What's new

Anonymous Claims First Supporter Within San Francisco CoS!

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Anonymous Claims First Supporter Within San Francisco Church of Scientology

(Story came out of the SF Weekly earlier today.)

By Lauren Smiley Thu., Sep. 8 2011 at 12:15 PM

The San Francisco-based Anonymous demonstrators who have waged a protest against the city's Church of Scientology for three years may have won over their first potential defector -- a person who posted on the group's message board this week as a "cult member in hiding" to let them know their protests have proved "something is really wrong" with the Church.

Meanwhile, the San Francisco church's president, Jeff Quiros, is brushing this off as a troll -- internet-speak for someone trying to start trouble online. "I'm sure it's not legitimate," he says.

One Anonymous protester chalked it up as a victory. "This is the first time someone has publicly come out and said 'I want to defect.' It's really heart-warming to see him so grateful" for the Anonymous protests.

Here is the text of the first post that went up Tuesday on a San Francisco message board of whyweprotest.net. The writer says, "I hope one day to join you."

See full story and screen shots of the actual messages here:
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/09/anonymous_claims_first_defecto.php

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
:dance: :dance: :dance:

Lol @ Sci-rep brushing it off as a troll, in fact :roflmao: becauuuuuuuuuse, its the last sort of troll Anons would bother with, let the truth be known and ROCK ON!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

yeh!

Anonycat

Crusader
Word is that one of the anons and her are doing more than a little eye contact. Okay, he got down on a knee and proclaimed his love, right outside the org.

:omg:

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is great news guys, you really do make a difference. :yes:

In fact I'd like to take this opportunity to let you know that Anonymous were in fact a factor in my leaving the cult and I believe there are quite a few others that have been influenced by all your good work.

I was at Flag when the real protesting started and there were a few whilst I was there. The Cleartwater Anons, and Syd Anons when I returned home, had an effect on me. When I was at Flag I was doing the Ministers Course and learning the "creed" verbatim and the line on all men having the right to think, speak and write freely kept niggling at whatever part of my own mind I still had at that time. I kept thinking that if all men had the right of free speech/expression how could we "the church" be so viciously hostile about Anonymous and their actions. I wasn't aware enough to agree with what you were saying but if I was to follow the creed you had every right to do so as far as I was concerned. Fortunately I was aware enough not to voice this opinion to anyone :biggrin:.

It wasn't the only thing that got me out but it was certainly a part of the beginning of my exit. You guys create seeds of doubt that can be the beginning of the end for even just a few. So THANK YOU AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
It wasn't the only thing that got me out but it was certainly a part of the beginning of my exit. You guys create seeds of doubt that can be the beginning of the end for even just a few. So THANK YOU AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!

Police voice: "Thankyou maaam, your thanks is not required but is kindly appreciated."

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
As one who can relate, here are some that come to mind.

Family still in.
Close friends still in.
Joburg.
Extortion.
Wanting to do something about it from inside.
Personal reasons.

Yes! It could well be any or all and more, but what it really boils down to is FEAR.
From the onset, in its own multifaceted (sometimes obscure) way, the heart of the Anon messages carry an important thing other than doubt formula, it is 'You are not alone, there is help.' sort of thingy.

:yes:

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
This has happened before, although perhaps it's a first for San Francisco; I wouldn't know about that.

Scientology victims aren't stupid: they wonder why it is that they're told the org is closed for 'renovations' and yet next day, nothing's been redecorated. They wonder why they aren't permitted to talk to these people who disagree with them. They wonder what happened to 'confront' and why all the curtains are drawn in the middle of the day. They wonder how a sign saying "free hugs" constitutes 'hate' or 'suppression', and they wonder why these groups of people who they are told are 'terrorists' haven't actually done anything illegal. They wonder why it's an awful lot quieter around the org than it used to be, a decade ago, despite all the expansion that COB is talking about.

All the innocent ones are on their way out.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Update from SF Weekly

SF Org sent out an OT 8 today in order to shatter suppression. :eyeroll:
He brought out a graph with him showing that the protests from Anonymous have caused SF Org stats to go into Affluence. :biggrin:

Here's an update from SF Weekly as well as a video from some Anon's

Scientology vs. Anonymous: Spin War Over a Potential Defector

By Lauren Smiley Fri., Sep. 9 2011 at 12:00 PM

There's more intrigue surrounding the debate over who won the latest battle in the three-year war between San Francisco's Church of Scientology and Anonymous - the Internet-born movement of masked protesters outside the Columbus Street church who warn people it's a money-hungry cult.

