What's new

CNN Showbiz tonight discuss Cruise 3/25

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Below is a transcript of what aired Nationally on CNN Showbiz tonight yesterday.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0803/25/sbt.01.html

I highlighted what I thought was a very interesting comment.

SHOWBIZ TONIGHT

Aired March 25, 2008 - 23:00:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Captain Flash is not a super hero. OK? I am.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

HAMMER: Yeah. That`s no super hero. It`s cruise. Tom cruise. Well, it`s not actually tom cruise. Somebody playing tom. Very funny stuff. A spot-on impersonation. Coming up your first look at a new movie that just rips into him and Scientology. But come on, is it really fair? That`s next.

Also, there is another very talked about video making the rounds these days. "Hannah Montana" star Miley Cyrus, she loves Jesus and she wants everybody to know about it. You have got to see this. It is a side of Miley you have not seen before.

Also, I am sending the SHOWBIZ truth squad out to check this out. George Clooney starting up a clothing line? Yeah, I`m talking men`s clothing, women`s, accessories, everything. Come on. Is this for real? We`ll get into that coming up.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: ... is not a super hero. OK? I am.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

HAMMER: So is that really Tom Cruise going off on another rant or is it a Tom Cruise impostor? Welcome back to SHOWBIZ TONIGHT. This is TV`s most provocative entertainment news show. I`m A.J. Hammer in New York and tonight SHOWBIZ TONIGHT bringing you two viral videos involving two huge stars including this one of Miley Cyrus. Now, take a look. It`s no Hannah Montana video but Mylie and her friends singing the praises of Jesus. You will see why they`re doing that in just a moment.

Back with us tonight in Hollywood, Jane Velez-Mitchell. Investigative journalist and author of "Secrets Can Be Murder." In New York tonight, Mark Lamont Hill is back with us. Assistant professor at Temple University. So guys here`s the deal with the Tom Cruise movie. This is out of a new movie called "Superhero Movie" and I want you to take a very close look.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: This hero, this -- this Dragonfly, he`s not the answer. OK? I`m the answer. I got -- I`m just -- whew. You know? Hah. I`m -- I`m the way to happiness. OK? I`m the way to peace. I can -- I can unite cultures. I can eat planets. I mean, I just -- I mean ...

(END VIDEO CLIP)

HAMMER: I love that line. I can eat planets. That is not Tom Cruise. A great impression and of course he is spoofing Tom`s now infamous Church of Scientology tape. Jane Velez-Mitchell, what do you think? Funny as it is, should Tom be a little ticked off at this given that Tom is working really hard to change his image over the past couple of years?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, first of all, let me say who needs Tom Cruise when you have this guy? He is brilliant. This is a genius interpretation. I had to put my glasses on literally to make sure it wasn`t Tom Cruise. He has him down. But, yeah, I can understand why Tom Cruise might be upset. Obviously, he is a follower of Scientology and now it seems it`s open season on Scientology these days after many years where people were intimidated and afraid to say anything negative about this religion. The flood gates have opened and not the same thing with another religion such as Catholicism. So that`s not fair but it is fair to criticize Tom Cruise. He has opened the door with his wildly inappropriately behavior and his commentary and that`s the other side of the fame. You don`t just get the jets and the beautiful women and people kowtowing. You also are held to a higher standard. Almost like politician.

HAMMER: It is part of the price of fame. Mark Lamont Hill, let me go to you, as a great defender of celebrities everywhere, what do you think? Is this just something that comes with the territory?

HILL: You know, normally I`m on board of defending celebrities but there is no defending Tom Cruise. The reason he had to repair his image is he`s making Scientology look like a cult. I`m not saying it is a cult. Telling people how to handle the pregnancy and acting as if he has all the answers to the universe, he makes Scientology look crazy so I have absolutely no sympathy to them. He looks like a "Saturday Night Live" skit when he acts himself.

HAMMER: How would you like to see some more? Roll it, Charles. Let`s see.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He sees an accident. He`s just going to run on by. I`m going to stop. Because I`m a hero. Now today, there aren`t a lot of accidents. You have to make accidents. I like to throw little nails in the street. An accident happened. I`m the only one who can run up there to stop it.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

HAMMER: Now Jane, Tom is good at staying low lately. Even though it`s obviously a spoof, a joke, do you think that this is going to get people thinking that over the top Tom Cruise`s back once again? Should he be concerned? Ten seconds for you.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yeah. He should be concerned. Again, suspension of disbelief is what we seek in the movies and we can`t get Tom Cruise out of our heads. The real Tom Cruise and get into his characters in film anymore making a spectacle of himself as a human being.

HAMMER: It is something funny to watch, though. Mark Lamont Hill. Jane Velez-Mitchell. I thank you both for being with us tonight. There`s another video that`s making the rounds on the Web and everybody is talking about it. You`ll want to see this. Hannah Montana`s Mylie Cyrus, she loves Jesus and wants everyone to know about it. You`ve got to see it. A side of Miley you haven`t seen before.

That`s coming up.