What's new

Leaving the church and wanting repayment.

Hello,
I was in Scn off and on for several years. A few months back I was having a particularly down time in my life and decided that maybe I should just trust the church and really really comit myself to Scn and make some real and lasting positive change in my life.
I purchased 15 intensives, lectures and books. Then I took vacation and went to STL for my trip up the bridge. I was getting TR's and Objectives and it was going OK... I knew a girl in LA and now her boss kept calling me and basically doing a crush sale pitch for me to buy the congresses right away. I told her I was way over my head in debt and not to bother me since I was trying to get some help here in STL. Well, everyday I got calls and it was really messing up my progress... When the 10 days were over, I had not completed the TR's and Objectives and I did not feel good about the experience. Simply, I was thinking this is a scam...a ripoff.

I got home and started checking around on the internet and was surprised at myself for not seeking out this info earlier. Wholly cow! Scn is really really really bad. Alot of misguided people by someone with evil intentions. They really are just out for the money.

I have requested a total repayment for the substantial amount still on account and even flew back their for correction. They have had my paperwork in LA for 6 weeks now and they are still keeping me in the dark.

I'm ready to get a lawyer and fight for my money....I should have asked for refund too!!!! I hate Scientology!!!! And, my heart goes out for the Scientologist that has not figured it out yet!

Tim Skog

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm glad you figured it out before you got to far in. Yeah, you might have to get a lawyer to get your money back. Be careful about signing any paper work from the Church for your refund.

Other than that, Welcome to ESMB.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
On account should be fairly simple, while a 'refund' gets more sticky. It's probably worth while to hire an attorney to write a 'demand' letter, which shouldn't be particularly expensive and doesn't require more action.

There's lots of info on getting money back on ESMB and plenty of people to help. Not me :) I dunno shit, except that the 'Church' hates hearing from lawyers.

Good luck; and, don't sign any 'releases'.

Zinj

Encouraging remarks

Thanks for all the positive remarks!

I am a little confused about the release. Doesn't Scn require a signed release before awarding a repayment? How can I get around this? Also, what type of lawyer should I seek out for this?

Working with Scn is like dealing with a third world country!!! At first I was like,just give me my money and maybe I will come back someday. Now, they have pissed me off and I hope they lose their tax free status. Their is NO WAY they should be tax exempt! NO WAY!

I tried to sale my lectures (Still in plastic) on Ebay. Ebay, sent me a message saying I could not sale them... I found a large dumpster, for the lectures and books. I burned all the stuff that had any personal info or had been written in...

I do hate to sign some release that would prevent my freedom of speech regarding Scn....but, I do want my money back...

Yeah, Scn made a fool out of me. But, I'm a fool no more;)

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks for all the positive remarks!

I am a little confused about the release. Doesn't Scn require a signed release before awarding a repayment? How can I get around this? Also, what type of lawyer should I seek out for this?

Working with Scn is like dealing with a third world country!!! At first I was like,just give me my money and maybe I will come back someday. Now, they have pissed me off and I hope they lose their tax free status. Their is NO WAY they should be tax exempt! NO WAY!

I tried to sale my lectures (Still in plastic) on Ebay. Ebay, sent me a message saying I could not sale them... I found a large dumpster, for the lectures and books. I burned all the stuff that had any personal info or had been written in...

I do hate to sign some release that would prevent my freedom of speech regarding Scn....but, I do want my money back...

Yeah, Scn made a fool out of me. But, I'm a fool no more;)

How long ago did you try to sell them?

Zinjifar

I decided to give this person a "break" and editted my post for verification.
Hubbards Tapes have been sold on Ebay for a long time.

A *very* long time. The only 'restrictions' I can think of were with e-meters, which went 'open market' on e-bay last year.

Zinj

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
You have to sign your own expulsion form. Or at least my husband and I had to.

I would NOT get an attorney. It only pisses them off. Six weeks isn't too bad.

Just send a letter stating you are no longer interested in being a Scn or doing any more services and that you'd like "all money on account returned" to you.

Repayment = money on account
Refund = attorney and long legal battle

You can refuse to do the routing form. Most people I've helped get a repayment has refused to do the routing form. And still gets their repayment.

