What's new

I'm an Ex Scn and Atheist - How many atheists are here at the board?

SuperPowers

Patron with Honors
I'm an atheist now.

I don't believe in super natural things any more.

Science and reason is my ground.

I love arts and music.

I hate religious violence and oppression.

I despise fake science and knowledge.

And that goes for Hubbard and his phone ideology.

What are you today my ex scn friend?

Are you still some sort of a religious believer or are you a non-believer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Te4zkbgeuw&t=1204s

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I'm an atheist now.

I love arts and music.

Right or wrong I'm with you all the way on all of your criteria! :thumbsup:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm an atheist now.

I love arts and music.

I am an OriginalBigBlueologist. What is true for me is true for me and what is true for me is that there may be a god and there may be spirituality and there may not, but Scientology is not the answer.

Hypatia

Pagan
I'm an atheist now.

I love arts and music.

Yes, I'm still woo woo. I like a lot of New Age theories. I never was against science so haven't had any trouble with that, post-Scio.

just to be serious for once, and answer the OP question - I believe in the concept that man is a spiritual being wearing a meat body that is fantastically complex, and the complexity and specialization of the various parts of all life forms overrules the possibility it all evolved from some primordial soup. All these parts ( eyes, brains, toes, dolphin's echolocation systems, etc. on and on) appears to have be designed, and evolve as time goes by.

I also believe that there is some sort of ESP phenomena that goes on which I have posted about many times, which is a native ability of the spiritual being.

An interesting book to read is the Holographic Universe book or the book: The Sense of being stared at. by Rupert Sheldrake
https://www.amazon.com/Holographic-...713&sr=8-1&keywords=holographic+universe+book

https://www.amazon.com/Sense-Being-..._SR214,320_&psc=1&refRID=50DGNSZ5AK9Q2D8PHMQG

Here's a video by Rupert about science and it's materialistic viewpoint to the exclusion of anything else.

[video=youtube;JKHUaNAxsTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHUaNAxsTg[/video]

Now, I have nothing against Atheists, or any other religious / spiritual belief system as long as they allow me to believe in what I want (Mimseyism - the world's smallest cult, consisting of one adherent / guru) so if you want to believe there's no god or whatever in hell made this place, go for it.

But please remember - I am he as you are he as you are me, and we are all together. Or this:

[video=youtube;etN0h_e5rvI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etN0h_e5rvI&list=RDetN0h_e5rvI[/video]

Mimsey

Last edited:

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
I don't have a specific label since it can mean different things to different people in different cultures. I'm definitely not religious in any sense of the word. Maybe somewhere between atheist and agnostic with an open mind to the possibility of something spiritual in a nebulous way.

No wonder I'm so messed up!

Last edited:

strativarius

just to be serious for once, and answer the OP question - I believe in the concept that man is a spiritual being wearing a meat body that is fantastically complex, and the complexity and specialization of the various parts of all life forms overrules the possibility it all evolved from some primordial soup. [highlight]All these parts ( eyes, brains, toes, dolphin's echolocation systems, etc. on and on) appears to have be designed, and evolve as time goes by[/highlight].<snip>

I'm sorry Mimsey, but to me it looks like you've contradicted yourself. Either eyes and brains etc. were designed, or they evolved, it's one or the other. If 'god' was clever enough to design an eye, why invent an inefficient one and have it improve through evolution? Surely he'd (or she'd) create a perfect one straight off.

I don't believe in your 'ghost in the machine', and if ESP exists, old matey with his one million dollars is still waiting for someone to claim it. Sorry.

Nothing would give me a bigger rush than to learn that exteriorisation, ESP, mind melding and all the other stuff was a reality, after all, that's what most of us got into scientology for. Unfortunately, it's not. Get over it.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Logic, common sense, do-the-right-thing... That is what I believe in.

There may or may not be a God or spirit realm, but either way it wouldn't change how I conduct my life. I definitely don't believe in the "Jesus died for your sins" BS. As Spock would say "it's illogiical".

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I'm an atheist now.

I love arts and music.

Same than you all the way
except the first stance

I think (a thought - not a belief\certainty) that there are many things related to the creation of universe and life that are mysterious to me since I don't understand all related processes or how it cam eup. It is possible there is another dimension of life , in which spirits\souls whatever may evolve. I don't know! :confused2:

So, I accept I don't know what I don't know and that I will never understand it. Even with God..I don't know what it is..fabulation , a higher state of beingness ???? but I think it may be related to a perfect intelligence and love , if it does exist.

I like to keep an open frame of discoveries for when my last moment here, on this planet...lol..end up...that would be like the begining of a new journey. (Actually, this is my main cognitive dissonance - I try to make sens of non-sense things with this stuff and I am aware of it)

Otherwise there will be nobody, no identity, no I am, no awareness anymore to know there is nothing...thus no disappointment...

