What's new

1-900-CLO-EUS

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
Hah, dug this out of my brain while on vacation.

About 1990, the A-treas aide comes to me with a huge flap.

THE PHONE BILL

There was a huge phone bill for the month because there were tons of 900 calls being made from CLO EUS. It was my job to find out how and who et al.

I could have really cared less about them, but really you would have to be an utter idiot to think you could get away with that.

I hated talking to any of the crew, so I called up the phone company and chatted with a nice person in the billing department who sent me over the transcripts of all the outgoing calls made from CLO.

I knew the phone system as much as I knew their computer at that point, so all I did was block in the time frames for the calls, place that into how the phone system picked the outgoing lines and traced it back to a few desks that they originated from. One mainly, the person at those places at those times was the guilty party.

I can't remember who it was or what they did to him right now, that is fuzzy, maybe I will remember later.

I do remember noticing a serial terminal jack next to the phone system's terminal jack in the basement. I, experimentally, (oh they would have killed me if they knew how I learned their phone system and computers) took a serial cord I built from parts left over from the renovation, got a pinout chart and plugged it into an old Okidata printer they had thrown out in the trash that I rescued one night. I still have that printer along with 2 others they threw out.

To my shock, it actually started spitting out the phone records of outgoing calls along with the exact extension. That would come in handy if it happened again. I seem to remember wiring it directly back up the phonewires and into an unused cable from the digiboards to the UNIX computer so I could do a capture of the data that I could grep a search out for info if needed. At that point, I had programmed all kinds of searchers that could find anything in the computer system in any logon.

I also seem to remember James Goodison (he was on the command channels mission and later the CO CMO EUS after that) ordering me to make sure I could block outgoing calls like that in the future.

That is what I remember of that cycle.

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
Good ML!
Interesting how the stories start to surface. I had some memories today myself while cleaning out some old files and staff memos that I was happy to throw out!!

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
Good ML!
Interesting how the stories start to surface. I had some memories today myself while cleaning out some old files and staff memos that I was happy to throw out!!

When I finally dig my boxes out I am sure I will have a huge pile more, among the gems in there are plenty of KRs and Telexes sent to me about stuff. Re-reading it all will be humorous to me now.