What's new

Australian PM 'concerned' about Scientology

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26366760-29277,00.html

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd says he has concerns about the Church of Scientology but wants to see what material independent senator Nick Xenophon has before committing to a parliamentary inquiry.

Senator Xenophon yesterday told Parliament there was criminal activity within the church and has called for a Senate inquiry into Scientology's tax exempt status.

Senator Xenophon has also called for police to investigate the church after being contacted by a number of former Scientologists who accused the organisation of shocking crimes.

Senator Xenophon said their correspondence implicated the organisation in a range of crimes, including forced imprisonment, coerced abortions, physical violence and blackmail.

Asked about the senator's claims, Mr Rudd described them as "grave allegations".

"Many people in Australia have real concerns about Scientology," Mr Rudd said.

"I share some of those concerns. Let us proceed carefully and look carefully at the material he has provided before we make a decision on further parliamentary action."

Asked about the Church of Scientology's tax exempt status, Mr Rudd said he was advised the High Court had dealt with the matter back in the 1980s.

"I am so advised, but I stand to be corrected," he said.

"Therefore the true question is the actual nature of the operations that involve Scientology now.

"I don't want to rush into any judgment on this, other than to say he's (Senator Xenophon) raised concerns and made some serious allegations."

Smilla

Ordinary Human

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26366760-29277,00.html

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd says he has concerns about the Church of Scientology but wants to see what material independent senator Nick Xenophon has before committing to a parliamentary inquiry.

Senator Xenophon yesterday told Parliament there was criminal activity within the church and has called for a Senate inquiry into Scientology's tax exempt status.

Senator Xenophon has also called for police to investigate the church after being contacted by a number of former Scientologists who accused the organisation of shocking crimes.

Senator Xenophon said their correspondence implicated the organisation in a range of crimes, including forced imprisonment, coerced abortions, physical violence and blackmail.

Asked about the senator's claims, Mr Rudd described them as "grave allegations".

"Many people in Australia have real concerns about Scientology," Mr Rudd said.

"I share some of those concerns. Let us proceed carefully and look carefully at the material he has provided before we make a decision on further parliamentary action."

Asked about the Church of Scientology's tax exempt status, Mr Rudd said he was advised the High Court had dealt with the matter back in the 1980s.

"I am so advised, but I stand to be corrected," he said.

"Therefore the true question is the actual nature of the operations that involve Scientology now.

"I don't want to rush into any judgment on this, other than to say he's (Senator Xenophon) raised concerns and made some serious allegations."

Well done Australia.

supafreak

Patron Meritorious
somuchwin.png

Happy Days

Silver Meritorious Patron
Bump

OK so we surprised the enemy and we have delivered our first war cry but it is only the beginning of this journey.

We need to push push push the enemy back and move forward ... so write to your Ministers and make it know about violations of human rights, bullying, coerced abortions, financial hardship, misrepresentation on services results et al.

Let's go people... :thumbsup:

fnx3

Patron with Honors
6.30 Today Tonight!

Can anyone record this? 6.30 pm Today Tonight, Prime.

V. good timing with Anon picket/protests scheduled for Nov 21st!