ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Zorg's Radiation Levels

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by The Great Zorg, Mar 15, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. GoNuclear

GoNuclear Gold Meritorious Patron

Lugol's iodine

Lugol's solution is a water solution of iodine. Because iodine is not in and of itself soluble in water, potassium iodide is dissolved in as s solubilizer. Potassium tends to ionize in water to a far greater extent than iodine, so the potassium in the potassium iodide will tend tend to hold a good deal more iodine in solution (in water) than just the iodide ions from the potassium iodide.

Commercially available Lugol's iodine weighs in at 7% iodine. It can be used to treat a variety of different conditions, including all manner of stomach conditions. All it takes is just a few drops a day for a few days. It makes an excellent astringent mouthwash ... just a few drops in a glass of water to gargle with. It will help with a sore throat, calm an upset stomach, etc. A one time dose of 60 drops can be used to treat some thyroid conditions. Anyways, the information is from Dr. Hulda Clark. Dr. Hulda Clark was/is right about a number of things, but has managed to piss off the AMA to the point where she had to leave the US for Mexico. There are certain areas of medicine that she is considered by some to be a quack. Regardless, I believe that she is probably right as far as uses for Lugol's iodine. These are probably remedies that go way, way, back to the late 19th/early 20th century, before the unholy alliance of big pharma, the AMA, and the FDA. There are plenty of perfectly good remedies that just can't hold a patent anymore, they have simply been around too long.

All of that said ... there is no such thing now as Lugol's easily available because of the DEA. That is because iodine crystals can be extracted from Lugol's iodine solution, which, in turn, can be reacted with red phosphorous and water to produce hydroiodic acid. Boiling pseudoephedrine hydrochloride in hydroiodic acid with red phosphorous is a method, albeit a crappy one, of manufacturing methamphetamine. First the DEA made it difficult to get ephedrine, then pseudoephedrine, then red phosphorous, and within the last few years iodine. Back in the 90's, when I picked up some chemicals for the purpose of extracting gold from electronic components, every idiot and his uncle Fred was purchasing iodine in 5 pound bags, and every other idiot was buying red phosphorous, supposedly for the manufacture of fireworks. And all the iodine fools were getting their iodine for their horses .... yeah, right. If you owned an entire stable of horses, a one ounce bottle of iodine crystals would be sufficient for years of treating hoof sores. So now not only can you not purchase the big bags of iodine crystals, but Lugol's has fallen prey to the so-called "war on drugs" as well. The best you will find these days is the 2% Lugol's iodine solution, and you would be hard pressed to find that. You can still purchase the 1 oz bottles of 2% iodine tincture in the drug store, a tincture is a solution in ethanol. Ethanol is relatively non toxic, it is otherwise known as grain alchohol, found in beer, wine, vodka, etc. The bottle is labeled "POISON! EXTERNAL USE ONLY!" but there is no reason that it can't be taken internally in the same quantities you would use Lugol's iodine 2%.

Pete

2. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

Pete,

Nice ^^^^^^^ good write up.

Yes, a couple of years ago (about 2-3 years ago) Lugol's was fully written up on the ways it could be used for health reasons on wikipedia . . . then when I went to refer to it for citing here on ESMB I collided with the rewrite as you describe above . . . it is now a proscribed compound. Can't be purchased.

Hulda Clark (now deceased) is one of my heroes too.

Rog

3. Rmack

Rmack Van Allen Belt Sunbather

As they did during Chernobyl, the Powers that Be are not telling you the whole picture concerning this nuclear disaster because they know it would scare the crap out of you.

Years and years ago I worked as a temp at the San Onofre nuclear power station as a 'jumper'.

We got dressed in bubble-suits with air hoses keeping them positively pressurized to keep contaminates out. We wore several personal radiation monitoring devices because due to Federal law, we could only be subjected to radiation exposure up to a certain mandated level each year.

I 'burned out' after two jumps of about and hour and a half each inside the generator.