There are other threads about repayments. You may want to read those for more information.

Selling LRH on Ebay

About a month and a half ago. Also, most of the LRH stuff was that "appeared" to be sold on Ebay was going for peanuts. I'm just glad to be rid of the garbage...

Can I cuss on here? Because I want to...lol

X

Zinjifar

About a month and a half ago. Also, most of the LRH stuff was that "appeared" to be sold on Ebay was going for peanuts. I'm just glad to be rid of the garbage...

Can I cuss on here? Because I want to...lol

X

ESMB is an adult forum, so, yes you can cuss. However, you run the risk of being 'evaluated' for the creativity of your cussing and found lacking.

Zinj

DCAnon

Silver Meritorious Patron
Anything signed under duress or that covers up illegal activities including intimidation, harassment, or any abuse you saw while in is illegal and won't ever hold up in court. If they tell you that you can't talk about these things in order to get your money back, they have zero legal standing to make you or to enforce it.

Rediculous routing form for repayment

I have already done the routing form and they have had it in their cold hands for 6 weeks tomorrow. How long do you think it will take? My terminal, the chaplain at STL said I will have to return to STL org to get my refund. I have no problem with that...I'll fly over there at a moments notice to get that check in my hand! Fucking bastards!!

So how long should I patiently wait on my repayment until I mail off a nasty official "give me my money or I'll write to every government official I can think of a and beg them to revoke tax exempt status" letter. Of course I may just do that any fucking way...lol

You guys rock! Thank you! It feels great to discuss this and vent a little to some that actually understand...

x

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
So what did eBay say exactly? It sounds very odd that you can't sell lectures there as lots of people sell that stuff there (very cheaply because no-one wants to pay much for it).

Paul

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well done on getting out speedbrake! :thumbsup:

Getting a repayment isn’t always straightforward, they will attempt to delay you until you give up – or until you show that you really mean business.

My suggestion is firstly to decide whether you just want to get back the money on account, or everything you have ever paid.

The first can be done relatively quickly, but the latter will take a lot of effort. The reason you need to decide between the two is that if you decide to take legal action, you cannot usually do it in two parts. Getting legal advice is a good first step.

If you want a repayment, then write to your local paper, TV station, Trading Standards (or equivalent), state representative, – anyone you can think of and tell them how dishonest the ‘Church’ of Scientology is. Then, get your lawyer to send a letter asking for payment, specifying the amount and give a time frame to reply within. This shows that you mean business.

Then, send a letter to your local OSA department (or even OSA Int) telling them what you have done and make it clear that this is just the start. This is important, as OSA deal with legal stuff and they won’t want any more problems on their lines. They may not be aware of your claim and will put pressure on your org to find the money. One thing the CoS really hate, is to be exposed as the cheats that they are.

If this doesn’t get the job done, be prepared to tell more people how the CoS are cheating you and finally be prepared to take it to court.

If you want to get the whole amount back, be prepared for a long and arduous legal battle – they won’t want to lose this one as it sets a precedent.

But, in any case do not sign any waiver limiting your rights to free speech. You are only obliged to give them a receipt for the money. They will try and pressure you to sign something agreeing to not discuss it and not to help anyone else in a similar position. But, if you stick to your guns, they will back down.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

Axiom142

proprietary..that's what they said

Ebay said it was proprietary and could not be sold. A few years back I tried to sell Rosette Stone software and the same thing happened.

I appreciate all the advice I have received here. Thank You.:eyeroll:

Speedbrake,

Glad to see you made it out, and glad you found this place, there are a lot of really good people here who truly do care and want to help as a community should. The information on this forum is invaluable for anyone who was involved with the cult. If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you look on the internet prior to signing up for the intensives and courses. I'm kind of curious if there was anything specific that kept you from researching the internet prior to signing up for the courses and intensives

Feral

Rogue male
We got our repayment. It took 12 weeks.

Basically they will pay you when you force them too.

You DO NOT need to go to the org at all. It is not required and I refused, it is a ruse to get their hands on you to 'handle' you, should they succeed in handling you they will keep you from going up the bridge and will sec check you for years. You will never be trusted and you will know it and be made to feel it.

My advice is don't go, just force them to send you a check.