ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Your Activism Stories and Ideas

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by byte301, Aug 22, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. byte301

byte301 Crusader

The purpose of this thread:

1. A place to post your activism stories, good or bad, win or fail.

2. A place for your ideas on how to effectively participate in activism against the cult of $cientology.

I know that enturb has a lot of good methods and ideas on activism but some of you don't post there. I think a lot of people on this board could come up with some good ideas and may have some prior experience that would be useful to those of us new to activism.

I would really be interested in hearing from you.

Some methods are obvious but could be improved perhaps:

Protesting
    Writing your congressman or legislater
    Doing youfoundthecard
    Informing people on other message boards about $cientology
    Posting your stories about $cientology on this and other anti boards
    Doing a blog
    Talking to people you run across irl about $cientology
    Rating anti $cientology videos on Youtube and Vimeo
    Donating money to keep fliers being printed, etc.
    Digging good media reports

So rack your brain!

IKnowTooMuch posted this story on another thread and I thought it was worth re-posting to give an example of a serendipitous meeting that became a chance to inform someone irl.I'm interested in stories of people you've talked to or things you've done to spread the word about Scientology and it's crimes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I took a bike ride this morning. At the end I road down to a couple of picnic tables where there was a woman sitting munching on a samitch. She had two wire hair terriers that were running about.
    I said good morning and we started talking about dogs and such. Slowly (without really trying...do you really have to try!) we started to talk about religion. It was interesting. Of course I had to make sure she wasn't a Scientologist first.
    She ended up being Buddhist. I almost busted out laughing when she told me to watch out from some factions of Buddhists. Which opened the door to my shortened version of my former Scientologisty story (at least till the church gets on trick if it ever does).
    I of course told her some of the things I knew and she seemed to take it to heart. I was willing to be there all day to tell her more but alas, she had to leave.

+1

It's about all I can do because of my family situation.

Your turn!!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. sheetmedal

sheetmedal Patron

My Brother

Once I made my decision, I called my brother and got him to look at the information and he made the same decision for himself. :happydance: There's a lot more to do, but it's a start.

3. byte301

byte301 Crusader

I would call that an amazing first step, sheetmedal!! You are gonna be an activism star for sure.:happydance:

4. Magoo

Magoo Gold Meritorious Patron

I agree...excellent step, Sheetmetal! :happydance:

I'm going to be speaking at C.F.I. (The" Center for Inquiry" here in LA. It's in the old Steve Allan Theater on Sunset).

I'll be there this Wed night, so all are welcome. It's a short talk, and then
    Q & A. And OSA? Save your energy----we have an agreement, IF you're just there to cause trouble, (Distract, degrade, avoid real points about C of S)--
    you will be asked to leave.

If you're in the area......please stop by.

That's a start---for the week coming up! :omg:

Tory/Magoo~~

5. byte301

byte301 Crusader

That is great, Tory! Wish I could be there but I'm a thousand or so miles away! Anyway, hope it goes well for you. If you get tape of it be sure and post it here!:happydance:

6. byte301

byte301 Crusader

I need some funny one or two liiners for t shirts relating to $cientology, Flubbard, Davey, Xenu, etc.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  7. Iknowtoomuch

Iknowtoomuch Gold Meritorious Patron

"How does DM have time to be a Metrosexual when he's trying to clear the planet?":confused2:

I'll come up with a few more later.

8. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Patron with Honors

9. Giuseppe

8th Dynamic = God
    OT 8 = You becoming God
    What are you smoking, can I have some?

10. byte301

byte301 Crusader

11. Neo

Neo Silver Meritorious Patron

I left the Co$ at the end of April. I had started drifting off several months earlier. I had already started posting here in March. I read a lot and quickly understood the nature of the beast that is the Co$. And felt horrified that I had gotten involved in the first place. I'm a lot more 'relaxed' in my outlook now, LOL. But I feel that there are specific things that I can, and would like to do. I don't feel any obligation. It is not, as some have implied, the result of projected blame or lack of responsibility in my part onto the Co$ or LRH. The Co$ is a dishonest organisation. They are currently the opposition in one of my games, LOL.