Facing aging, I tend to give up on any belief, observe life as it is, and I am left with this question:

Why would it be different for us than other life forms ?????
(god, paradise heaven and all this stuff..)
Is it just that we have a more evolved awareness (self-awareness we share with some other primates) and brain 2.0 which allow us to many fabulations and quests ????

Last edited:
I'm sorry Mimsey, but to me it looks like you've contradicted yourself. Either eyes and brains etc. were designed, or they evolved, it's one or the other. If 'god' was clever enough to design an eye, why invent an inefficient one and have it improve through evolution? Surely he'd (or she'd) create a perfect one straight off.

I don't believe in your 'ghost in the machine', and if ESP exists, old matey with his one million dollars is still waiting for someone to claim it. Sorry.

Nothing would give me a bigger rush than to learn that exteriorisation, ESP, mind melding and all the other stuff was a reality, after all, that's what most of us got into scientology for. Unfortunately, it's not. Get over it.
Au contraire, mon ami, au contraire.

They work hand in glove. If you design a mechanism that evolves, then it can cope with changes in the environment. If you don't, it becomes obsolete. Like our white furred polar bear - if the polar ice cap melts faster than it can evolve - that puppy will die out.

So you don't believe in ESP or you haven't experienced it? Or you have experienced it and invalidated it? Or it doesn't make any sense because there's no physical law that explains it?

Take a few moments and watch the previous video I posted by Rupert. There's a tremendous bias or prejudice in science against anything that smacks of anything like esp. Why is that?

I am currently listening to another, (see below) which point's out the key reason atheists are returning to a belief in god or spirituality: The inability of science to explain consciousness.

Mimsey

[video=youtube;oxsNpMpPT3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxsNpMpPT3Q[/video]

strativarius

Au contraire, mon ami, au contraire.

They work hand in glove. If you design a mechanism that evolves, then it can cope with changes in the environment. If you don't, it becomes obsolete. Like our white furred polar bear - if the polar ice cap melts faster than it can evolve - that puppy will die out.

Look, you are conceding that evolution occurs, why do you have to spoil it all by adding the woo woo dimension?

So you don't believe in ESP or you haven't experienced it? Or you have experienced it and invalidated it? Or it doesn't make any sense because there's no physical law that explains it?

I don't believe in ESP Mimsey, because there is not one shred of evidence that says it exists.

Take a few moments and watch the previous video I posted by Rupert. There's a tremendous bias or prejudice in science against anything that smacks of anything like esp. Why is that?

I can't watch vids Mimsey, my computer's not up to the job. All they do is make it very tedious for me to navigate the pages of this thread.

I am currently listening to another, (see below) which point's out the key reason [highlight]atheists are returning to a belief in god or spirituality[/highlight]: The inability of science to explain consciousness.

Are they? Just because Sheldrake says they are doesn't make it true. I read his book on morphic resonance and I thought it was very interesting, however, if he was able to succeed where science has failed and can explain consciousness, how come I don't know anything about it? If it were true it would be a world shattering discovery, but I don't have to watch your vid to know that it is just his little pet theory.

Look, you are conceding that evolution occurs, why do you have to spoil it all by adding the woo woo dimension?

I don't believe in ESP Mimsey, because there is not one shred of evidence that says it exists.

I can't watch vids Mimsey, my computer's not up to the job. All they do is make it very tedious for me to navigate the pages of this thread.

Are they? Just because Sheldrake says they are doesn't make it true. I read his book on morphic resonance and I thought it was very interesting, however, if he was able to succeed where science has failed and can explain consciousness, how come I don't know anything about it? If it were true it would be a world shattering discovery, but I don't have to watch your vid to know that it is just his little pet theory.

What do you mean there's not a shred of evidence? There many accounts of it.

I haven't read that book by him, but I am starting on the science one he wrote.

I agree, just because if he says it, doesn't make it true.

I have experienced plenty of ESP like stuff, but that doesn't make it true for you, only me.

That's why I asked:
to see if you ever did experience any thing in that realm. I had a friend who was like minded to you in not believing in spiritual stuff, and I asked if there was ever a time he was out of his body - he told me of an experience where he was sleeping in bed, floating near the ceiling, and saw the mirror on the ceiling began to fall - he jerked his body aside and the mirror disintegrated on his bed where he was laying. It could be explained away with: he was dreaming and heard the Velcro or screws give way and woke and moved in a split second. Or it could be as he said.

Do you have any such memories, say when you were younger, or even as a child, when you experienced anything of a spiritual nature?

