ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Your current perceptions of Psychiatry

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by 3rdman, May 22, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. Boojuum

Boojuum Silver Meritorious Patron

Therapy

I've gotten psych help for my career, my anxiety, and my marriage. The career help was fabulous. The anxiety guy was fantastic. The marriage counselor was/is fine. My interactions were all fairly light, no meds needed, just talk, simple advice, testing for aptitude or career matches--nothing debiliating, no depression, just a great person to see when the need arises. My experiences have all been positive.

2. Whitedove

Whitedove Patron Meritorious

Thank you :blush: :D

3. 3rdman

3rdman Patron

(warning, long response) Hey, thanks everyone. I am in the field of psychology and because I enjoyed reading your responses, here is my perception of the mental health field.

Like every field, it has its merits and flaws. There is no doubt of this. Psychiatry has a flaw of being a "medical profession" IMO. The title of M.D. by there name gives them tremendous power and lee-way for the potential to being abusive. I've heard stories from colleagues about the good and the bad. And even in my field, I was especially shocked while taking my Professional Ethics and Issues course to learn how "psychologists" share the same vices as any in a professional field.

The field of mental health gives us tremendous knowledge intended to be used to help others. In the past, far too many abusive practices and attitudes were covered up and hidden by miscreants within the field, that should have otherwise been punished and prevented. An example is Dr. Jason Richter; a very horrible man who used his profession to manipulate his patient into becoming his lover (Frontline: My doctor, my lover). And yes, he got away with it.

But today, our code of ethical principles and the many many many regulations and state and federal laws we are bound to enforce good behavior for the field (but sometimes these regs conflict with each other; bureaucracy :p ). And because all potential practitioners are required to take a course teaching the ethics code and laws we are bound to, such occurrences have shown to greatly reduce such behavior in the newer generations. Though I still say, the small number of ethical violations is still too high. Zero violations would be a perfect number.

For psychiatry, my concern comes from three things:
    A) Psychiatrists aren't required to take as many mental health classes or seminars in mental health as psychologists or counselors. Its a medical practice. But because psychiatrists are supposed to help in mental health, not doing so limits their ability to address mental health problems, IMO.

B) It would be much better if psychiatrists would consult other mental health professionals, whom I feel are more specialized and competent in assessing for diagnoses. A psychiatrist can just give a diagnosis from a 30 minute interview (and that is the minimum requirement). A psychologist or counselor requires testing, a longer interview, a history check, and consultations.

C) Psychiatrists have greater issues with their business practices. Like becoming sales-agents to pharmaceuticals while feeding into hysteria over so-called widespread pathology like ADHD and Bipolar Disorder. I use an example in this book by Olfman:
    Bipolar Children: Cutting-Edge Controversy, Insights, and Research (Childhood in America). With the frenzy on getting children diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar disorder, the pharmacological industry contributed greatly. Mental health professionals also contributed to the over-exaggeration of the prevalence of these disorders in children; while community studies have shown these disorders are much more rarer in children than believed by the frenzied parents and the general media; who confused normal childhood behavior with pathology.

However, I am comforted by three things psychiatry is making an effort for:
    A) To bridge the gap between medical and mental science. Three major developments of study have enhanced the field in mental health. First, was behavior. Second, was cognitive. Third, was cultural awareness. The fourth anticipated one will be neurological, a medical study. This is where both professions can merge the field to finally begin understanding how the brain really works so we're not just guessing based on empirical theory. :thumbsup:

B) Consultation: Though most psychiatrists still prefer to be the ultimate deciders of diagnosis and treatment, though many are wisely consulting other professionals to help with diagnosis, demanding tests and accurate interpretations of results for recommendations in order to best treat the patient. I remember one psychiatrist I worked with was just like this. Yes, he thought because he had an M.D., he should be the authority on what to do, but he always based it on thorough testing and research-based theory.

C) Young psychiatrists are beginning to address cognitive treatment possibilities instead of always recommending a medication. While insurance and medical professions prefer prescriptive treatment, its becoming more and more apparent that prescriptions alone are not the answer. Depression is a good example. Although medication can help, the source of depression isn't always a brain-chemical imbalance, and thus won't make it go away. Even general medical practitioners are networking with psychologists and counselors to refer patients they feel may benefit from therapy.

Thus I acknowledge that psychiatry/mental health fields are still developing. We are taking ethical practice very very seriously and are making active efforts to enforce an ethical standard based on beneficence, integrity, justice, fidelity, responsibility, and respecting people's rights and dignity.

4. FinallyFree

FinallyFree Gold Meritorious Patron

5. cockatoo

cockatoo Patron

When the theories of consciousness that Psychiatry uses as its basis i.e.
    Biological Psychiatry are false, then anything that Psychiatry does from
    that point on are going to be detrimental either physically or mentally to
    the patient.