I recently did a television appearance. That was actually a huge step, but it all happened so quickly that I didn't really have time to stop and think about it. Thus I did not freak out at what I was doing, or getting involved in. I knew I wanted to do it, and so I went full steam ahead from there. I was put in touch with a journalist from Today Tonight, and we put together an expose on child labour abuses at my old org in Melbourne. This is covered in more detail here http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=6541

I haven't been to any protest. I would rather stay away from my old stomping ground for the time being. It can sometimes produce a physical effect in me similar to an anxiety attack, so protests are not my thing. Not for the time being anyway.

I spend a lot of time researching the Co$ and its 'true' history. I am working on a major project to do with the upcoming Australian Senate inquiry into charities and their disclosure requirements. I will say more about this when appropriate.

The idea of a blog appeals to me also.

And I love reading about what others do. Just like I love reading peoples stories. Every little bit helps.

Neo

12. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Neo, what you did wasn't "little" by any stretch of the imagination. It was HUGE!

Protests aren't possible for everyone and the stuff that goes on 'behind the scenes' is really important.

I don't do it out of responsibility or guilt any more either. I did at first but I've done some things I can't talk about for now that made me feel like I had undone whatever harm I caused by supporting the cult.

Now I do it because it needs to be done. I can't just go about my business ignoring the fact that there are people suffering in the RPF and SP Hall, families torn apart, and kids having their childhood stolen by $cientology. I don't think I could live with myself now that I know about all these things if I didn't do something to stop them.

Oh and the lulz are important too! :yes:

13. Magoo

Magoo Gold Meritorious Patron

Great Job, Neo! :clap: :headspin: :dance:

My very best to you,

Tory/Magoo~~

14. Neo

Neo Silver Meritorious Patron

Yes, I forgot the lulz :duh: :D

And I forgot to add that both my sisters know about, and have seen the Today Tonight expose. Scientology is not something I spoke to my family much about. They knew I was 'in', and they knew I was passionate about it, whilst in. So that is a dozen people that I can think of that will have nothing to do with Scientology. Not because I said so, but from our discussions about why I feel the way I do now. And they will most likely inform others if and when the need presents itself.

Tell people the truth, and let them make up their own minds. It doesn't bode well for the Co$.

And well done to you, too. You are making a difference :yes:

Thanks Tory

If I may quote myself (I think its the avatar - it makes me feel important, LOL)
    Neo

15. Ananon

Ananon Patron

I think the collective knowledge on this board, is extremely important once more government agencies will listen.

In fact, I happen to be somewhat familiar with Duch law and have a fairly good notion which laws are being violated by the standard Co$ practices. Most if not all of those practices, will be used in Holland too. I would love to get into touch with one or more Dutch ex-members who will (anonymously) work with me to get agencies to undertake action.

I don't know if there are any on this board, but if you have leads by all means let me know..

16. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Go for it! I like Blogger at www.blogger.com, run by Google. Very easy to start a blog, and people who create free add-ons often make them Blogger-friendly. All free of charge. The only problem comes when you leave them for a year or two and have forgotten your password and the e-mail account you used to open that account with. Ahem. :)

Paul

17. Boldgirl

Boldgirl Patron Meritorious

This describes how I am beginning to feel Neo. There are things I can do...and now would like to do.....but before I was frozen in fear.

I am going to try to help and it is beginning to feel like a game I want to be part of.

Anyway, your contribution thus far, has been far reaching.

Thanks

18. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Welcome Ananon!

There are some real old timers here from the beginning of it all! They have some very interesting stories to tell.

I am not sure if there are any Dutch exes here but there might be. We have a lot of lurkers who may post something. You never know who's going to pop in.:yes:

19. Giuseppe

Giuseppe too. Giuseppe gets this really really bad :nervous: - even after 12 years or so - it will never go away.:unsure:

Giuseppe gets this especially when Giuseppe is telephono friends:nervous: and familia:no: who are still in.

20. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Sorry Giuseppe. It is a very strange feeling to stand across the street from your old org holding a sign denouncing them. I was really scared and upset at first but that feeling went away. I had to just keep telling myself that this cult was not what I signed up for all those years ago.

It makes it 1,000 times worse when you have family still in. That would suck so bad.