shit-crazy UFO Cult'.

Then, when public scrutiny dies off and the Scientology Brand is 'rehabilitated', Davey himself can return from the shadows as the 'Old Man' and all bygones will be bygones...

Zinj

10. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

And a damn good rant at that - thank you.

I too want to see Scientology lose the "religion" cloak and be forced to live by the same rules as every other business.

That is why I retain any interest in the subject - I truly want to see reform of it so that the slaves go free.

But only if THEY want to after they've been given the facts.

11. Kutta

Kutta Silver Meritorious Patron

When I left the SO and Sci in !981, it took me quite some time (its hard to remember how long) to reconcile the real world with my previous life. I sure was happy with my regained freedom, but carried some hurt at the sudden loss of communication with people I worked with and liked, and I continued to use some of the tech. Things like completing cycles of action and the comm cycle. I still retain some of this today. It still annoys me a bit when people don't acknowledge a communication.

But at some point I just got on with life and barely ever thought about Sci. There were so many other fish to fry. Then after about 25 years of never hearing from anyone in Sci, when the basics came out I was suddenly harrassed by endless phone calls and stuff got stirred up, until I found ESBM just a few months ago and was able to 'talk' about it. I was very surprised how much of my scientology experience had remained with me and was so relieved to find others with whom I could share it after so many years of being unable to discuss it with anyone, apart from immediate family who were with me at the time, and even with them it was not easy. There was confusion about how I could have been such a sucker, and shame that I exposed my children to the horrors of some Sci tech and SO life and attitude to children.

Now I am enjoying revisiting my past Sci experience to some extent. I think it is partly a smug sense of revenge at last. As I watch the ship going down, it is giving me enormous satisfaction, even glee, that the harm it did to me and my family and so many others, and still does, is being met by comeuppance. I have a real nasty streak that wants the evil exposed and punished, big time. I am going to enjoy watching that. I guess I'm an SSSSSSPPPPPPPPPP!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009