6. FinallyFree

FinallyFree Gold Meritorious Patron

Thank you Whitedove :dance3: :dance3: I am enjoying my new found hapiness and sense of real freedom! :woohoo:

It's funny that you say to wait until I am stronger to tell my family because that is exactly what my therapist says and I know he is right. :yes: So my goal is to become strong for me and for my family so I can tell them what I have been up to and try to get them out also. It is a very important goal I have. You know I have had the same fear about being talked out of my convictions. But as each day passes, the more I learn, the more I am here sharing with other Exes through this message board the stronger I am growing.

I also did not agree with some of the things suggested by other therapists, combo'ing my meds with a mood stabilizer was something I just refused to do. And you know what? They didn't pull out the straight jacket and kidnap me! And fill me full of drugs! And rape me! OH NO!!! :omg: :omg: :omg:

Sorry- HAD to be said after all I was 'taught' about phychs - like I said... still recovering...

But you CAN find a doctor out there is is the right fit for you. So don't give up. I know from experience that if you find the right doctor and the rights meds it can help you.

I am glad you are doing better. :heartflower: Sometime you just have to remember that it takes time to recover. I have to remind myself of that all the time.

:love8: ,

FF

7. DCAnon

DCAnon Silver Meritorious Patron

Prove it. :) I'd love to get your take on why biological psychiatry is false, especially from all the scientific studies I've read on organic brain damage, neurological disorders of brain cell functionality like the deterioration of myelin sheaths along axons, and reduction of essential neurotransmitters that cause diseases like Parkinsons. :D Can you link me to your scientific studies so I can evaluate your data?

8. Cat's Squirrel

Cat's Squirrel Gold Meritorious Patron

Personally I don't think it's false, the things you mention (organic brain damage, neurological disorders of brain cell functionality like the deterioration of myelin sheaths along axons etc.) are indeed responsible for psychiatric problems; they're just not the whole story.

9. alexm

alexm Patron with Honors

Your current perceptions of Psychiatry

It's not as bad as Scientology thinks.

10. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Thanks for that. As it happens though, your original premise is false; 'psychiatry' (or, more correctly, psychology) does not *have* a 'biological' theory as its basis. Certainly many theories in Psychology do follow a biological model, but, it's by no means an essential element.

*However*, Ron's 'theory' of engrams/thetans/past lives-incidents/implants/prison planet/Xenu/Clear/OT is demonstrably unfounded on any number of points; in fact, except tautologically, it's unsupported on *any* point.

Which means that, by your theory, any 'Tech' is going to be detrimental to its target. Actually; not a bad theory.

Zinj

11. Whitedove

That is wonderful FinallyFree :happydance:

What matters is that it works for you and you feel better. Finding the right doc and med is not necessarily easy (I know that) but when you do it can be extremely beneficial.

Many here still have the indoctrination of psychiatry is bad to a lesser degree but its there so the main thing is not to try to get approval Its not for everyone but is a life saver for those that truly need it.

Gee, between scientology 'science' and psychiatry, to me, its really a no brainer when it comes to mental illness and anyway scientology is not for those with mental and emotional illnesses. We are the rejects....:stone:

But after 7 years see if i care :coolwink:

12. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

Rejects? That's one way of looking at it. Actually, I walked away from them, so if there was a rejection occurring, it was my rejection of the Church. If anything, we are the people who took what we wanted or needed from the philosophy, and then rejected the rest and went about our lives. They'll say that's because we had an MU. However, that's just their assertion of a "wrong item", as an attempt to justify their own failure of nerve to either leave or reform their Church.

13. Whitedove

mmmm...ok, you are right (gosh this is hard to say :D )

Seriously, its true. well, we can say both rejected the other one so all is fair and square :coolwink:

14. Royal Prince Xenu

Royal Prince Xenu Trust the Psi Corps.

What do I THINK about psychs?

In trying to palm CFS of as a mental problem, I have been sent to four different psychiatrists, and two of them I would like to see under a bus, the other two I felt had the patient's interests in mind. In all four cases, I was dismissed as NOT having a mental disorder.

I now regularly see a Psychologist as a Counselor, and studied Welfare IV for myself, so I am also a "qualified" Counselor. I have a good rapport with my Counselor, and depending on how I feel, we can zero in on a particular issue (like auditing), or we can chip away at it from the outside like pruning a bush.

I recently interceded on behalf of a friend's fiancee. She is bipolar (mostly depression) and epileptic. She had a really bad turn and was taken to the hospital where they kept her overnight in the belief that she would be coming back home in the morning. The doctor then wanted to refer her to a nearby psychiatric observation center, and she agreed that she would go, but when she was ready. Because she was getting more frustrated and upset about being kept in the hospital, the doctor gave orders that she was to be under guard and not allowed to leave until she went to the Psych Center.

That is when I intervened: "Are you holding her on any legal grounds?"
    "No."
    "Good. Fill out the paperwork, she has clearly stated that she wishes to leave."

I have encountered this "punishment" approach before, where because the patient won't immediately acquiesce to the "doctor's" wishes, incarceration, higher drug dosages etc., are used to get compliance which may not always be in the patient's best interest.