Mimsey

Hey Strat - what do you think about this? Mimsey

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ted-Our-son-World-War-II-pilot-come-life.html

Reincarnated! Our son is a World War II pilot come back to life

By Zoe Brennan for the Daily Mail
Updated: 19:29 EST, 28 August 2009

It sounds totally beyond belief. But read the tantalising evidence from this boy's family and you may start to wonder...

The agonised screams pierced the air. 'Plane on fire! Airplane crash.' In the dark, a two-year-old boy was just visible, writhing on his bed in the grip of horror. 'He was lying there on his back, kicking and clawing at the covers like he was trying to kick his way out of a coffin,' remembers the boy's father.

'I thought, this looks like The Exorcist. I half expected his head to spin around like that little girl in the movie. But then I heard what James was saying.'

Over and over again, the tiny child screamed: 'Plane on fire! Little man can't get out.' For his shocked parents, these nightly scenes were traumatic.

For experts, they were baffling.

As the nightmares became more terrifying, the child started screaming the name of the 'little man' who couldn't get out of the plane. It was James - like his own name. He also talked in his dreams of 'Jack Larsen', 'Natoma' and 'Corsair'.

James Leininger's father, Bruce, was flummoxed. In a desperate attempt to find an answer to his son's troubled nights, he embarked on an obsessive three-year research project, armed only with the outbursts and names his son had been shouting in his disturbed sleep.

What he discovered astonished and perplexed him, and drove him to an extraordinary conclusion.

A lifelong Christian, it was not the answer he had sought for his son's behaviour. But he came to believe James was the reincarnation of a World War II fighter pilot; a man who had been shot down in his plane and struggled to escape as it caught fire; a hero. James Huston

The idea seems so preposterous as to be unbelievable. Yet in their new book, Soul Survivor: The Reincarnation Of A World War II Fighter Pilot, Bruce and his wife, Andrea, lay out some compelling evidence.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...rld-War-II-pilot-come-life.html#ixzz4HGAkXLmV
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/689...i-pilot-ided-vessel-crash-site-other-details/

strativarius

What do you mean there's not a shred of evidence? There many accounts of it.

There are many accounts of the Loch Ness Monster.

I have experienced plenty of ESP like stuff, but that doesn't make it true for you, only me.

Quite.

That's why I asked: to see if you ever did experience any thing in that realm. I had a friend who was like minded to you in not believing in spiritual stuff, and I asked if there was ever a time he was out of his body - he told me of an experience where he was sleeping in bed, floating near the ceiling, and saw the mirror on the ceiling began to fall - he jerked his body aside and the mirror disintegrated on his bed where he was laying. It could be explained away with: he was dreaming and heard the Velcro or screws give way and woke and moved in a split second. Or it could be as he said.

I'm sorry, but this is completely unreal to me. You talk about 'sleeping in bed, floating near the ceiling' as though everybody does that all the time. To me that is just hallucinatory.

Do you have any such memories, say when you were younger, or even as a child, when you experienced anything of a spiritual nature?

No, but talking about hallucinations I took a lot of really good acid in the sixties. It taught me that there is a very slender veil between what passes as 'reality' and what else is 'out there'. Perhaps with people of your persuasion the veil gets lifted more often, and you don't need a drug to get started. As Hubbard said in the Clearing Course materials, remember, it's all in your mind. :biggrin:

There are many accounts of the Loch Ness Monster.
Quite.

I'm sorry, but this is completely unreal to me. You talk about 'sleeping in bed, floating near the ceiling' as though everybody does that all the time. To me that is just hallucinatory.

No, but talking about hallucinations I took a lot of really good acid in the sixties. It taught me that there is a very slender veil between what passes as 'reality' and what else is 'out there'. Perhaps with people of your persuasion the veil gets lifted more often, and you don't need a drug to get started. As Hubbard said in the Clearing Course materials, remember, it's all in your mind. :biggrin:
That's fine. it's that old Scientology saw - what's real for you is real for you. I have no argument with what you say - that Nessie wasn't an actual plesiosaur or that many believe stuff that's hallucinatory or imaginary.

But, I question the absolutness of there being no shred of evidence.

I only did acid once - some Sandoz that was made for clinical research, so it wasn't cut like most street acid. But that's neither here nor there.

it's too bad really the dinosaurs didn't survive the Chicxulub meteor strike - what fun that could have been:

latest

Mimsey

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
I'm an atheist now.

I love arts and music.

I think I understand mon, I find believing in anything rather self-defeating. If yer curious enough I put some items up on the my blog thingy-thing here on where I'm at.

Yeh I know more Canucks are irritated by Rush than most all else peoples, but this onge always stuck with me. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpOyQhgM1FU

:cheers:

Rem, you are never alone when you look out.
:)