Our job was to repair the steam generator. As was explained earlier in this thread, this giant device is used to heat 'clean' water into steam from the contaminated water that actually passes over the nuclear pile, thus separating the contaminated water from merely exposed water. We were installing sleeves inside the inch-wide tubes that the contaminated water ran through, and which clean water ran over to be heated. This meant we had to work inside the contaminated part of the steam generator.

As we exited, we passed through several zones, pealing off a layer of suit (we wore about six) and being thoroughly scanned for contamination each time. the suits were multi-bagged up after one use, and buried in a deep hole in Nevada somewhere.

Btw, after spending all these bucks (I got paid well) they opted to close down the reactor, as there was still a slight chance that a leak would still occur, contaminating the rest of the process, and eventually getting into the ecosystem, which would be very, very, very bad.

My whole point is that there are really two kinds of hazardous radiation 'poisoning'. The first, which we all get all the time is exposure. In other words, we are getting hit with varying amounts of radiation from a remote source, such as the Sun, stars, or an x-ray machine.

The other kind is much worse; contamination. This means that radioactive material has actually entered your body somehow. It might be inhaled, ingested, or otherwise absorbed. This is considerably worse, because then you are continuously exposed to radiation, concentrated on whatever part of your body it lodges in.

Now, just about anything becomes a radiation contaminate if it's bombarded with enough radiation from a powerful source, but the longer it's exposed, and the power of the source of radiation is a huge factor in how 'dirty' anything becomes.

When they tell you that it's only 20 times the background radiation, or start comparing it to dental x-rays, they are dis-informing you. There's a huge bloody difference in radiation from a star, and radiation from a dust particle in your lung, and can't be quantized by any scale of radiation severity, which they have changed over the years.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  4. GoNuclear

Standard Ops

Actually, that is a major scheduled preventive maintenance job, and, if done correctly, nobody receives all that much radiation and nobody gets contaminated, if they follow procedures getting in and out of their anti contamination suits. In the Navy, the inner suit and the one used for most RadCon jobs was the yellow jump suit, also known as the "canary" suit. It was the innermost suit over clothes and an outer suit which was also yellow and waterproof was worn over that, with a hood with a clear mask. The job in the Navy wasn't these liners for tubes on the primary side of the steam generators, it was sono-probing. The sono-probe would be run thru each tube on the primary side, to verify wall thickness of the steam generator tubes. In the event that a reading was below satisfactory, that particular tube would have to be plugged. It required the entire engineering department suiting up, one after the next, going thru the proceedure, and then going thru the exit proceedure. It was a huge, nasty piece of work that was done during a major overhaul in the shipyards. I heard of an instance where guy passed out doing his probing, and someone rushing in to rescue him without the anti C gear, and when all was said and done cleaning up the guy who did the rescue was a huge problem.

Pete

5. Rmack

That sounds like a good synopsis of the cluster-fuck that I went through at San Onofre.

This was circa 1983, or so. adjust for pay grade.

6. The Great Zorg

The Great Zorg Gold Meritorious Patron

In my days gone by of mechanical designing and prior to that, fabricating, I worked on a system that used lasers to "read" the "straightness" of Zircaloy (1, 2 & 4) tubes. Most interesting stuff that Zircaloy! Apparently zirconium atoms and hafnium atoms are almost exactly the same size. It is difficult to find hafnium free zirconium an very, very difficult to remove ALL of the hafnium from the zirconium. This must be done because zirconium is a very low neutron absorber and hafnium is a very high neutron absorber. This would wreck havoc when this alloy is used, as it mainly is, to house the fuel pellets. :unsure:

Funny, after we worked on and tested that machine to test 30 foot long rods, my company threw a few hundred pounds of sample Zircaloy 2 in the garbage. Of course I retrieved it, thinking I could sell it (this was 25 years ago). No one was interested. I then tried to donate it to our university. They were not interested. I finally, like my company, threw it away. Once something is bought and paid for, they do not want it back: they just sell more of what they manufacture. :confused2:

Also interesting was the fact that I was wiring the control panels for this machine, which was destined to be used in a higher radiation area due to the fuel pellet loading. When I suggested that the tags at the ends of each wire be printed with radiation resistant ink, to identify the thousands of wires being used, I was politely told to fuck off. After all, once my company sold the machine, it was the fuel rod manufacturer's and the loader's problem when they could no longer read the wrap on tag at the end of a thousands wires and their mating connections. I was in the fabrication department, not the engineering department of this company: the old "build it the way we design it and shut up" as opposed to "then design it so we can build it!" war between engineering and manufacturing/production/quality control. :confused2:

This is a strange planet. :yes:

7. Royal Prince Xenu

Royal Prince Xenu Trust the Psi Corps.