Anonymous has been toasting "ethicstrouble," a purported Scientologist who wrote on a local Anonymous message board that the group's protests convinced him or her that "something is really wrong" with the church, and that he or she now wants to leave. Meanwhile, Jeff Quiros, the president of the San Francisco church, said in our story yesterday he believes Anonymous itself is behind the defector.

Wait, it gets better. Quiros' theory continues: Anonymous was shamed by a graph (in the picture above) that a Scientologist showed the protesters last week indicating the number of visitors coming in off the street was skyrocketing. So, he says, Anonymous had to fight back by creating an apostate.

Obviously, there's no verifying the amount of people the church claims are coming in its door. There's also no verifying that the defector isn't just an Anonymous member. So we're left with a spin war highlighting the hilarious culture clash between oh-so-serious Scientologists and irreverent Anons. It's sort of the equivalent of righteous Christ Boy taking on the video gamer playing Magic in your lunchroom.

To sum up, Jerry, a Scientologist, comes out in his mustache, suit and tie and puts his hands on his hips looking at the protesters dancing like fools on the corner. He calls them over to look at a graph on a piece of paper that he claims shows the number of people coming into the church since Anonymous has been protesting is flying off the charts. The tone from both parties is shrouded in a heavy dose of sarcasm.

Jerry: "You oughta get pictures of this, look at this graph! That's the number of people who've come in since you guys have been protesting. So I need you guys to be out here more often."

Moog: "So what's the bottom line?"

Jerry: "This is the number of people that are coming into the organization." [He follows the upward-trending line with his finger.]

Moog: "That's cool, because you're the only org [Scientology church] that's expanding."

Jerry: "I know, it's amazing. So you guys need to be out here more!"

Moog posted the video, with a caption drenched in faux enthusiasm: "San Francisco Scientology Jerry OTVIII brings out a fancy graph showing how Anonymous protesting has actually helped Scientology increase business!! Looks totally legit!!"

Well, Quiros says Moog's incredulous reaction to the graph made Anonymous have to eat crow and create the fake defector. "It looks to me like an attempt to cover over the booboo made by Anonymoog, saying that these statistics look correct and congratulating [Jerry] on the expansion."

Anonymous thinks it's the Scientologists that are lying about their numbers increasing. "They've been saying that for the last three years as part of their party line," says one protester. He said Anonymous members think it's "pathetic" that the Scientologists would go to such lengths to try to dispirit them. "That was really surprising, like why are they sending out this high-powered guy? ... Like is it that bad that you have to do this?"

Moog tells SF Weekly they will continue to protest with their quirky tactics. "I'm doing this for them, though they absolutely can't see that. In 'The Yellow Submarine' from 1969, the heroes not only neutralize the bullies, but win them over through music and dance and love. It's 'Yellow Submarine' tech!"

The war continues.

Follow us on Twitter at @SFWeekly and @TheSnitchSF
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/09/scientology_vs_anonymous_spin.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsFCyIBpX88&feature=player_embedded

pollywog

Patron with Honors
Can I just say, this is my favorite thread. Either way, I look at it it's a win. It's OUT THERE IN THE INTERWEB now. If seen, maybe others will start to doubt. Though I'm really not sure if those still in even know how to Google. [Me, having doubts].

Re: Update from SF Weekly

He brought out a graph with him showing that the protests from Anonymous have caused SF Org stats to go into Affluence. :biggrin:

It's actually pretty sad to see an OT leave the safety of the confines in his natural habitat and try to use his worthless Hubbard Tech on a non-Scientologists. He has no idea that people not interested in playing Scientology are not in the slighted effected by his silly ass grade school reverse psychology 'Tech'.

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is wonderful news and result! Thank you Anons!!
See...Davey is right...Something CAN be done about it!

I feel sorry for the SF staff and efforts the execs will go to to try to ferret out the poster!

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Re: Update from SF Weekly

Oh goody, they like us protesting! Cool! Anons will deliver I am sure!

Yay! Moar!

:dance: (with an OT's hearty approval too!)

:lol::lol::lol: :scnsucks: :lol::lol::lol:

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
I can see it now...

officialsanctionedprotest-1.jpg