What's new

Aftermath Aftermath

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Mike Rinder's Blog

Aftermath Aftermath

The first new episode for a long time aired last night, a special on the Jehovah’s Witnesses. It’s unlike anything we had done before and I am interested to hear your feedback. I watched Twitter and Facebook as the show aired on the East Coast, but have not yet caught up following the West Coast […]

Continue reading...

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
When I first heard rumors that Leah and Mike were going to do a show regarding the JW's I felt it was a bad idea. They both knew Scientology intimately as they grew up in it and Mike was a top exec in International management, but they really had pretty limited knowledge about this other group.

I've not actually seen the special as yet that already aired on this but just read some of the feedback at the end of this blog post linked to in the OP. The comments from former JW's were amazing and it appears Mike and Leah hit a home run here and did for them what they've already done for all of us in the Ex-Scientologist community.

Last edited:

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
In case anyone in this group missed the show last night, Leah Remini and Mike Rinder on Jehovah's witness episode
FULL SEGMENT

EZ Linus

Cleared Tomato
It was a great show, I thought. One of the greatest things to happen to me after I first left was having attended private group meetings for former members of various cults. This is what made the light bulb go off for me. For so long, even though I'd left, I still had residual doubt in my mind: Maybe Hubbard was right. Maybe I've made a mistake by leaving. Maybe I've turned my back on the "Truth" and have ruined my eternity. Perhaps Scientology is different than anything else out there...

Turns out, comparing notes with ex-JWs, ex-fundamentalist Mormons, ex-Church of God members, ex-Branch Davidians, and even ex-activists of Lyndon LaRouche -- all of those groups had the same exact components in play as Scientology, with the same type of sociopathic personality at its helm. If anything, this confirmed that what I'd left behind was a CULT like any other: dangerous, brainwashing, controlling, etc. Hubbard was not "special. He had no special knowledge. His "doctrine" could have been biblical, political, or made up out of thin air. It did not matter. It had the same agenda. It had the same purpose, affect (on me and the members), and intention: power/money/control/et al.

I think any member of any cult, or anyone newly leaving or thinking of leaving Scientology who happened to catch that episode is thinking the same thing. How could they have entrusted the doctrine, the people that "knew what was better for them" so easily without questions or skepticism? They are still learning they were conditioned not to have, or they had been stripped of their critical thinking skills through a process of trust and reciprocation, and coercion. I think the show is resonating with a lot of people whether they focus on Scientology or not, but I still think they aren't through holding the cult liable for its crimes.