It is precisely for the that sort of situation that my list contained the recommendation that uninformed members of the public be allowed to participate in inspections:

- They are good at asking difficult and embarrassing questions;
    - They are not fitted with the intellectual straight jacket and academic blinkers of the "experts".

8. Royal Prince Xenu

Don't worry your pretty head about such things, the Marketing Department will resolve that. :whistling:

9. GoNuclear

San Onofre

I was in the training program at San Onofre in late 81/early 82 to become an operator. I hated it with a passion. It was everything that I didn't like about the Navy and nothing of what I did like. I lived in Oceanslime California, just south of Camp Pendlepuke. I picked up a second job, pitching this photo album and enlarging deal to the jarheads. Pretty soon I was making more doing that than at San Onofre. Eventually, I simply blew off San Onofre and picked up a second sales job in a fone room ... it was a lot less hassle.

When I first got to Oceanslime, it was a happenin' honkeytonkin' kinda of little town, but it was undergoing "urban renewal" so all the fun stuff was being bulldozed and high priced condos were being put up. Eventually I realized that I wasn't getting any younger, and that Oceanslime, being overrun by Jarheads from camp Pendlepuke, was really just a big hotdog stand that was chronically out of buns, so I packed my gear and headed up to Los Angeles to work the fone rooms up there.

Anyways, San Onofre ... everytime I passed the plant on I5 it reminded me of Dolly Parton. I will leave the explanation of that to Rmack. But did I ever hate that job ... I had nothing to prove to myself, having hacked the Navy nuclear program, and really no big incentive to stay in a job situation that I simply hated.

Pete

10. Royal Prince Xenu

Funny, but inaccurate, I think. When it comes to Dolly Parton, the excess architecture blends in with it's surroundings.

I would equate the appearance to Anna-Nicole Smith: Two watermelons sitting on an ironing board and looking completely out of place as a result.

11. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

Nice to see you serious science-mended dudes have a good sense of humor :p :yes:

R

12. Rmack

I went to Oceanside (slime) high-which is across the street to the headquarters of the 'Rosicrucian Fellowship'-and joined the Navy there. I did my stint there at San Onofre as a civilian, though.

Small world, huh?

I jumped reactor #1, which has been shut down for a while now, but I can attest that reactors #2 and #3 do look like an iconic image for Southern California.

13. Rmack

San Onofre by the beach

Two major sources of energy, and a nuclear power plant.

Attached Files:

14. The Great Zorg

There are three reactors close to me... one is northeast of me (Darlington, Ontario, 4 reactors), one is north of me (Bruce, Ontario, 8 reactors) and the third is about 20 miles southwest of me (Monroe, Michigan, 2 reactors).

There is a point to this reply; I live in Canada, a country on the leading edge of nuclear development and safety. A country who had the world's first nuclear reactor accident. In the decades since, our Candu reactors have been designed to be prolly the safest in the world. Both of these power plants are over 250 miles away from. So what do I worry about? THE FUCKING AMERICANS! THEM and there stupid, greedy way of doing certain things! That fucking Enrico Fermi plant in Monroe Michigan, 20 miles away from, with me living in the direction of the prevailing winds from that plant, almost melted down in 1966! Since then we have had local news for decades that that stupid plant was and is having problems and that they could not get the power up over 30% because of the construction and design flaws. There was a point a few years ago that so much news of problems at that plant hit the media that it was a monthly news item: What's Wrong With The Enrico Fermi Reactor This Month? :grouch: :angry: :duh: :nervous: :omg:

I mean WTF???!!!!! WE design the best and WE worry about the American reactors next door to us that are broken or not working most of the time and that rumour has almost destroyed Detroit Michigan (and us In Windsor, Ontario along right along with them). :grouch: :angry: :grouch:

W T F??!!!!!

DOX
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlington_Nuclear_Generating_Station
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Nuclear_Generating_Station
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Fermi_Nuclear_Generating_Station
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Almost_Lost_Detroit

This is an insane planet to live on. I'm moving as soon as space travel is available. Maybe something in Andromeda? Perhaps some beach front property on a nice, warm mostly water planet? :yes: :thumbsup:

Interesting link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_reactors

15. me myself & i

me myself & i Patron Meritorious

OMG. LOL. YOU OWE ME A CUP OF COFFEE SPILLED ALL OVER MY SELF!

Which covers many levels of appreciation. Lol.

Well penned.

Mojo

16. The Great Zorg

tyvm :thumbsup:

17. anonomog

anonomog Gold Meritorious Patron

Indeed it is :thumbsup::dieslaughing:
    I passed it on to a few appreciative friends too.

But lest we forget the human tragedy.
    :angry: <partially off topic...I'm cranky forgive me:melodramatic:>

I'm getting pretty pissed off with news media going all frothy and pointing fingers at the Japanese, not telling us enough, not reacting how the armchair experts thousands of miles away say they should, not this, not that... For the love of god! Here are people overwhelmed with loss of family, homes, life as they knew it, worrying about aftershocks and they are battling with a nuclear disaster.

I am wondering how many other countries with nuclear power plants could have coped as well as the Japanese have done in the face of the same calamities.
    Japan: speak up more and ask for more help; Critical countries: give it to them without censure or hope for gain. Fat chance for that.

This wasn't Chernobyl, this wasn't a case of no money for maintenance, shoddy workmanship crappy parts; soviet secrecy at all costs and a chain of human error.
    It was a gd earthquake and tsunami.

In 1986 I watched Chernobyl slowly unfold on reuters over days and weeks, denial, denial, cover up, Sweden announced radiation levels that could only have come from a serious accident and the Soviets eventually agreeing that maybe, possibly, they might have a slight problem. Later I read about the horrific burns and radiation sickness suffered by the forgotten heroes, normal people, workers who tried to help limit the disaster.

To the firemen and engineers at the plant who are trying their best to contain this at an enormous personal cost; while simultaneously coping with tragedy and heartbreak in their own lives. Thank you.

[​IMG]

TEPCO Managing Director Akio Komiri cries as he leaves after a press conference on Fukushima Daiichi.
    Kyodo
    http://www.bellona.org/articles/articles_2011/cable_honestly

18. Royal Prince Xenu

I agree entirely with the sentiment that you are expressing but right now in the middle of the chaos, some common sesnse and logic has to kick in.

1. Those lost in the Tsunami----Ever so sorry, but nothing will bring them back.
    2. Four reactors are in a major state of disrepair and two of those will never operate again.
    3. Surely the short term costs of closedown and full inspection of the remaining four reactors before something else goes wrong is going to work out cheaper than trying to keep them online until they explode too.

Three or four months of gas barbecues on building roofs and balconies has to be far less damaging than losing all eight reactors in search of the holy$ and meaning those gas barbecue will be in use for a significant number of YEARS.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  19. The Great Zorg

Their is a peculiar phenomena that occurs when greedy big business gets caught red handed. A lot of yana yana just for show and smiles from the inside knowledge of the usual secret, closed room negotiations of a solution that must, in some way, benefit the perpetrators. :grouch:

20. Enthetan

Enthetan Master of Disaster

Rossi's cold fusion work got an article in the Washington Times.

Rossi's supposed to have a commercial power plant up and running in Greece sometime around October, using his cold fusion process. I'll wait until he demonstrates a product before getting really excited.

[edit correction]: the Greek plant will not produce electricity, it will produce hot water for an industrial process. Nevertheless it will be a megawatt equivalent of energy producing the hot water.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011